Dual Shock 3 Controller Not Charging

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by demoni, Feb 3, 2009.

1. demoni

demoni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

I have had my PS3 for just over a month now and all has been well with it, however my Controller has/looks like its died.

I was using it whilst playing a game of Skate II and it the red indicator light was flashing on it and a display message kept popping up saying it was low on power, but I was in a competition pulling off 4000 point tricks and I was on a roll!

After playing the controller to death I left it on charge whilst the PS3 was on and I had a little break. Came back and it had not charged no red lights flashing like it usually does so I thought "must have drained it way too much" so I put my PS3 to auto sleep mode after 3 hours and went to bed.

Came down the next morning still no charge and now the Controller wont even turn on!

I did some looking arround and there was a few comments about resetting the controller with a little pin. Tried this, no joy!

Any suggestions? :lease:

2. kendoll

kendoll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    If you turn the PS3 off, plug the DS3 in to it via USB, and then press the PS button does it turn the PS3 on?

3. demoni

demoni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I will give that a try tonight, whilst writing I did forget to mention that I tried to charge it with an XDA Charger but that was already when it was totally dead! The charger supplies the 5volt line but ranges from 300mA to 1A so hope that has not blown it.

Bit naughty I know but I thought of going to buy a new one then pop the old one back in the box and get a refund :D

But will deffo try the USB cable in and try switching it on. Not all doom and gloom I do have a second controller which i am now relying on but my friends get bored!

4. Ed the Penguin

Ed the Penguin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Check the other causes...

Try plugging the USB cable into the PC instead of the PS3 to see if the controller will charge from there.

Try another USB cable.. even if it's one from a digital camera, it'll do the job as long as the connection's the same.

5. cas398

cas398

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    This happened to my DS3 just a few days after christmas when I got it.

It had charge in it but it wouldn't charge or turn on.

I ended up buying one from Asda and taking the faulty one back, cheeky, but easier and cheaper than phoning Sony or sending my whole PS3 back to Play.

6. demoni

demoni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi kendoll

I tried that and no joy no boot and no life on the controller :rolleyes:

Hi Ed

I also tried different usb cables but it didnt do anything I also tried the PC and it didnt see it and it didnt seem to have charged...

7. COOPERMAN

COOPERMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Have you tried the reset button on the bottom of the controller.
    Its worth a try?

8. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +757
    Just so you know, this won't work.. The PS3 controllers need some kind of 'intellegant' power supply.. They actual handshake with the USB interface.. So they will only charge via a USB device (i.e PS3, PC, etc).

As for doing damage, supplying it with 1A, don't worry.. This won't do it any harm.. 1A just means that the power supply CAN provide upto 1A.. Your device will draw what ever power it needs... In terms of damage, it would be the otherway around.. IF your device needed 1A and you use a 300mA supply, then you risk damaging the PSU, as your device would try to draw more than the PSU can handle...

But the way you did it is safe.. But ineffective!

Jon

9. demoni

demoni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It is worth a try but already tried it :( I may just do what cas398 did and buy a new one and replace it for the faulty one and return it

Coincedentally I phoned Sony Support but gave up after being on wait for 30+ mins!

10. Lude0ne

Lude0ne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you found a solution other than returning the controller?

I have a similar problem... Skate 2 seems to have destroyed BOTH of my dual shock controllers. Neither of them will charge. When plugged in they will flash once or twice and then nothing... They both stopped working on the same day, so it is more than likely they have been murdered, instead of dying of natural cause. All of my old ps3 controllers work still, and charge just fine.

I have tried using different usb cables. I tried on all 3 of my ps3s(yes, i have 3, ludicrous, i know) and even the PC, but to no avail.

11. Geeders

Geeders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    I had the same problem a while back with a six-axis controller. Somehow a little piece of plastic inside had moved and was constantly pressing the reset button.

The only way i found this out was by taking it apart, but i guess this would invalidate your warranty if this wasnt the cause.

12. kendoll

kendoll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Just making sure....did you try resetting it using the tiny button on the underside? The plugging it in via usb?

13. Lude0ne

Lude0ne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I've tried this... Also, it seems that the longer I let the controller sit, the more times it will flash before deciding not to charge. Today they flashed for a good 20 seconds each before stopping, but wont even hold enough charge to turn on... Its just strange that they both died on the same day, while playing Skate 2...

14. Hoof Hearted

Hoof Hearted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the solution to the problem is don’t recharge from the PS3 (or a Mac or a PC for that matter) when it is shut down. It not only doesn’t charge up the controller when it is off, the PS3 appears to also drain any stored power in the controller. Don’t knock it though as there may be a reason for this.

The solution I found when I discovered this was to use a USB Hub instead. You know, the ones used to add more USB ports to Macs and PCs. Not every USB hub is suitable however. You need one with its own power supply that doesn’t rely on power from the PS3 or Mac/PC to work.

USB Hubs with their own power supply will be available to charge your Dual Shock controller using the said USB cable 24/7. You can go to bed at night safe in the knowledge you controller will be active next morning and not drained.

As someone else here pointed out though, if the PS3 is switched off and you plug the DS3 into it using the USB cable and then press the PS button your PS3 should fire up. If it doesn’t then, if the same happens using a friends USB connector, I would suspect a faulty DS3.

15. Hoof Hearted

Hoof Hearted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try ignoring the controller's lights and just leaving the thing plugged into a USB hub* overnight. See what happens.

*one that has its own PSU.

16. demoni

demoni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I tried everything and in the end I returned it the guys at PS3 support sent me one out in no time after I had returned mine and I have never had the problem since. Maybe because im parranoid it will happen again I only the Controller get to the point where the lights flash to say its dying and I put it on charge or give it to the person I hate the most in a co-op game!! :D