Dual Stacked SB3000's

Looks great Kev, next thing you should do is work out how 4 would measure like that in your room with REW.

:thumbsup:

Looks great Kev, next thing you should do is work out how 4 would measure like that in your room with REW.

:thumbsup:

Yeah, it may be interesting. I just need another two :D

I'm gonna try these though while they're in position.

If you measure each sub in each position (so four measurements, with a timing reference) you can model it in REW with just what you have now.

If you measure each sub in each position (so four measurements, with a timing reference) you can model it in REW with just what you have now.

Very good point, I didn't think of that :rolleyes:

Very good point, I didn't think of that :rolleyes:

At a guess though, you'll get what you've got now with +6dB across the range.

You might be able to smooth out any dips with timing instead of EQ, but I think you're already pretty flat. If you wanted to you could use that 6dB to trim the EQ and get flat to a few Hz lower, but I'm not sure that's your goal.

At a guess though, you'll get what you've got now with +6dB across the range.

You might be able to smooth out any dips with timing instead of EQ, but I think you're already pretty flat. If you wanted to you could use that 6dB to trim the EQ and get flat to a few Hz lower, but I'm not sure that's your goal.

They are pretty much flat as they are, yeah. As well as seeing what it will do to a graph, I'm looking to see (hear) if it changes the listening experience. So 'could' they sound different even if the graph doesn't appear to change by much.

They are pretty much flat as they are, yeah. As well as seeing what it will do to a graph, I'm looking to see (hear) if it changes the listening experience. So 'could' they sound different even if the graph doesn't appear to change by much.

They should. Assuming you lower the sub levels to maintain your current listening level and you're not planning on turning everything else up, you'll lower distortion. This should mean that the subs should sound cleaner and be a bit more dynamic (I think).

My current theory is that lower distortion is what gives the clean/light/thin sound that some people love and some people complain about.

They should. Assuming you lower the sub levels to maintain your current listening level and you're not planning on turning everything else up, you'll lower distortion. This should mean that the subs should sound cleaner and be a bit more dynamic (I think).

My current theory is that lower distortion is what gives the clean/light/thin sound that some people love and some people complain about.

Oh yeah, I'll still run with the current listening levels and keep it balanced. The compression test I did a couple of weeks back showed that they didn't run out of steam. It just started to show but it was pretty loud at that point.

I guess as long as it compresses louder than you listen then it doesn’t really matter if it’s 5dB above or 50dB above.

Someone made an interesting point in another thread though that regular sweep compression tests are only so useful and that he was using real content and the RTA. I really like that idea and I was going to write a whole thing on it including content samples.

It was probably just at the point of my loudest listening level where it started to show and it was only just. It was from -7.0db and up.

I get the real content thing but at least the sweeps give us a good starting or reference point. The content samples would be great though for better real world measurements.

Last edited:
I’ve asked SVS about their thoughts on me adding two more with my circumstances.

Last edited:
Didn't you have sb3000 pair September you put up for sale?

What?..

Well, after some consultation I won’t be going the stacked option.

No significant improvement, or did they upsell you?

There would most certainly be improvement. I’ve just balanced the look, cost and performance vs alternatives.

Fair. I must admit, even though I love the look of floorstanders and multi driver speakers, stacked subs never looked right to me.

For comparison purposes, I will gladly accept a loan of either of the following :D

Two PB 3000’s
Two SB 4000’s
Two PB 4000’s

Or even all of them as I’ve got lots of storage space :thumbsup:

It‘s worth a try at least ;)

Are you only looking to loan/swap for SVS?
;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom