Dual outputs from 2808?

daveb975

I am looking to take an HDMI output from my PS3 to Denon 2808 for sound AND a component output for picture.

Someone in the PS3 forum has confirmed that the PS3 can do this, but can the Denon handle two signals on one input?

daveb975

I have now got my 2808 and some HDMI cables, and have tried two sources with different results.

Firstly, the PS3 appears to be able to output video over component and audio over HDMI. The only thing is the display on the 2808 always shows 'Multi Ch In' now regardless of what type of signal is coming through.

Secondly, my Sony DVD player does the exact opposite! Connecting both component and HDMI gives me sound (display shows DD/DPLII etc), but no picture. The picture only comes back when I deselect HDMI altogeher in the Denon input setup menu.

Does anyone have any idea what 'Multi Ch In' means?

daveb975

The other strange thing is that when I assign HDMI, Component and Optical to the PS3 input on the Denon, I get no sound from the optical uotput of the PS3. As soon as I cancel the HDMI assign on the Denon, it comes back.

Jase

Distinguished Member
"Multi Ch In" means the Amp is receiving a multichannel PCM signal. The source player is doing the decoding of whatever format is on the disc and passing it as PCM to the Amp. That's how the PS3 works for HD Audio. It internally decodes Dolby TrueHD and converts it to PCM.

Your Sony DVD player will be passing the raw Bitstream signal to the Amp so that it can perform the decoding (which is why DD/DPLII etc appears on the display).

You can't usually assign both HDMI and Optical to the same Input but you can have HDMI audio and a Component Video Signal. If for some reason you do want the audio via Optical as well then assign that to another Input (say DBS) and then use the Video Select option to see the Component Video.

Bear in mind you won't be able to use the Video Select option with HDMI video sources.

daveb975

Jase, thanks this is very useful.

The only thing I am not sure about is why the PS3 is outputting a PCM signal all of the time (e.g. on the Stereo menu and DD games, not just HD tracks).

Do I just need to delve into the PS3 menus to get this sorted out?

Jase

Distinguished Member
I don't have a PS3 as yet but I'm not 100% sure if it can send a Bitstream signal via HDMI. Pretty sure it can't for HD Audio but for SD Audio someone else will have to confirm if it can. Alternatively, you may just have to play about in the PS3 menus and enable something (for SD Audio - Dolby Digital/DTS).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom