Dual projector and TV output

M

monopole

I'm drawing a blank on this so far.

I use an MCE PC at home with a monitor attached to the VGA port on my ATI graphics card (1280x1024) and a projector connected to the DVI port (1280x720). When using MCE on the projector, I just drag the app over to the prjector's desktop.

Now I'm thinking about building an MCE PC for my parents, but displaying the MCE app on the TV output AND the DVI output to a projector at the same time using clone mode (it's too complex for them to move windows between desktops) - they just need to be able to switch on the PC and then switch on whichever display device they want to use (projector for moveis, TV for regular TV).

So, is it possible to set up a clone mode so that the projector gets 1280x720@50Hz and the plain old panasonic widescreen TV connected to the TV output gets a scaled version of that? With ATI? With Nvidia?

Paul

I thought someone would have answered by now but as they haven't, you are welcome to my tuppence worth!

I think you will find that a clone output means just that. It must have the same resolution on both outputs.

As I've never managed anything other than 1024x768 on the s-video output, that looks like you will have a problem!

Dave

Damn.

The alternative is to use a 1280x720 LCD TV instead of a normal TV then... which seems to be 27" Toshiba models... and from what I've read, they have trouble being sent a computer signal at 1280x720 on anything other than HDMI (which I wanted to use for the projector).

Any twin DVI cards out there?

I came up with an excellent solution:

I installed ATI's hydravision software and loaded the Desktop Manager.

Then I set up some hotkeys:

CTRL + F1 SnapApp to Monitor 1
CTRL + F2 SnapApp to Monitor 2

Next, I installed girder (http://www.promixis.com), along with the MCE plugin (available from there also).

I then added a new event so that the Red button on my MCE remote sends CTRL + F1 and the Blue button sends CTRL + F2.

Now I just press the Start button on the remote to launch MCE and can move it between desktops using the Red and Blue keys on the remote.

Cool! Exactly what I was after.

Fortunately, I don't used the coloured buttons on my remote - I'm Freeview only and wouldn't use the digital teletext even if it was supported.

It would be cool if a single keypress could just toggle the app between monitors, then I could use the TV key on the remote which does bugger all anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom