niccam

Standard Member
Hi could someone please put me right on the DUAL LAYER
1 Do you need dual layer discs?
2 Can you burn on single layer discs
3 Will a 3 hour or 5 hour project be the same as DVD quality
4 Whats the upside benefits as to single layer
5 Is there any downsides to DUAL LAYER

Is there anything I need to know if I'm going to purchase a dual layer burner.

Thank you

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Do you need dual layer discs?
Yes - you need dual layered 8.5GB discs.

Can you burn on single layer discs
Yes - all burners are backwards compatible. Given the limited numbers of companies producing dual layered media the cost difference is likely to mean most people will continue to use standard, single layer (4.7GB) media for the foreseeable future.

Will a 3 hour or 5 hour project be the same as DVD quality
As with single layer discs that depends upon the authoring process. Generally though you can fit around 4hrs of DVD quality (full resolution) footage on a dual layer DVDR.

Whats the upside benefits as to single layer
Cheaper and proven compatibility (DVD-R).

Is there any downsides to DUAL LAYER
Longevity is an unknown and the media still carries a price premium compared to two single layer discs.

Is there anything I need to know if I'm going to purchase a dual layer burner
If you opt for a Pioneer 109/A09 burner you will get DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL compatibility.

niccam

Standard Member
Thanks for repling so quickly Rasczaka on the point of which burner anybody any thoughs of WHICH ONE

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
on the point of which burner anybody any thoughs of WHICH ONE
Well as I mentioned if you get the Pioneer 109 (or the equivalent A09) then you will get DVD-R DL compatibility in addition to DVD+R DL - not many other burners offer this at present (the 'minus' DL format is brand new and is slwly appearing on new burners). I'm not entirely sure that DVD-R DL will bring anything to the party that DVD+R DL hasn't given us already but it can't hurt to keep your options open. And Pioneer burners are top-notch IMHO.

If you don't like Pioneer then I can firmly recommend LG drives - I have been using three LG drives for the last two years without problems. The LG4163 is an excellent choice - although it only supports DVD+R DL. It does however have DVD-RAM read/write support (the Pioneer only has DVD-RAM read support).

niccam

Standard Member
Another question has come to mind will the DUAL LAYER discs play in all DVD players

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Another question has come to mind will the DUAL LAYER discs play in all DVD players
It's early days so you won't get a definitive answer (or if you do it's made up!). Compatibility of DVD+R DL seems very good though - out of maybe two dozens DVD player/recorders/ROM/RW drives I've tried they have played on most. As for DVD-R DL it is still several months from being commercially available in the UK so we are not sure yet - I would expect similar compatibility to DVD+R DL.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom