Question Dual SIM in UK in high end smartphone

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by tonywl, Jul 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. tonywl

tonywl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm after a bit of advice if anyone can help. I want a high-end/spec dual SIM smartphone that will work over here in UK..(work and personal lines as is common I'm sure!). I want it to work on dual standby mode, preferably take a micro 128Gb SDXC too and have all other standard smartphone functionality. Cost is not a major issue as I'll try to get my company to pay!

Can anyone help as it seems like a maze of issues reading research?!....largely it appears to do with which networks support which band frequencies as many are made for Asia and also i find it amazing that the major UK networks don't sell any of these dual SIM smartphones or poss 1. I heard there is a Samsung Note 4 model called Duos but not for sale over here that might work which would seem perfect....I want to probably use Three network for personal and maybe also for work and would be great to not have to the standard carry 2 phones option!

Thank u all in advance!

2. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
  3. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    If you are using Three, the thing to look out for in a Dual SIM phone is that it allows both SIMs to use 3G for calls (i.e. both SIMs are active on standby to make and recieve calls on a 3G network) as many don't. This is not to be confused with using both SIMs for 3G data which, AFAIK, no dual SIM phone allows (i.e. simulatenously using 3G data on both SIMs).

The Motorola G does this but for a more premium phone, take a look at the Alcatel OneTouch Idol X+.

4. martylaa

martylaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I thought the oneplus two was the answer to this but the lack of NFC and I am worried about the oneplus two customer service and updates...

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    I've been in the same boat, though I want a dual sim iPhone ideally.

I have a 2014 moto G dual sim, which for the money is really excellent. Only issue for me is that I damaged 1 of the sim slots with a crappy nano sim adapter.

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy J5 duos in Manchester. It's clearly an asian import as the phone launched in Arabic, but the gentleman in the shop assured me it was 3G and it seams ok so far.

The J5 is actually a stunningly good phone for the money... £169, has a truly excellent AMOLED screen and a brilliant battery life (much better than the flagships).
    It takes up to 128Gb micro SD card and is very slim, light and comfortable to hold.

Only downside.... No flippin' notification light!! Damn I was gutted when I discovered this, as its something I've always liked about Android.

It seams the best option is a Sony Xperia Z3 dual from Germany. Expensive and now 2 generations old, but I wish I'd bought one now.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015