Question Dual purpose sub connections

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by exponential, Mar 12, 2018.

1. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Hi guys.

I'm hoping somebody can help me with my current 2.1 ch set up.
    I have a Marantz SR6012 paired with Dali Opticon 6 L & R and a SVS SB1000 sub.
    My/our listening is 60/40 for movies and music respectively and I feel, with my current set up that music is lacking somewhat.

After doing a number of room EQ's via the audysey mic and pro app, audysey set my speakers to "full range" and my LPF to LFE to 120hz and, apart from some serious bass, all sounds great.
    With music though, it seems a bit lacking.
    I use the same OPPO but connected to the amp via twin RCA for just stereo sound and I just switch to the "CD" RCA output on the amp.

Now, due to the movie set up, I have the sub set to LFE bypass and connected via the sub out 1 to the LFE channel on the subwoofer but this is a discreet channel is it not?
    Can I utilise the high pass side of the sub for cd playing and streaming so I get the full benefit of the sub during music playback?

Is this possible and if so, how do I achieve the best results? Via the L & R line out or the actual speaker binding posts on the back of the sub?

I'm new to this so am struggling to make sense of it all.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

P.S I hope I have made myself clear? :blush:

2. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    It is generally recommended that speakers are set to "small" and the crossover frequency set to 80Hz as a starting point. The sub's own crossover should be set to "bypass" or "full range" (I don't know your sub or receiver so can't comment on specific settings).

When set like this, all bass below 80Hz will be sent to the sub. Usually, the Stereo setting on the receiver will allow bass output for music and the Direct or Pure modes (receiver specific, you need to check your manual) will disable bass management and pass full range to the stereo speakers, preventing the sub operating in stereo mode.

3. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Yeah, I've watched many a YouTube video where they are debating the "large" Vs "small" issue.
    Why would audysey set mine to large do you think?
    I mean, looking at the specs of my speakers, the lowest they can go is to 49hz but go as high as 32khz so if I set the crossover to 80hz, am I not losing out on some of the capabilities of my speakers?
    Also, movie makers are utilising bass in the left and right channels so if mine are set to small, again, am I not losing some of the sound that was originally intended to go to the speakers?
    I'm probably wrong on this and would happily be corrected.

Ok, so I use the direct function but again, if my speakers are set to small, am I not lessening the impact of my music?
    I've it to learn in this area, the manual for the amp is close too 300 pages long so I know hardly anything of its capabilities...:(

4. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    Most auto calibration routines will set the speakers to "large". However, the general consensus is to set the speakers to small as it maximises the performance of the receiver. It is not having to work so hard pushing power sapping bass frequencies to the speakers and letting the sub take on those duties as it was designed to do.

If you want the sub to work with music, you need to exit direct mode and use stereo mode, or engage the "double bass" feature (if your receiver has that) or similar mode, which provides simultaneous bass to speakers and subwoofer. That can be a bit overblown for some though.

The best way to find out what works best for you is to try different settings/modes and see what sounds good to your ears, you won't break anything by experimenting, only lose some time!

Check out page 216 of the manual regarding the extra bass function.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  5. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Ok, I'll give that a try. Should I still set the speaker crossover to 80hz even though my speakers can go to 49hz?

Yeah, Direct mode seems to be lacking somewhat. Doesn't seem to have the "punch" I'm looking for. I'll try "stereo" mode tonight after work.
    The only "double bass" mode I've noticed is LFE+MAIN but that's only for movies isn't it?

True....every day is a school-day..:smashin:

6. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    Start at 80 Hz (THX recommendation) and try different crossover settings - it makes little difference what the speaker's low frequency specification is as it's environment specific. The LFE+Main function will use the sub in all modes but that is for when you have your speakers set to large.

My own set up, (I have MA Gold Signature Floor standers) and using a Pioneer SC-LX701 sounds far better with all speakers set to small and a crossover of 100Hz.

7. exponential

exponential

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Ok pal. I'll do just that. 80hz to begin with....

Your speakers are awesome and go very very low! 32hz! :clap:. And you still set them to small....well if it works for you it's gotta work for me...;)
    Like the look of your pioneer too..:smashin:

I will give it good tinkering with but my wife keeps moaning as I keep messing with settings but it's all part of the fun! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your input mate..:lesson: