1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dubbing NTSC to PAL

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by adrianmorris, Jan 15, 2003.

1. adrianmorris

adrianmorris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have an NTSC format VHS tape that I want to dub to VHS.

I have an Aiwa 5900 with NTSC playback that provides a good signal to a 7 yr old TV, which I had assumed was in PAL format.

I am connecting the Aiwa 5900 to an older (non NTSC playback)Aiwa 3500 in order to try to dub the tape.

Whichever way I connect the 5900 to the 3500 (SCART to SCART, aerial cable or SCART to video/audio), the Aiwa 3500 sees a garbled picture which has 3 images on the screen at once, at top , middle and bottom of the screen.

I am new to all of this. Please could somebody give me some advice or tell me where I am going wrong.

Thanks,
    Adrian Morris

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    You can't do what you are trying to do with the equipment you have.

There are three important things that 'describe' a TV signal:

1) Number of lines. NTSC=525; PAL=625.
    2) Refresh rate (field frequency). NTSC=60hz; PAL=50hz.
    3) Colour carrier. NTSC=NTSC; PAL=PAL.

Your playback VCR exploits the ability of most PAL-only TVs to be able to understand the first two attributes of an NTSC signal - 525 lines, 60hz. However PAL-only TVs can't cope with the NTSC colour carrier. They need PAL. So your VCR outputs a hybrid signal which is 525 lines, 60hz, PAL colour. The TV copes with this.

HOWEVER

your recording VCR can only cope with true PAL - 625 lines, 50hz, PAL. The disturbance you are seeing is because it can't cope at all with 525 lines and/or 60hz.

To do what you want, you will need a full standards converter (or a VCR with one on board). There are rare and expensive. (Standards converter, from about GBP300 upwards; VCR about GBP500 upwards).

Otherwise, some of the HC mags carry adverts for firms that will do this for you (provided the material isn't copyrighted).

3. adrianmorris

adrianmorris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel,

Thanks for your full and comprehensive reply.

I now understand why it doesn't work.

Adrian.