dual rel q100e

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by gover_1, May 21, 2004.

1. gover_1

gover_1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi, i'm looking at buying to second hand rel q100e sub woofers, to go with my kef 104ab speakers as front's in an av system based on nad av preamp and quad 306 poweramps, how suitable, are the q100e's for this purpose and how well do they drive together, also im having to save up for this, it appears to me that these can be sourced for around 200 each second hand, i should be able to raise 400 in september, is it likely that these subs will still be regulary featuring on the second hand market at this time? or is there just a lot of them selling at the minute ? anyone know (ie is everyone upgrading at the min, has rel only just brought out its new model), also do you have any other sujestions of subs that could be sourced in this price range, 400 is my absolute budget, and would like 2 if possible as one may migrate to a second system later in my life (am only 16 and am trying to build a hi-fi to last) , thanks for your, help

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    You should certainly be able to find Q100E's at or around that price,maybe not together,but there are enough to be found here,and in places like Ebay and www.ex-dem.co.uk

It may be better for you to invest all of your funds into one better sub(again looking to used or ex-dem gear),to enable you to get a better sub in terms of bass depth and control....the Q100 is a bit bass light compared to models costing more...also remember that bass energy is pretty much omnidirectional in nature.

I can see your reasoning,but all things change in this sort of business,and by the time you can upgrade a bit,you may well wish you'd got one better sub in the first place.

Other makes to consider include M&K,B&W,SVS,etc,and there should be plenty of others here to give opinions on those.
    I have a Q200e which is ok for the room it's in,but really could do with a bit more depth and grunt.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The REL Q100 is an excellent sub that the company stopped making a few years ago when they moved onto the Q150 instead. I have heard a pair of Q100 operating together and they sounded very good indeed but do bear in mind that it isn't always easy to position one sub for optimum performance and whilst twin subs will sound better in theory, in practice that isn't always the case and the bass can disappear compeletely if the two subs are poorly positioned.

In any event, I agree with Alex that £400 could be better spent in buying one £400 sub than a pair at £200 each and see what's around in September when you are ready to buy rather than decide four months in advance.