DualShock 4

NightHawk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
What does everyone think about the redesigned Dualshock controller? Hopefully it will be a bit more comfortable and even more grippy than before with improved triggers. The concave anolog sticks are now similar to the Xbox controller. Will have to wait and see if the light bar proves useful or not.

Overall looks promising though and happy they didn't just stick with another Dualshock3/3.5

Dualshock-4-3-610x343.jpg

dualshock-4-controller-1.jpg

8492689737_24e99d4c82_h.jpg

I like it, looks chunkier and more solid than the DS3, I'm not overly keen on the big light bar but its a smile gripe.

Personally I think its a great improvement, although i fear they will be rather expensive!

Hopefully its a bit more meaty,but not one journo media or anybody other than a sony employee touched that controller that night.
For all we know it was a black case with a blue light in it that didnt work.
Design could change before launch,i could never hold a xbox pad thought they were uncomfy and ugly.
However the 360 pad is far superior i dont think people realise how important a great controller is sometimes,they need somethign that doesnt feel light and flimsy that has some weight in it and needs to be a little bigger as well.
The DS3 and the Sixaxis were poor felt cheap and designed for my 8 year old

They should of the stick where the D pad is..

They should of the stick where the D pad is..

But why would they? The two main inputs on modern games are the two sticks. So surely they should be symmetrical. I don't want to hold my controller like im milking a cow with one hand up and one hand down. Always find it strange when people think having one thumb higher than the other for 90% of their playtime is somehow enjoyable. The controller looks ergonomic and both thumbs sitting in the same place is perfect. Then lift each thumb of to the right or left for one of the games other buttons. Quick little lifts towards the outside of the pad, to jump, or 'action'.

Then again, each to their own.

Funny how the eggbox crew are in the PS4 section slagging off the DS3 and the PS4.
A lot of people prefer the DS3 over the eggbox contoller me included I don't like the way the analogue sticks are different heights and the controller is far to big and heavy and styled for children !

I love the look of it and definitely looks like a good upgrade from the DS3 which in my mind was pretty good anyway albeit a bit flimsey feeling.

Apparently DS3s won't work on the PS4 which is a shame but move controllers will. Hoping the steering wheels will though (DFGT), don;t want to have to buy another wheel!

Looks good and expensive...can't see it taking much throwing to break it:rotfl:

This generation I have been much more of an Xbox gamer, only really use my PS3 for Netflix and the occasional exclusive, and I have to say that the Dualshock 4 doesn't look that bad. I felt the DS3 wasn't heavy enough and the analogue sticks were a little close together to be comfy during long hours of gameplay, but the DS4 looks to be a bit chunkier and the buttons seem slightly better positioned. I think the controller looks alright and looking forward to trying it out. Hopefully the trigger buttons are better as well.

Funny how the eggbox crew are in the PS4 section slagging off the DS3 and the PS4.
A lot of people prefer the DS3 over the eggbox contoller me included I don't like the way the analogue sticks are different heights and the controller is far to big and heavy and styled for children !

funny-gif-Steve-Carell-laughing_zpsb00aaaf6.gif

:hiya:

Look the eggbox controller is far superior to the DS3 that my friend is a fact of life.
I hazard a guess that 80-90 percent of multiplatform owners prefer the eggbox controller.
Styled for children :rotfl:

I'm glad that the touch screen is small enough that you know it's just meant for support of a game and not massive that you HAVE to use it at all times during a game like you would have to in a 3ds game.

Personally I'd love the controller wider and I can't tell just how much wider it is from those pictures. I honestly hope the tension on the analog sticks aren't ANYTHING like the X360 controllers. You have to work in those sticks for a year to have the comfortable tension of a DS3 where you can easily just move it quickly but accurately to your target.

If MS fixed their controllers tension I probably would have played on the X360 a lot more, that was my major gripe. Oh, and the fact that you had to buy a ridiculous amount of peripherals if you wanted to get even close to the same type of experience you could get from PS3 straight out of the box.

:hiya:

Look the eggbox controller is far superior to the DS3 that my friend is a fact of life.
I hazard a guess that 80-90 percent of multiplatform owners prefer the eggbox controller.
Styled for children :rotfl:
Xbox-Controller_0.jpg

Sorry dude, but that controller looks more kid friendly to me... "LOOK AT ALL THE SHINY COLORS DADDY!"

Sorry dude, but that controller looks more kid friendly to me... "LOOK AT ALL THE SHINY COLORS DADDY!"

The colors have been there since xbox day 1 just like the oh look daddy its a circle and a triangle and a square:suicide:

Look each to their own im not bothered either way and ive held both controllers for hours on end and i know where the quality product lies.
I really wish some would use their opinion along with actual product testing not the 5 mins here 5mins there brigade.

I had an X360 for 2 years before I got the PS3.

Also LOVED the OG XBOX and those controllers (had a PS1/2, still played Halo enough to beat it on Legendary).

But it's cool, I guess that warrants 5 mins here and there in your eyes. Just exactly how much have you played with a DS3?

FYI, just cuz it's fatter, doesn't mean it's better quality. You could just as easily smash an xbox controller as you could a DS3. I've had some of my DS3's for 5 years and guess what, they still work great, the right analog stick on one is a little loose, but it still holds a charge and does what I need it to do. The only time any of my DS3's have broken are when kids have used what looks like a tiny funnel to get their orange juice in all the button crevices.

I had an X360 for 2 years before I got the PS3.

Also LOVED the OG XBOX and those controllers (had a PS1/2, still played Halo enough to beat it on Legendary).

But it's cool, I guess that warrants 5 mins here and there in your eyes. Just exactly how much have you played with a DS3?

FYI, just cuz it's fatter, doesn't mean it's better quality. You could just as easily smash an xbox controller as you could a DS3. I've had some of my DS3's for 5 years and guess what, they still work great, the right analog stick on one is a little loose, but it still holds a charge and does what I need it to do. The only time any of my DS3's have broken are when kids have used what looks like a tiny funnel to get their orange juice in all the button crevices.
Never had the original xbox the controller put me off:rotfl::rotfl:

I just like the shape and the weight of it comapred to the ds3 sixaxis the d-pad though is annoying its the worst thing about it.
I have very rarely used the d-pad in fact my fingers dont go anywhere near it,it takes me a while to adjust back to the ds3 as i find me using the dpad more.

I much prefer the PS controller, just much prefer the symmetry of the analogue sticks.

There were two problems with it though. Triggers, which is easily fixed for a quid, and the size of the grips which has led to be buying 3rd party controllers like snakebyte for replacement/additional controllers.

Looks like the DS4 addresses this. :)

But in the end of the day both systems have functional controllers and you get used to them. Anyone who selects their console system based on minor differences in the controller is (IMHO) a moron.

Last edited:
Ill throw it out there and say i dont mind either controller. I have no preference. I also like the wii u pro controller. That feels a bit like the 360 pad but a tad smaller.

Yah, I was trying to make the point that neither is better, just personal preference. That's why companies make PS3 style controllers for XBox and vice versa. Because people don't necessarily like how one feels whereas they like another.

Besides, it's common knowledge that a PS3 controller would kick an X360 controller ass in a 1v1 on Rust.

Yeah, I'd have to go with I don't really care, but if pushed, I prefer Sony's symmetry of the sticks, well, that and less chance of left stick wander, something that all 3 of my 360 pads have suffered...and a hate of their god awful thing Microsoft call a d-pad, ugh!

Ill throw it out there and say i dont mind either controller. I have no preference. I also like the wii u pro controller. That feels a bit like the 360 pad but a tad smaller.

I like both also :D

I would be all over the PS4 but for one thing, the controller. I have never liked the feel of the Playstation analogue sticks or their position.
Saying that, if the new Xbox turns out to be a turkey then I am pretty sure I will get used to the DS4 in a hurry.

I have big hands, and even I prefer the DS3 over my Xbox controller. Guess its each to their own, but the Xbox controller feels huge and cumbersome after playing PS3 for a while.

I guess it all comes down to familiarity and what we are used to.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom