Dubbing in FR mode on Panny E85

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mike Woods, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Mike Woods

Mike Woods
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just recorded 1hr 40 mins worth of material on to my HDD. I tried dubbing it onto a DVD-R in FR mode, but the picture's awful and there's apparantly 30 mins worth of recording time in XP mode left on the DVD. What gives?

2. bk8

bk8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When I first got my E95 I read the guides and posts on the best ways of recording and archiving. It seemed best to record episodes/movies in FR following Rasczak's (forgive spelling if wrong) guide if the duration was already known.

This means encoding once to HDD in FR mode and a high speed dub so should mean better picture quality.

But then I noticed some unused space on DVD-Rs after high speed dubbing an FR mode recording from the HDD. And the PQ at times wasn't great.

I now record everything to HDD in XP and then use FR dub to DVD-R and this has resulted in no wasted space and less artifacts in busy scenes (to me at least).

Although this means encoding once in XP to HDD and again in FR to DVD-R I cannot tell the difference in PQ and am happy my disks get filled. I also don't worry anymore about calculating the duration of programmes.

3. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    It sounds like you mucked something up. When you dub in FR mode it should fill the whole DVD.

4. bk8

bk8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It does dubbing in FR from HDD to DVD-R.

But not when say recording episodes in FR to the HDD then high speed dub from HDD to DVD-R. Maybe 1-200MB left unused maybe more.

5. Mike Woods

Mike Woods
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, is it best to record from Freeview to HDD using XP mode, then dub to DVD in FR mode? Or should I record to HDD in FR than fast transfer to DVD?

That's a lot of abbreviations!

6. micke

micke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say you in most cases should go for:

HDD recording at XP
    DVD-R dubbing at FR

It then doesn't matter if you HDD record e.g. 10 minutes prior/after the programme you want to record since you anyway can delete the unwanted parts.

It takes a bit longer since you then have an extra real time recording (DVD-R dubbing) instead of a high speed dubbing, but I don't see this as a problem.

7. Mike Woods

Mike Woods
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    micke,

Wouldn't I then be losing quality because the prog was being encoded, and then encoded again?

8. micke

micke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you record 1 h 40 minutes to your HDD at XP and then DVD-R dub at FR I don't think you lose that much in quality compared to 1 h 40 minutes FR recording to HDD and then DVD-R dubbing at high speed, but...

The risk can (maybe) also be that you "waste" some quality if the first HDD recording is not totally correct in time.

With my eyes and my TV I have not noticed a significant difference between the two ways described above. Does anyone have another opinion?

9. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,957
    I'm sure that the one time I tried it I got some lip-synch problems. I dubbed from my Sky+ box onto the E85 HDD in XP mode and then used FR mode to burn to DVD after editing out all the adverts and stuff. It was the whole of the Paddy And Max series and I ended up redubbing from the Sky+ box onto the E85 in SP mode to give me 2 recordings of 80 mins each.

10. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Yeah, each run of encoding produces more and more lip-sync problems.

One pass, i.e. FR mode to the HDD is not noticeable, but XP to the HDD and then FR to DVD-R should be avoided.

In fact, as an experiment, I once tested this by recording to HDD, then to DVD-R, then back to HDD and finally back to DVD-R. The result was that voices were miles out of sync with the picture.

I always high speed dub to DVD-R to avoid this problem.

A good tip though is that although the panasonic will only allow 2 hours at SP mode to DVD-R, you can actually fit 2 hours 10 minutes by recording to HDD first and high speed dubbing afterwards.
    Since many films run just over 2 hours, this is very handy to know and produces better results than recording in FR mode for 2 hours 10 minutes.