1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Monitor set up...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Reedly, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Reedly

Reedly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

I have a Dell desktop computer with an ATI Radeon 9200 video card, and the crappy internal video card that came with it. I have just hooked up a 2nd monitor via the internal card's plugin.

I am successfully using the two monitors - each with the same desktop background on them. I am wondering if there is any way possible for this computer to have adifferent background on each monitor.

I was told that it is NOT possible by a Best Buy employee. I have only a hint of trust for what those guys tell me, but I'm not finding any news in this case to prove him wrong. The only thing that confuses me, is that he said my internal card is switched to "disabled" which makes it impossible to use at the same time as the ATI Radeon 9200...but how is it that the second monitor is working, if the plugin is disabled?

Any enlightment on this issue is greatly appreciated.

THanks!

Reedly.

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    I could be wrong here, but I suspect you have a dual monitor radeon, as well as video on the motherboard. The motherboard video is probably disabled through bios, and you are probably just using the radeon card with two monitors (which the 9200 cards usually support).

With this configuration, I don't believe you can have two different desktop backgrounds. In my experience, it just displays the one background image on both monitors. However, depending on what you are trying to acheive, you may be able to run a slideshow/screensaver program on the second monitor, which may work as well for you?

3. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ultramon is your friend. Great little program for dual displays and worth the registration fee if your gonna use it for any period of length. Will fix your problem and has countless other features.