1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual tuner DVB-T card??? Newb question.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by hamant, Apr 30, 2005.

1. hamant

hamant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm just getting around to finishing my HTPC and need to get a tv card. I've been looking around for a DVB-T card with dual tuner, but can only seem to find this one. I would normally go for 2 cards, but i've got a shuttle system and only have 1 pci slot spare. I found this on google;

http://www.mediaatlantic.com/product.php/48960/1529/

Can anyone comment on this?

I want something that will have the same features as the nebula card. IE. Dump the MPEG stream directly to the HD without any processing.

Also, with a single tuner DVB-T card, what are the limitations? Can i record 1 channel and watch another? Or can i only either record or watch 1 channel at a time?

Please help. :thumbsup:

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Interesting, not heard of that before, it says that it is MCE compatible but I didn't think MCE could cope with a mixture of tv cards, I thought you either had to have twin dvb-t cards or twin analogue cards otherwise the EPG and functionality will get confused.

Hopefully someone else will know more...

If you are looking for dual DVB-T tuners I have this USB2 box working within MCE, which you could use in addition to a PCI card to get the twin tuner functionality.

Oh, and yes to watch one channel whilst recording another you do need two tuners.

lisa

3. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    A dual-tuner DVB card is under development at the moment. Is from the company that produces the "Black Gold" DVB card, if I recall. It is being specifically developed to answer a demand from Media Center PCs.

5. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    indeed - I enquired about this a while back and was told to keep an eye out in 'April'. It can't be that far off now

6. hamant

hamant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sent an email to the people behind the Black Gold card asking about their dual tuner card and this is the reply i got;

Dear Sir

The Black Gold dual tuner product is scheduled for relaese in approx. 8-10 weeks. Unfortunately it will not support Top-up TV.

Regards,

Product Support

Not sure if i can hold out.

7. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'm in exactly the same boat, only want to use 1 PCI slot but have dual digital tuner functionality. I emailed Black Gold and got the same response of April so it really can't be that far off. I think it's probably worth holding out for. I want to use my only other spare slot for a Mystique card: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/HiTeC.html

I want to make sure I'm not waiting for the wrong thing though. I'm currently not using my MCE2005 PC for TV, pending a tuner card. At the moment I just have a freeview settop box, no cable or sky or anything like that. Does that mean I need an analogue card rather than digital?

I took analogue to mean plug the aerial in and you get the standard 5 channels and I understood DVB-T to mean, plug your aerial in and get Freeview digital channels. Is that not correct?

8. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You are 100% correct.

9. Fulltopuk

Fulltopuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I am no expert but will a Hauppage PVR 500 MCE do the job?

10. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    It would do for analogue terrestial tv, or if you could feed it from two independent set-top boxes (e.g. either two freeview boxes, or two sky boxes)
    lisa