Dual Monitor/PC problem help

Kurby

Established Member
Reaction score
I just got a new monitor today:

LG W2261VP 22 inch LCD Monitor 16:9 DVI HDMI - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I've been using dual monitors for about 9 months but the 2nd monitor I was using was my sisters old 15" TV :D Anyway it works perfectly (new monitor is connect via hdmi and the 2nd monitor is connected by the blue one, vga I think it's called) except when I turn it off the usb sound (the one that makes a noise when you unplug a memory stick etc) came on. I turned the monitor back on again and the usb sound (the one which tells you you've plugged somthing in) comes on. The 2nd Monitor (which was my 1st monitor before I got the new one) shows the start button etc on it until it goes blank, the new monitor comes on and the start button etc is back on this screen now but the desktop icons have moved like I've changed the resolution.

It's not really a major issue but I would like to get it fixed as having to move all the desktop icons everytime I turn the monitor on will get annoying lol.

I'm running vista 64 bit btw

Thanks in advance.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Upgrade to Windows 7 i have the same setup

That's not a very helpful answer, many people have been using multiple monitor setups for years before windows 7 came out.

Your description of the problem is a little unclear, when does this problem happen exactly. Only when you turn one of the monitors off while in windows?

Sorry I couldn't word it right lol. Basically whenever I turn the new monitor off and back on again the screen seems to change resolution. The start button will go onto my 2nd monitor (about 2 seconds after I've turned the 1st monitor on) then back onto my 1st monitor when it's actually on. Now as my 2nd monitor is 1440x900 and my 1st monitor is 1920x1080, I'm guessing it's choosing my 2nd monitor as the main monitor for a few seconds. I've checked the hdmi cable isn't loose, I've upgraded the monitor drivers but I don't know what else to do.

I was planning on buying another LG W2261VP next week so both monitors will be the same, but I'm not sure now unless it's my 2nd monitor that's causing the problem.

Check or update your graphics card drivers control panel if its AMD/ATI or Nvidia based they have a section which tells the OS which is the primary display and which is the secondary. For AMD switch to advanced mode in the catalyst control center then look under "Desktop & Displays".

Are you physically turning the displays off what happens if you leave them in standby when the OS turns them off ?

Check or update your graphics card drivers control panel if its AMD/ATI or Nvidia based they have a section which tells the OS which is the primary display and which is the secondary. For AMD switch to advanced mode in the catalyst control center then look under "Desktop & Displays".

Are you physically turning the displays off what happens if you leave them in standby when the OS turns them off ?

I haven't updated my graphics card drivers so maybe that's the problem.

Yeah the same problem happens when they go into standby.

Just updated my graphics card drivers and it's solved the problem.

Thanks for all your help.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom