Question Dual monitor setup on two different laptops

Hello all, I'm having a bit of confusion coming up with a solution to a problem.

I have two laptops, a Lenovo Legion Y720 (personal) and a HP EliteBook 850 G4 (work). Running Win 10 on both. I would like to plug either one (not simultaneously) to the dual monitor setup, one is BenQ BL2706HT and the other one is DELL P2720DC.

The Lenovo laptop only has a HDMI port, while the HP one has a DP and VGA ports. As for the monitors, the BenQ has a single HDMI but no DP, while the DELL one has both HDMI and DP.

What would be the most cost efficient way to have this setup working for both laptops, since I'll need to switch between them on a daily base?

I have looked into purchasing a USB-C docking station, however it seems that the HP laptop, while having a USB-C port, does not have a Thurderbolt 3 port. From the specifications: USB-C (Up to 5 Gbps data transfer and 15 W power).

It's also worth mentioning that I am mainly looking to use each monitor separately (extended, not mirrored/duplicated).

Any thoughs or ideas?

Thanks

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Are you sure the Y720 only has HDMI? Looking online it typically also comes with a pair of DisplayPort outputs (MiniDP and Thunderbolt 3).

Are you sure the Y720 only has HDMI? Looking online it typically also comes with a pair of DisplayPort outputs (MiniDP and Thunderbolt 3).
Thanks for the reply! I was aware of the Thunderbolt 3 on the Y720, but holy cow how did I miss the miniDP port is beyond me. So thanks for pointing that out!

Knowing this now, would a DisplayPort splitter with MST hub like this with 1x DP input and 2xDP outputs work (Using DP to HDMI cable to connect the BenQ monitor) ? As in, would I be able to have 1440p resolution on the DELL monitor, and 1080p on the BenQ ? And be able to extend view of either laptop as if I had two monitors plugged to two separate DP ports on the laptop?
The site is in danish, so here are the specs of the MST hub in question:

DisplayPort signal to 2 x DisplayPort splitter cable. Supports 4K UHD at 60Hz.

Can distribute the same image signal to two monitors so that the same image will be displayed on all monitors.

In MST mode, all connected monitors function as a single large screen.

The start signal can be divided so that different parts of the overall picture are displayed on all screens.

Important: Make sure your graphics card supports video wall mode before attempting to connect the 2 monitors.

Highlights:

• Connect 2 DisplayPort monitors to a DisplayPort computer or laptop
  • Expand, duplicate or display independent DP signals via dual DP monitors
  • Supports resolutions up to 4K 60Hz, and audio up to 7.1CH
  • Compatible with various graphics cards, including AMD Eyefinity, NVIDIA Surround and Intel Collage

Technical info:
  • Input: DisplayPort (Male)
  • Output: 2 x DisplayPort (Female)
  • Power: USB-A (Male)
  • Interface Standard: DP 1.2
  • 21.6 Gbps bandwidth
  • Maximum resolution: 3840x2160 @ 60Hz 4: 4 : 4 8bit
  • HDCP support: HDCP 1.3
  • Supported audio: Up to 7.1CH
  • Dual monitor
  • MST Hub

Thanks.

Last edited:

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
We do exactly as you outline. I have a personal laptop with HDMI and a business laptop with DP only.

Use HDMI for the connections and get a simple DP - HDMI adapter for the laptop without HDMI.

The reason for this is that you can easily adapt DP to HDMI, but it doesn't work the other way around without an expensive powered adapter, as DP has an HDMI "mode" but HDMI doesn't have a "DP" mode.

It makes no difference if you are extending or duplicating, the connections are the same.

One of these is all you need: https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/...PING&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!491034912151!!!network}!894299974463!&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgomBBhDXARIsAFNyUqNYsZrIumWaj20Y2wQWZmfAfzsDHFAwCBDUpXFfe_OOAB6Ey9Fa9Q4aAlPqEALw_wcB

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Knowing this now, would a DisplayPort splitter with MST hub like this with 1x DP input and 2xDP outputs work (Using DP to HDMI cable to connect the BenQ monitor) ? As in, would I be able to have 1440p resolution on the DELL monitor, and 1080p on the BenQ ?

Depends on the total resolution, not just the height. Assuming they're both 16:9 (i.e. FHD and QHD) then that won't be a problem.

I'm not sure of the interaction between MST (driving multiple independent monitors through one connection) and dual mode (the optional feature for DisplayPort sockets to be able to output HDMI and DVI).

Looking around it appears you can use dual mode (i.e. the cheaper passive adapters/cables) with at least some MST hubs:

The laptop will need to support dual mode but it's a widespread feature, I'm not sure whether the MST hub needs explicit support for it.

MST does allow full independence of the monitors, they work just like being plugged into separate ports. You are limited to the total bandwidth a single port can provide but assuming DP 1.2 or above that's more than enough for one FHD and one QHD screen.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom