Dual use Bag

iandrews

I'm off on holiday in 2 weeks time (Peru). Looking to take my Canon S5 and my Canon 400d with kit lens and Sigma 10-22 (and maybe my netbook). I currently have a Lowepro Slingshot 100 and though its fine, it doesn't have room for anything else (water, food, coat). I have a normal rucksack that I can put the camera other things in, but offers no protection to the cameras. So I'm thinking of getting a dual use backpack. I have seen the following:

Kata 467
Tamrac 3385 (Aero 85)
Lowepro Fastpack 250

Was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I'm probably want more top half space then camera gear space. The Kata seems to get good reviews, but people have complained about the hole in the top (for headphones) and that stuff (food, liquid) can get from the top part to the bottom because its a removable divider.

Ian.

alan29

I have a battered Jack Wolfskin shoulder bag that I always travel with. To avoid that awful (look at my expensive gear and then mug me) American/Japanese tourist look, I put my photo equipment in that bag, each item lovingly put inside a sock. Wet stuff (water bottles etc) is separately wrapped in plastic carriers.
Well, it works for me.

Taelinn

I have been using my Fastpack 250 now for about 6 months and I am very happy with it, it has recently survived a 2 week safari down the South West coast of Africa and happily held everything from my Nikon D60 and lenses to my netbook, gorillapod and various snacks, bottled drinks. Everything came through unscathed (well except the snacks!)

Overall I am very happy with it and would definately reccomend it.

OrbitalPete

Very big fan of the Lowepro Primus. Used it for fieldwork, and there's enough for and all-day kit (coat, lunch, first aid kit, odd bits and bobs like flash, filters etc, plus a 1 or 2L waterbottle on the side), it's got good shoulder and waist straps for prolongued wear, plus a side access panel to access the camera section without taking the bag completely off.

The camera section easily holds my 450D, Sigma 70-300, tamron 17-50 and 50mm 1.8.

EDIT - you can also remove the various camera dividers to switch it to a normal rucksack.

Last edited:

allymac123

I used to use a Tamrac Adventure 9. Might be worth a look

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom