1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dualdiscs release in europe

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by john R1, Mar 12, 2005.

1. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have read dualdiscs to be released in europe in april the last postings i read about dualdiscs were saying most makers of dvd players were advising people not to use them in there machines ? have i missed something or are they now saying they are compatable any ideas i did get a small response from arcam they said they should not damage there dvd-players not sure how it would affect warranty issues though

2. s70rmp

s70rmp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  3. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i got one dualdisc, imported from the states, and it has played fine in anything i've tried it in. haven't tried the slot loader in my car though, i can't help feeling a little nervous about that! in any player with a sliding drawer i can't really see how the disc could damage the machine, to me these scare stories have the slight odour of rival technology owners griping.

that was my sixty-ninth posting dude! i feel so immature, yet so happy! :clap:

4. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I had a DualDisc from the States aswell, but it didnt work properly in either of my DVD players. If they are serious about launching this format, they have to overcome the compatability issues. Until these problems are alleviated, I'll be steering clear of DualDiscs and sticking to SACD, DVD-A and Double Disc. :rolleyes:

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    This looks bad for SACD as Springsteen's label Columbia is the co-creator of SACD.

Isn't clear from the article though if the 5.1 content is just standard DVD multi-channel sound or DVD-A.

Know at least one person who has had problems with all four DualDiscs he imported, so going to wait this one out. Why don't they just do a double disc package if they want to do this kind of thing? :rolleyes:

6. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    From DualDisc's own website's FAQ page:

Where Can I Play A DualDisc?

We recommend using the DVD side if you have a DVD player in order to enjoy the entire album in enhanced audio and the additional DVD features. The DVD side plays wherever a DVD plays - including many gaming consoles and computers. In a PC, the DVD side acts like a DVD-ROM on DualDiscs that include computer extras and Web links. The CD side plays on all but a limited number of CD and DVD models.

Bearing in mind the above and this article I sense disaster... :rolleyes:

7. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
  8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    A list of manufacturers who have issued compatability warnings with DualDisc:

JVC

Lexicon

Marantz

Mark Levinson

Meridian

Onkyo Electronics

Philips

Pioneer Electronics

Sony Computer Entertainment America

Sony Electronics America

Sony Europe

Toshiba

A few majors there. The Alba midi system buyer it appears will be safe - anyone with decent kit however appears to be ****ed!

Crash 'n' burn methinks! :(

9. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    meridian seem to have changed there minds they are pushing the format now saying compatabilty should not be a problem on there machines ?

10. hifigramps

hifigramps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Almost all of the manufacturers have issued statements saying there should be no compatibility issues with DualDiscs.

The issue now is if the DVD side will contain true hi-rez 96kHz/24bit audio. As of yet, none of the Sony DualDisc releases contain true hi-rez. A lot of the new releases on DualDisc contain 48kHz/24bit or lower, which can be found on most any DVD-Video disc. Although, not in MLP.

11. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Just where do you get that information from?

These are comments from three manufacturers.

In addition, Lexicon's recently issued press release was virtually a reprint of the Mark Levinson one.

That's hardly a ringing endorsment, let alone a statement of "...no compatibility issues ...".

12. hifigramps

hifigramps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those are partial quotes. The full comments on hifidelity review though, not ringing endorsements, backed off from the original warnings issued by the manufacturers. There have been no documented cases of actual damage done to any players. There have been a few cases of some players not correctly reading the CD side of the disc.
    Also, a large number of Sony's new releases are DualDisc.

I'm not a fan of the DualDisc. But some of the titles I want in hi-rez are only being released on DualDisc. I have over 600 DVD-A and SA-CD discs. I also have 20+ DualDiscs, and have not had a problem with any of them. They have played flawlessly in all of my players.
    Lixicon RT-10
    Marantz DV-9500
    Meridian 800
    Modded Pioneer DV-45A and and DV-47A
    as well as both of my car CD players.

13. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,942
    Didn't know there was that many available!! :eek:

14. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,507
    I got AC/DC's "Back In Black" dual disc last week via Ebay. It works fine on my dvd player (both sides) and the CD side works in my car, which is 2 and half years old.

Mind you - I wasn't blown away by the PCM sound quality as I thought I would be and according to the reviews people gave it. Ah well, at least its a step up from the non-remastered CD I had.

15. hifigramps

hifigramps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Donnacha,

I think you will find that is the norm when comparing a quality recorded DVD-A side with the CD side of a DualDisc. The DualDisc was created to compete with Hybrid SA-CD's, which offer a CD layer. IMHO, the DualDisc was a poor choice of formats.

I don't buy DVD-A's or SA-CD's for a lackluster 44.1kHz/16bit recording (when compared to a 96kHz/192kHz/24bit recording). I still buy well recorded and engineered CD's. My Meitner gear (SA-CD/CD) only, has a magical ability to squeeze the best sound out of Red Book CD's.

16. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,507
    Hifigramps - I only have one DVD-A (Queen A Night At The Opera) and as you said the difference between this and the Dualdisc is night and day. But the AC/DC album is not DVD-A, just stereo PCM. At least the CD side is the remastered version of the album which is better than my old CD version!