Dual Monitor set up

Zippy1

Novice Member
Hi I am attempting to set up twin monitors to a ThinkPad generation 1 Laptop L15 It has one hdmi port, I am trying to do it without a docking station I thought I could set up DVI to HDMI and USB to VGA via an adaptor which i could on my old lap top. But wouldnt work. So I tried a USB C Hub with an additional HDMI port but then i can only use the HDMI port on the Hub or the HDMI port on the lap top if both are plugged in only one works . Is there a simple way to set this up ? Would a Thinkpad Ultradock work 40A2 ? or a Thinkpad pro 40A1 . I was told to get an HDMI adaptor (not splitter ) as I want to extend the screens but have no idea which one any help would be appreciated thankyou

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Yeah, a splitter generally refers to a device that duplicates the signal and that won't work.

USB-C brought a new way of doing video over USB as well as supporting the old one so troubleshooting without details of the specific devices ('adaptors') is a bit tricky.

Do you have any other displays connected? The behaviour you describe sounds like you might be running up against the maximum number of supported displays, but three is the normal minimum these days so that shouldn't be the case.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom