Dual SVS sb2000 or Dual Mono 12" or Single sb3000 or Single REL HT1508?

Sbu13/sb4000 is a great sub but for bigger room and room shaking bass , ability to play loud without straining I'd get something else. Pb2000 pro etc

For music, smaller room the sb4000 will be fine.
Pb2000 pro? But that’s only 550 rms?

Pb2000 pro? But that’s only 550 rms?

Ported means it's more efficient for a given watt. Ie pb 2000 pro has 7db extra output at 20hz over the sb4000. Even though the sb4000 has a bigger driver, higher quality driver, double/triple the power. Although the SB has sv advantage at higher frequencies. I've found though if the sub struggles in lower frequency that impact sq badly, so you know closer to it's limits.

Not saying the SB is rubbish, mine still copes very well, for volume, and I think with duals it'll be ok, but on very bassy scenes one started to run out of headroom in the lowest frequencies. if buying now, in a big room like mine - for movies, then I'd get pb2000 pro.

Ported means it's more efficient for a given watt. Ie pb 2000 pro has 7db extra output at 20hz over the sb4000. Even though the sb4000 has a bigger driver, higher quality driver, double/triple the power. Although the SB has sv advantage at higher frequencies. I've found though if the sub struggles in lower frequency that impact sq badly, so you know closer to it's limits.

Not saying the SB is rubbish, mine still copes very well, for volume, and I think with duals it'll be ok, but on very bassy scenes one started to run out of headroom in the lowest frequencies. if buying now, in a big room like mine - for movies, then I'd get pb2000 pro.
Ok I’ve never used a ported sub before so yeah it’s a good idea to get that one. Thanks I’ll look around for a good deal.

Just found the mono 15 on eBay for £780 so bought one. I know it’s huge but at least it will provide no compromise bass 😁

nevermind that's 12"

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found the mono 15 on eBay for £780 so bought one. I know it’s huge but at least it will provide no compromise bass 😁

Well you went all in then. It really is huge and probably limits you just a single sub. Well you are going to get that room shooking bass. Coming from XXLS400 i would want to see the grin on your face when it´s dialed in, such a dramatic difference. I can´t remember did you have the Pioneer receiver still or did you bought some Denon/Marantz? Cause the Pioneer is unlikely to do any sub eq with the MCACC auto setup. If you have smaller room then it´s kinda must have with a large ported sub or may end up with bloated mess.

This picture gives good idea what you dealing with. @David Alexander just bought two of these! 😅

6568819EBBA8D7DFD6635740FF9D4199.app1_1648514088846_PZ320.jpeg

tbh with that ebay sale, I'd go and pick it up. Seems a bit fishy, got 5 of them, and only 5 rating....

Well you went all in then. It really is huge and probably limits you just a single sub. Well you are going to get that room shooking bass. Coming from XXLS400 i would want to see the grin on your face when it´s dialed in, such a dramatic difference. I can´t remember did you have the Pioneer receiver still or did you bought some Denon/Marantz? Cause the Pioneer is unlikely to do any sub eq with the MCACC auto setup. If you have smaller room then it´s kinda must have with a large ported sub or may end up with bloated mess.

This picture gives good idea what you dealing with. @David Alexander just bought two of these! 😅

Haha these things r huge but any ported sub would be big regardless but these r a bit too much but I can lay it on its side. Wife doesn’t know what’s arriving she still thinks it’s the small cute sb3000 🤣

Pioneer LX701 has subwoofer eq so I think it should be ok if not then I’ll go for maranta or denon.

Pioneer LX701 has subwoofer eq so I think it should be ok if not then I’ll go for maranta or denon.

If i´m not mistaken it´s via parametric eq (4bands) so similar to Yamahas YPAO needing measurement gear to know what to change so the automatic setup probably not doing much. But of course you listen first and if it sounds boomy uncontrolled then you could consider example Antimode 8033 Cinema (230£) if looking low cost plug&play device rather than spending big bucks on new receiver as the Pioneer probably sounds awesome otherwise. If there is no sub eq then corner is not likely the ideal placement especially for large ported sub in smaller room and if you lay it on floor then perhaps try front or rear middle wall location. Oh man the wife is not going to be too happy having washing machine in living room! :laugh:

If i´m not mistaken it´s via parametric eq (4bands) so similar to Yamahas YPAO needing measurement gear to know what to change so the automatic setup probably not doing much. But of course you listen first and if it sounds boomy uncontrolled then you could consider example Antimode 8033 Cinema (230£) if looking low cost plug&play device rather than spending big bucks on new receiver as the Pioneer probably sounds awesome otherwise. If there is no sub eq then corner is not likely the ideal placement especially for large ported sub in smaller room and if you lay it on floor then perhaps try front or rear middle wall location. Oh man the wife is not going to be too happy having washing machine in living room! :laugh:
Yeah it is 4 band eq lol...boominess could be cured with eq or is it the amp issue in general?

Yeah it is 4 band eq lol...boominess could be cured with eq or is it the amp issue in general?

Antimode did a pretty good job, I tested before/after on a couple of different systems. Well worth the £100 if you get one second hand.

Took out couple of massive +10dB peaks and made it pretty much flat, apart from the room issues big dip at 55-65hz.

As i said you can buy this box and run it let it do it´s thing. But don´t buy anything yet before listening and running the MCACC Pro first when the new sub arrives. If you not happy then consider this little box.

Also the better S-II model, but questionable does it add anything usefull.

As i said you can buy this box and run it let it do it´s thing. But don´t buy anything yet before listening and running the MCACC Pro first when the new sub arrives. If you not happy then consider this little box.

Also the better S-II model, but questionable does it add anything usefull.

No point going for S2, that's really only useful in stereo system, it has a few options like dipole sub mode, also stereo in and out.

8033c is fine for a single sub home cinema (I'm using it to EQ both subs, as they're both equa-distant)

This is what antimode did with the two 13" before and after

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 20
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 22
No point going for S2, that's really only useful in stereo system, it has a few options like dipole sub mode, also stereo in and out.

8033c is fine for a single sub home cinema (I'm using it to EQ both subs, as they're both equa-distant)

This is what antimode did with the two 13" before and after
Ok thanks I'll check these but in this case svs would be better don't u think so?

Ok thanks I'll check these but in this case svs would be better don't u think so?

SVS PEQ is quite useful as even with a antimode you may still want to do a couple of adjustments, I've used the PEQ in the SVS one in brothers PC2000 Pro (he has antimode also)

Upstairs in hifi SVS SBU13 used a couple of filters there too, no antimode. And in cinema antimode then couple of PEQ in the tonewinner, applied a little bit of boost in 55hz region.

But if you have a good AVR/AV pre with good sub EQ and/or antimode, and a good room then maybe you don't need SVS PEQ.

Haha these things r huge but any ported sub would be big regardless but these r a bit too much but I can lay it on its side. Wife doesn’t know what’s arriving she still thinks it’s the small cute sb3000 🤣

depending on where ur based,

if u go dual, buy a UMIK + a miniDSP. will run you about £350 but its a necessary purchase.

Last edited:
depending on where ur based, i could sell u 2 of my 15s for a discounted price.

if u go dual, buy a UMIK + a miniDSP. will run you about £350 but its a necessary purchase.
Yeah I am interested in your dual 15s, where r u based? I am from Bangor, Gwynedd.

Got a reply from the seller said no warranty so I cancelled the order. Bought a pb3000 from the marketplace have to collect 😁

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom