Dual use Ceiling Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by NickParks, Sep 10, 2012.

1. NickParks

NickParks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I'm shortly going to begin the modernisation of the lounge in the house we bought 6 months ago. I've bought some Polk RC60i's which I'm planning to use with one of my Sonus ZP120's. The speakers will sit in the ceiling directly above the sofa at one end of the room. This led me to thinking, could they be used as the rear/surround speakers on my 5.1 system?(not ideal positioning I know), but it would avoid the need for two more boxes! If I did go down this route is there a way of automatically switching between the inputs for the speakers as and when needed?
    As those familiar with the Sonos systems will know the unit is permanently switched on.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Nick

2. Aberdeen Al

Aberdeen Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My 5.1 system in the family room has a Sonos ZP90 connected to it allowing all the speakers inc. subwoofer to be used with the Sonos and cinema system - all connected through my Pioneer AV receiver.

3. NickParks

NickParks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks Al, that might be a plan actually and one I hadn't considered - I can pinch a ZP90 out of one of the Children's rooms!

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,471
    Keep in mind the Zone Player has a Processing delay (60ms) on the Line Input - you would have to allow for this on the Surround L/R Analogue Outputs of the AVR!

Joe

5. NickParks

NickParks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks Joe,
    My thoughts were for the speakers to be run directly from the AV Amp when used as part of the 5.1 setup, and then from the ZP120 for music, so hopefully that wouldn't be an issue.
    It's just switching between the two that would be the issue.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,471
    An Amplifier Switch would be required and your going to lose any notion of 'full range' sound with just the 'Surrounds'!

As Aberdeen Al suggests a Connect (ZP90) into the AVR is a better option - though personally I'd stick the AVR into 2.1 not 5.1 for Music!

If you don't want to use the AVR for Music I'd be tempted to put the 5.1 Surrounds in the Optimum placement and add a Play:5 for Music playback!

Joe