Dual SVS 1000 Pro's vs single 2000 Pro

sydvest

Novice Member
Reaction score
It's easy as that.

Currently running a 3.0 LCR setup in my living room. Next upgrade is a subgrade. As the title stated: dual 1000 Pro vs single 2000 Pro (or Micro 3000). My budget allows me to either get a dual 1000 Pro setup, or a single 2000 Pro/Micro 3000 setup.

Image below is my place. Dual SB-1000 Pros could be placed in any of the combinations of yellow boxes. PB-1000s can only be in spot 1 & 2. A PB-2000 could also only be placed in spot 1 or 2.

So! Dual SB-1000, Dual PB-1000, Single SB-2000, Single PB-2000, or single Micro 3000?

I'm thinking about ordering one of each (SB- and PB-1000 Pro) to try, before returning one of them. But are there any drawbacks in going with dual sealed sub vs single ported? I have upstairs neighbours so I'm gonna get a DSP to tone down the lower frequencies

B99F9FL.png

You have a bit of an issue because of the size of your room, not just the listening / viewing space.

So whilst a Dual setup would usually be the only answer, every single time. In this case, the argument for more physical power is a strong one. It would fill the space better (in Sub world Dual Subs doesn't equate to twice the power)

Have you read the article about going Dual on SVS's website, or you could even reach out to them and their support team for advice.

A single bigger sub PB2000 would probably work better in top left hand corner of the pic in the corner to get some room gain. Like AA has said it's a big room to fill even though it's an apartment and you don't want to upset the neighbours.

You could try position 1/2 or 3 if the corner does not work.

I would go with a Single PB-2000 in position 3.

Hi, the link here is a useful guideline regarding room size:

I would go with a Single PB-2000 in position 3.
A ported subwoofer will be taller than the couch on this side. So I might have problems accepting this layout.
A single bigger sub PB2000 would probably work better in top left hand corner of the pic in the corner to get some room gain. Like AA has said it's a big room to fill even though it's an apartment and you don't want to upset the neighbours.

You could try position 1/2 or 3 if the corner does not work.
You mean top left corner above the door? That place is furnished atm. There are also windows from the floor up to the ceiling. Bad for soundwaves, no?

You have a bit of an issue because of the size of your room, not just the listening / viewing space.
Maybe I should reveal that there is also approx 700 ft3 connected to our living room. Combined making the whole place 4250 ft3 combined. You can see the wall is open between the TV and kitchen in the picture in original post. This would probably not make is easier to pressurize the whole room.

What I got out of the room size guide posted by Dobby, is that I need something that fits between these two rows in the graphs marked red (see spoiler). Making me realize that a sealed woofer from SVS is pointless at this price level.

From this graph it looks like I should review SVS' ported options. Ideally a PB-3000. Probably a 1000 Pro, maybe a 2000 Pro :p

subwoofer size chart.png

Dual subs all the way. Especially if you’re planning to DSP them. Get a miniDSP and with two subs you’ll be able to eventually get yourself a nice sweet bass. With one sub in that room (no matter how powerful the sub is) you’ll forever be chasing a smooth and uniform output.

Moreover, you’ve got neighbours to consider so chasing a <20hz output doesn’t make sense either.

And the SVS 1000 Pro is a very capable sub. And two of them - no need for a comment.

Go dual. You’ll never be disappointed

you’ve got neighbours to consider so chasing a <20hz output doesn’t make sense either.

Interesting. I wonder what the real life worst frequencies are for neighbours. From experience, LF say less than 30Hz neighbours I have had don't even notice it. They don't even think it is anything to do with a speaker and more a drone of vehicles from a nearby fast road for example.

Go for a PB2000 Pro for that room. Run with it then add a second when money allows :D

It's easy as that.

Currently running a 3.0 LCR setup in my living room. Next upgrade is a subgrade. As the title stated: dual 1000 Pro vs single 2000 Pro (or Micro 3000). My budget allows me to either get a dual 1000 Pro setup, or a single 2000 Pro/Micro 3000 setup.

Image below is my place. Dual SB-1000 Pros could be placed in any of the combinations of yellow boxes. PB-1000s can only be in spot 1 & 2. A PB-2000 could also only be placed in spot 1 or 2.

So! Dual SB-1000, Dual PB-1000, Single SB-2000, Single PB-2000, or single Micro 3000?

I'm thinking about ordering one of each (SB- and PB-1000 Pro) to try, before returning one of them. But are there any drawbacks in going with dual sealed sub vs single ported? I have upstairs neighbours so I'm gonna get a DSP to tone down the lower frequencies

B99F9FL.png

2x PB1000 Pro behind the couch drivers and ports close by would give you the most impact, they are going to hit you hard that the couch will be vibrating and some war movies you are literally going to feel the bombs in your back, i have run it like this in apartment with lesser sub than PB1000 Pro to not bother neigbours. If you move your head one sub can still locate so two are likely going to be much better. But i don`t know are you going to like the brutal impact the nearfield placement gives let´s say after few months.. All the bass energy from the drivers and ports are moved to that couch and your back so it will be felt big time - less interaction with room and don´t have to run them so hot to bother neighbours which are good things!

So 2x PB1000 Pro behind the couch (1. & 2.) or one PB2000 Pro at the 3. position, although i wonder can you even listen so loud that it would make different to move from one PB1000 Pro to PB2000 Pro in that 3. position. If we look the measurements the FR is same and the 2000 is better when listened at very loud levels which i`m not sure is possible if you have neighbours and questionable sound proofing. Bass frequencies will be transfered quite easily there.

Is it only about loud levels though? Wouldn’t a pb2000 pro sound better than a pb1000 pro? E.g. clearer, cleaner, more defined bass from the beefier magnets and internals.

Is it only about loud levels though? Wouldn’t a pb2000 pro sound better than a pb1000 pro? E.g. clearer, cleaner, more defined bass from the beefier magnets and internals.

I doubt there is much between them if you listen at moderate levels. FR is identical and both have the new beefier amps (w/ mosfets) and new high sensitivity drivers which gives them more performance in the "slam region" where the non Pro PB 1000/2000 lacked some before. There was one comparison at youtube where some guy listened both Pro models and he noticed the PB2000 Pro sounded better when pushed hard which isn´t suprising if we look the data. Audioholics measurements shows max output at 40hz and below the bigger brother having edge and also the long term output (compression) test shows clear difference at high playing level plus the distortion creeps up. *

PB1000 Pro costs ~764£ with AVF member discount. PB2000 Pro costs ~1052£. If you going to add another sub later then it could push toward the little brother unless you have dedicated room or just spare money in these tough times as everything is getting so expensive. Still remember the days when you got the PB1000 Pro for 550£. 😢

These graphs neatly illustrate the difference - and advantage- of the heavier-duty driver in the PB-2000 Pro. For those who were thinking, “why get a 2000 Pro for mid-bass content when the 1000 Pros can get just as loud?” Well, here is your answer. The PB-2000 Pro can’t be pushed that far past 5% THD above 20Hz even at the absolute maximum drive level. The PB-1000 Pro, on the other hand, can be pushed past 20% THD in midbass frequencies. The PB-1000 Pro can get as loud as the PB-2000 Pro in mid-bass frequencies, but it isn’t as well behaved for the same loudness levels.

The current prices are a mick take when you look at how much they used to be. Which shop offers avf discounts? Even discounted they are still a heavily inflated price.

The current prices are a mick take when you look at how much they used to be. Which shop offers avf discounts? Even discounted they are still a heavily inflated price.

At least Cinehome UK and American Audio UK used to offer... Richer Sounds have also price matched when asked, but rather support smaller companies when possible.

You still have the BK Monolith FF & DF at ~530£ shipped to home in UK if looking more affordable big ported box.

but rather support smaller companies when possible.
Why? Personally I’d rather support local businesses. If you don’t they’re unlikely to be around in the long term. My local SVS dealer (a small Richer Sounds branch) also gave me the best price I could find so had no dilemma in buying from them at all.

Why? Personally I’d rather support local businesses. If you don’t they’re unlikely to be around in the long term. My local SVS dealer (a small Richer Sounds branch) also gave me the best price I could find so had no dilemma in buying from them at all.

I meant the forum advertisers if price is same. Many of them been up long and you get great service plus help at forum too via PM if needed. But in reality you not going to run into issues buying SVS from any shop in UK even if they go down. Karma AV is always there to help. Have seen some negative stuff with RS over the years, but each to their own.

If you could put one sub in the corner where your R front speaker is and another 1/3 along the back wall that could work in a dual setup. The thing is using duals isn't about 'more' power but covering the nuls and peaks i.e a flatter response.
Looking at it like that in quite a large room then a larger more powerful sub is probably a better solution for volume.
Corners or perhaps positions 1 and 3 (if 1/5 and 13 room length up against the wall are the positions to look at if going mono or dual subs.
As the room is almost square I would be tempted to go dual, download and play around with REW to see what happens in or near those positions.

At least Cinehome UK and American Audio UK used to offer... Richer Sounds have also price matched when asked, but rather support smaller companies when possible.

You still have the BK Monolith FF & DF at ~530£ shipped to home in UK if looking more affordable big ported box.
We still offer AVF Members discount on SVS subs. Please get in touch anytime via PM.

Best, Tom

I like to support local companies but there is a bottom line. AV.com is my local and I had intended to use them for refitting out my entire AV set up. Unfortunately, they were so immovable on pricing that all I ended up getting from them was a subwoofer while Peter Tyson’s and Richersounds supplied everything else.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom