Dual monitors and wallpapers

Steven

Senior Moderator
After 2 months research, I finally bought a monitor :clap: Hooked up to my HP nc8430 laptop via VGA and looks brilliant. And I have discovered dual monitors! Wow it is so awesome

How do you set separate wallpapers on each display on XP?

1) I know of the program Ultramon which allows one to set a different wallpaper for each display. But that program seems to cost money. Any freeware out there?
2) I also know of the "cheat":
Display Properties > Desktop > Customise Desktop > 'Web' tab > 'New' > choose wallpaper then drag it to the second display
But this method puts a solid background to the text of desktop icons. Yes I am actually being that fussy :D

Steven

Senior Moderator
OK the monitor cost me £222 so another £20 to enhance my dual display setup may not seem much in comparison, but I am selective about how I splash my cash :rotfl:

No freeware then I take it?

Steven

Senior Moderator
Well I've downloaded the 30 day trial for Ultramon. Wallpapers working very nicely and the smart taskbar is a.w.e.s.o.m.e

One small question... I have my laptop as my primary display and my external as the second display. I tried using Ultramon to set Pro Evo to open on the external monitor... unfortunately Pro Evo only runs on the primary display; the laptop :/

If I close my laptop lid with the external monitor still plugged in the external auto becomes primary display. Obviously no keyboard use as I don't have usb keyboard :p But this way I "trick" Pro Evo into running on the external display. This is all well and good but it means my laptop display can't be used.

Why won't Pro Evo run on the external with laptop display also being used? I have tried messing around with the 2 new Ultramon tabs in right click properties menu but no joy. Only actual Pro Evo display settings has effect on res. Is this like all games or just Pro Evo? Thanks

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Also if you are using an Nvidia card, install the NVidia Desktop management. IN addition to having multiple "desktops" to switch between it also allows different wallpaper on each monitor.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Thanks for the posts. I am still using the trial for ultramon. Damn what an awesome program. Why aren't all the features in XP as standard?!

Through Google I know of Nvidia catering for dual monitors setups. Unfortunately I am on an ATI card :p

if you've got both monitors running in ultramon, right click the little sys tray icon, select set primary, then select the one that isn't currently selected (i.e your external) right before you play pro evo. this will tell it to launch all new apps to that monitor = game on external display. tis how I play all my games.

just remember to set it back after you've finished, otherwise you'll lose lots of windows to the other desktop :smashin:

edit--- you won't actually be able to use the laptop desktop while pro evo is playing, coz it needs to have focus to accept inputs. you can still see whats going on though, like checking the progress of a download for example

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
In Ultramon you can set up rules to tun off displays prior to an application running and restore them after they have finished or after a certain amount of time IIRC.

Steven

Senior Moderator
if you've got both monitors running in ultramon, right click the little sys tray icon, select set primary, then select the one that isn't currently selected (i.e your external) right before you play pro evo. this will tell it to launch all new apps to that monitor = game on external display. tis how I play all my games.

just remember to set it back after you've finished, otherwise you'll lose lots of windows to the other desktop :smashin:

edit--- you won't actually be able to use the laptop desktop while pro evo is playing, coz it needs to have focus to accept inputs. you can still see whats going on though, like checking the progress of a download for example
That is the obvious thing to do but on 'set primary', monitor 2 is greyed out :p
In Ultramon you can set up rules to tun off displays prior to an application running and restore them after they have finished or after a certain amount of time IIRC.
Cool... without googling, how do I do that? And would my above sentence affect my being able to do this?

That is the obvious thing to do but on 'set primary', monitor 2 is greyed out :p

Cool... without googling, how do I do that? And would my above sentence affect my being able to do this?
check your windows display properties and make sure that both monitors are seen as two different monitors (labelled 1 and 2 obviously) first

are you sure that it's not a limitation of the ultramon trial?

Steven

Senior Moderator
Both monitors are identified correctly as '1' and '2' by Ultramon and XP separately with the big white letters

But I also saw my laptop says "Samsung etc model no." and the external is identified as "plug and play". It should be vice versa?

Steven

Senior Moderator
Q: Isn't XP itself meant to remember which screen apps were run on last?

If I start media player classic manually it correctly starts on my external monitor thanks to ultramon. If I pop a DVD into the drive and let it autoplay, MPC instead starts on my laptop screen. I have dragged MPC to external screen manually but DVDs still autoplay on my laptop instead of external? :confused:

How do I make MPC autoplay on external instead of laptop screen?

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom