Dual Shock 4 (PS4) Gamepad now supported on Steam

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
See here, News - Steam Client Update Released

• Added Steam Configurator support for PS4 Dual Shock Controller. Enable in Big Picture settings Add/Test Controller settings. When enabled, PS4 controllers will have access to the same sort of customization/configuration support as Steam Controllers, including native API support. PS4 Controllers using this system can map the trackpad, gyro, buttons, etc. to keyboard, mouse, or x-input outputs and can make use of action sets, touch menus, radial menus, and so forth.
  • Added software gyro+accelerometer integration for IMUs without hardware integration. Allows Joystick-Move/D-Pad/Mouse Leaning support for the PS4 gyro input.
I haven't got one to test unfortunately :(

sykotik

Distinguished Member
I tried this a few weeks ago , not all games are supported
i know doom was supposed to work but it didn't , and ROTTR didn't work neither
not sure if it's been updated lately , will have to test it out again .

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Just tried MW4 and tomb raider ( 1st one ) you can control "big picture" pick and chose a game look around and what not , but as soon as you start a game the DS4 stops working
iv got updates to do on Doom , darksiders WM and RSS so will try these when i get back in from work tonight ,

but as is ., still doesn't like you may think it does/should .

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
I understood it would work the same as the Steam Controller, I.e. From Big Picture you would assign xinput or keyboard a bindings, meaning it shouldn't matter whether the game supports it or not.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
So after doing all the updates for games , there was an update for steam it's self ,
after the update i was able to connect the ds4 , registered the ds4 as shown in the vid above ,
try doom ( which said - it's not designed for a controller ) but tried it anyways
out the box or so the speak , i had a problem straight away , the gyro was enabled and i couldn't use it , the doom guy would all ways pull to the right making the game unplayable
so turn off the gyro and used/set the right stick for camera angle as you would in the normal game ,
this worked for a bit then it would go haywire shooting camera angle up or down , this could be reset by pressing the PS button to go back to the "big picture UI " then pressing it again and going back into the game, this would last for a good 5 mins then the angle of the camera would starting going out of control again , this happen a good few times ,
so i give up and turn it off ,
yes i haven't give to much time and maybe you could get the ds4 to work with steam and games
but
if you want to use the DS4 on the PC i would recommend : inputmapper
works with any problems i have been using it for well over a year and half now , the only side is all the prompts you get with a game is in the xbox style A,B,X,Y
but you soon get used to it .

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom