Dual-WAN recommendation please.

gava

So my Virgin connection has been down for nearly 2 weeks.

As internet is v.important for working from home, entertainment, etc. I have decided to get a BT connection too. And I also have a 5G phone with enough data to last 10 days or so.

BT is only fibre to the cabinet, Virgin is fibre into my house, at the moment however it's that last but of fibre that is broken. Hopefully BT and Virgin are using different cabinets, which would give me some extra resilience.

My question is:
Can anyone recommend a nice powerful WiFi router which will allow me to plug in LAN connections from both my Virgin router and my BT router?

I would like all my devices PCs and AV equipment to sit on the same network so they can all see each other for streaming and app control of AV, etc.

So key is that if one connection goes down I don't have to reconfigure all my devices.

Ideally I would be able to aggregate the links. Simple failover would be okay, if that is all that is available.

I would prefer wired failover, but if there is a device which would failover to the BT over WiFi that would be okay I suppose, as long as the gadgets on the inside of the network don't have to worry about that. This would also allow me to use my phone as a hotspot so being able to use WiFi to link to the secondary connection is a desirable feature.

Worst case failover would simply be able unplug the Virgin (running in modem mode) and plug in a cable from the BT box but I need someone who can verify that both would work.

Budget? Well I realise it is not going to be very cheap, but if there is a best-value solution that would be great.

A single-box solution would be best but..

I currently have a fairly nice Asus ROG router, so a box that sat in front of that and managed the 2 or 3 internet connections would also be acceptable.

With so much of the world working from home (a situation likely to persist for some time) I am hopeful that there might be a solution to my problem.

oneman

So my Virgin connection has been down for nearly 2 weeks.

As internet is v.important for working from home, entertainment, etc. I have decided to get a BT connection too. And I also have a 5G phone with enough data to last 10 days or so.

BT is only fibre to the cabinet, Virgin is fibre into my house, at the moment however it's that last but of fibre that is broken. Hopefully BT and Virgin are using different cabinets, which would give me some extra resilience.

My question is:
Can anyone recommend a nice powerful WiFi router which will allow me to plug in LAN connections from both my Virgin router and my BT router?

I would like all my devices PCs and AV equipment to sit on the same network so they can all see each other for streaming and app control of AV, etc.

So key is that if one connection goes down I don't have to reconfigure all my devices.

Ideally I would be able to aggregate the links. Simple failover would be okay, if that is all that is available.

I would prefer wired failover, but if there is a device which would failover to the BT over WiFi that would be okay I suppose, as long as the gadgets on the inside of the network don't have to worry about that. This would also allow me to use my phone as a hotspot so being able to use WiFi to link to the secondary connection is a desirable feature.

Worst case failover would simply be able unplug the Virgin (running in modem mode) and plug in a cable from the BT box but I need someone who can verify that both would work.

Budget? Well I realise it is not going to be very cheap, but if there is a best-value solution that would be great.

A single-box solution would be best but..

I currently have a fairly nice Asus ROG router, so a box that sat in front of that and managed the 2 or 3 internet connections would also be acceptable.

With so much of the world working from home (a situation likely to persist for some time) I am hopeful that there might be a solution to my problem.
I haven't checked but I would have thought the ROG like my AX88U supports two WAN connections, one in one the WAN port and the other in LAN port 4. It also supports USB WAN connection like a mobile phone but I don't think you can do all three at the same time.

oneman

BTW, with regard to failover you probably want to wait 30 or 60 seconds before failing over in case its just a glitch rather than a real failure.
I haven't checked but I would have thought the ROG like my AX88U supports two WAN connections, one in one the WAN port and the other in LAN port 4. It also supports USB WAN connection like a mobile phone but I don't think you can do all three at the same time.

Sorry, wrong link.

You can plug the BT router into any of LAN port 1 to 4. Or for secondary WAN you can use one of the USB ports and have a mobile phone or other SIM based device for example.

Anyway, you get the following options as to how you setup failover, you can either have it load balanced where its sending data to both connections or fail over when all traffic goes to WAN port and then to backup port if WAN port can't do a DNS query or ping to a public address.

1623254435438.png

gava

gava

BTW, with regard to failover you probably want to wait 30 or 60 seconds before failing over in case its just a glitch rather than a real failure.

Sorry, wrong link.

You can plug the BT router into any of LAN port 1 to 4. Or for secondary WAN you can use one of the USB ports and have a mobile phone or other SIM based device for example.

Anyway, you get the following options as to how you setup failover, you can either have it load balanced where its sending data to both connections or fail over when all traffic goes to WAN port and then to backup port if WAN port can't do a DNS query or ping to a public address.

View attachment 1525344
regard to failover you probably want to wait 30 or 60 seconds before failing over in case its just a glitch rather than a real failure.
Yes - for my purposes even 5 mins would be fine as a proper failover. :)

I would prefer to be active-active using both connections so that looks good as the preferred option.

I will have a look at the newer Asus routers. I guess if I buy from Amazon I can always return if it doesn't work the way I'm looking for.

Thx.

gava

Well it has no WiFi capabilities at all, neither as an AP nor to use another WiFi link as failover.

The blurb makes no mention of whether it is capable of running active-active across both internet links, therefore it probably cannot.

It certainly doesn't look like it can tether to my 5G phone over USB, but it's hard to tell.

It looks like a big standard active-passive failover router with poorly written documentation.

It's not clear how it will cope with double-NATing over the BT router either.

So yeah, it might work at a pinch, but is missing most of the features I outlined in my original post.

jimscreechy

I see,

I would politely suggest you re-read the 'blurb' as it pretty much does everything you want and then some... aside from phone tethering which I'm not entirely sure is possible with any device you seek.

I have used Draytek kit (though not this one in particular) and I can assure you they "do what they say on the tin" normally without much fuss, and little compromise.

Additionally there would be no issue of double NAT-ing using this with a BT modem.

oneman

Yes - for my purposes even 5 mins would be fine as a proper failover. :)

I would prefer to be active-active using both connections so that looks good as the preferred option.

I will have a look at the newer Asus routers. I guess if I buy from Amazon I can always return if it doesn't work the way I'm looking for.

Thx.
Which model do you have, the AX-11000 supports this. Have a look at your router, its been supported for some time.

gava

Thanks it's an older one and not supported, but I have put in an order on Amazon for the 11000.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Virgin unless it’s a new neighbourhood install is only fibre to the cabinet and is coax to the house. You can have all sorts of electrical issues with this. Have they given you an ETA for the fix?

Ideally you want an Openreach modem instead of the BT router. That combined with the Virgin in modem only mode means only the Asus router should be configured for dhcp etc.

Also you need to be careful with active active as depending on how you balance the connections you could end up with some stuff not working

gava

Virgin unless it’s a new neighbourhood install is only fibre to the cabinet and is coax to the house. You can have all sorts of electrical issues with this. Have they given you an ETA for the fix?

Ideally you want an Openreach modem instead of the BT router. That combined with the Virgin in modem only mode means only the Asus router should be configured for dhcp etc.

Also you need to be careful with active active as depending on how you balance the connections you could end up with some stuff not working
Ah - yes I think you are correct it does look like coax.

No idea how long it will take to fix, I fear it will be many weeks. Possibly require a construction crew, council permit, etc.

It seems to be stuck in a loop somewhere, with a new visit scheduled every day for more than a week for a cable re-pull but they never come, or come and don't update the ticket, complaints ignored, requests for escalation of manager callbacks, etc all ignored.

I'm trying to go back to the start today with as standard engineer visit. Maybe this time round it won't get stuck.

I'm not sure I can get the Openreach modem but I will ask.

Yes, actually the Virgin is pretty fast and reasonably priced, just not terribly reliable.

So simply having BT as a failover will likely be good enough.

Thx for the advice.

maf1970

I think the Draytek model suggested is the wrong one for you. Here is the link for their router comparison -

Draytek Comparison

Also on this page are links to Load Balancing and Backup/Failover.
I would say have a look at the 2862 series of router by them.

mushii

Distinguished Member
another WiFi link as failover.
I have no idea what that even means. Wifi is not failover, your second Wan port would be. If you read the link that I sent it offers the option With or Without Wifi.

The Draytek is actually a SOHO Grade modem / router with fully fledged routing capability, the ASUS at very best is a pimped domestic wifi / router with less control over load balancing, failover and much other functionality. I see plenty commercial installs with Draytek routers, seldom see anything with Asus. Maybe IT guys like badly written documentation....

oneman

I have no idea what that even means. Wifi is not failover, your second Wan port would be. If you read the link that I sent it offers the option With or Without Wifi.

The Draytek is actually a SOHO Grade modem / router with fully fledged routing capability, the ASUS at very best is a pimped domestic wifi / router with less control over load balancing, failover and much other functionality. I see plenty commercial installs with Draytek routers, seldom see anything with Asus. Maybe IT guys like badly written documentation....
Not sure what you are talking about but carry on.

OP has ordered a newer version of their existing router, hopefully they will give us an update when it's installed.

jimscreechy

I have a feeling he means 4G/5G for failover rather than WiFi. There is a bit of reading between the lines needed for this one since the OP essentially knows what he wants but is a little unclear on some things.

oneman

I have a feeling he means 4G/5G for failover rather than WiFi. There is a bit of reading between the lines needed for this one since the OP essentially knows what he wants but is a little unclear on some things.
That was my take as well.

maf1970

This thread is hypothetical until Virgin get their act together and repair the connection.
Simple answer for just now -

Get BT Broadband connection put in.
Get Openreach Modem from them for it if possible. If not buy one second hand or get a draytek Modem(130 or 166).
Connect it all up and use in the meantime.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
I run an Asus AX88U in dual WAN mode. Fail over works very well, almost seamless most of the time when I tried it. But I did not get it for fail over, or really even proper load balancing as such, I got it because prefer to choose which WAN devices use.

We are rural, and DSL is slow - around 14mbps down, and barley 1mbps up, but great ping/latency. However 4G is good, and I get 60mbps down and 10 up. Pings are good until a few things are using the connection. So basically one connection is good for gaming/video calls etc, and one it good for video streaming.

I wanted one unified network, with gaming PC’s and consoles using the DSL, and TV’s using the 4G for streaming 4K. The Asus let’s me set rules for which WAN each device uses.

Anyway, I recommend the Asus. I paired it with a Draytek Vigor 130 Modem. I almost went for a Draytek Dual WAN Router but chose the Asus after a lot of deliberation, although it was close. Glad I did, it’s amazing. The only issue I have is with the 4G - I have a Hauwei 4G router that can’t be put in bridge mode. The double NAT isn’t so much of an issue, but occasionally I have issues with webpages loading first time. Maybe that’s due to the double NAT, I’m not sure as at was an issue when I used the Hauwei. So I’m looking for new 4G modem (in fact might even start a thread…).

oneman

My AX88U saved me a load of hassle yesterday. VM went down for a few hours yesterday. Plugged in an old android phone with 4G SIM on one of the USB ports and the whole house was able to carry on seamlessly though it was obviously slower.

Last edited:

jaspermycat

I have such a setup done using a desktop running pfsense firewall with primary WAN as VM and secondary WAN as Android phone (in USB Tethering mode)

I know this is a bit extreme with having a dedicated firewall.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung QD-OLED TVs primed for 2022 launch?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky to add NBCUniversal's Peacock service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen announces Beoplay EQ TWS earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th July 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky drops Sky One brand and introduces Showcase and Max