Dual Monitors

mbg2020

Novice Member
m a bit overwhelmed with the amount of options for connecting laptops to monitors there are. I have 2x 24inch monitors and want to run an extended screen from either of my laptops.(laptop doesnt need to act as a display.) ive been reading up and trying to get it working but i cant. Its in unclear if daisy chaining the 2monitors via DP cable only works if first monitor is also connected to laptop via DP. In my case its wired via Usb-c to macbook or HDMI to the HPLaptop.

If i cant fo it with the kit listed below is there an adaptor/splitter/cable i could use?

Laptop A:

Macbook Air

2x USB-C (one needed for power)

Laptop B:

HP 15-bs559sa

3x USB

1x HDMI

Monitor 1:

Dell P2419HC

1 x usb-c port

1x hdmi

2x displayport (in/out)

4x usb

Monitor 2:

HP Z24n G2

1 x DVI

1 x usb-c port

1x hdmi

2x displayport (in/out)

2x usb

Current Cables:

HDMI:HDMI

USB-C:USB-C

USB-C:USB

DP:DP (x2)

Spinke

Displayport daisy-chaining will only work when Displayport is the source from your laptop, which for you is not going to happen.

You'll need a USB3 dock that can accommodate your standard USB and USB-C connections to give you two display outputs, such as the Dell D6000. The price may make you consider how much you need dual displays attached to both laptops!

mbg2020

Novice Member
Displayport daisy-chaining will only work when Displayport is the source from your laptop, which for you is not going to happen.

You'll need a USB3 dock that can accommodate your standard USB and USB-C connections to give you two display outputs, such as the Dell D6000. The price may make you consider how much you need dual displays attached to both laptops!

Thanks Spinke. For clarity i am only looking to have dual monitors from one of my 2 laptops. Whichever i can manage.
if i used both usb-c ports on macbook is there another way i can charge the macbook? Via the monitor plugged into mains?

Spinke

I'm not sure if you're referring to the dock with regards to your question, if you are there would be a single USB connection to the dock which will give you dual video outputs, extra USB ports, and an RJ45 network port. The other USB port would still be available for charging as normal.

Spinke

Following on, if I read your last message correctly - being able to use ONE laptop rather than have the option of using EITHER (at different times, obviously) you could likely find a cheaper dock running on USB C or USB A (3) only. I envisaged that you'd like to be able to dock either laptop at will, to take advantage of both screens on whichever laptop you're using at the time.

(Edited for clarity)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom