Dual-Link DVI output ... and is there such a thing as Dual-Link HDMI?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by StooMonster, Mar 23, 2005.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Any scalers with Dual-Link DVI output? i.e. an additional TDMS transmitter to drive large megapixel displays (such as my Apple 30" Cinema Display's 2560x1600 pixels @ 60Hz)?

Most TDMS transmitters are 165MHz and top out at [email protected] To circumvent this bandwidth problem the DVI specification includes a mode of operation called Dual-Link; where two TMDS transmitters are used in combination to feed a single monitor through a single connector, all the 24 DVI-D pins are used to carry signal. The available bandwidth doubles to 330MHz, and can display approximately nine megapixels ([email protected]).
    Note: not to be confused with dual Single-Link, i.e. two Single-Link outputs from same device, Dual-Link is one connector.

However, Silicon Image's SiI 1172 is the highest bandwidth TDMS transmitter available at 225MHz and can drive 2560x1600 @ 55Hz though single-link DVI; and two of these in Dual-Link mode have 450MHz. :)

But I digress, LCD displays are getting higher and higher resolution (Apple for one are rumoured to be working on 40" Cinema display with same 100dpi as rest of range) and perhaps these higher than HDTV resolutions will even move into Home Cinema (Theater) and living rooms soon too.

Therefore another question that occurs to me ... does HDMI specification also include Dual-Link mode for large megapixel displays?

StooMonster

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27