Dual Layer media and Panasonic HS2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by overkill, Sep 23, 2004.

1. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    This may, or may not be of interest, but Panasonic, in a reply to an e-mail query confirmed that:- "I would explain that there is no plans to produce an upgrade to allow this unit to write to dual layer discs at this time. However this might be something that we would look to include in the future" So, no dual layer support for the immediate future.

Hope this helps.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    It's very, very unlikely that Panasonic will every include 'upgrades' to allow previous models of DVD recorders to write to dual layer disks - the drives are hardware incompatible with dual layer burning. You'll need to buy a new machine and I should imagine that is what is implied in their response.

3. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Will they (E85 in particular) read dual layer media written on a PC though?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Yes - I have no problems reading Dual Layer DVD+Rs on my Panasonic recorders (HS2, E95) and most of my DVD players for that matter (even ones which don't read DVD+Rs). Early days yet but DVD+R DL seems very compatible.

5. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Funny you should say that........ :) It appears that with recording this isn't the case, with some media being rejected by a wide number of DL burners - hence the enquiry to Panasonic.

I have to admit that I was surprised that: A) they replied at all, as many big companies simply ignore e-mails from "mere mortals" B) that they were candid in their response. I didn't really expect a yes.

I thought it might be useful for other people interested in DL burning on domestic recorders, and there seems plenty of them looking at other forums, to know what pannys response was.

6. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where do you get your dual layer media?

Price comparisons?

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Yes I agree with that. I have had a wide number of failures (Verbatim, Traxdata, RiDisc) - and it is annoying at £6 a shot - but then in the early days of DVD-R it was the same. Drive producers are slowly starting to release firmware updates that expand/improve media compatibility for recording: the NOAD firmware for the LG4120 for example. When I was talking about compatibility I was referring to successfully burnt disks.

I am buying the Verbatim ones only at the moment from here. They are £6 a shot but I'm not burning that many at present so price isn't really too much of an issue.

8. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thats a relief - I just ordered a DVD burner yesterday which does RAM and dual layer media (LG5120), and lo and behold the idea that I might not be able to read them popped into my head!

Glad it will be OK - I had originally just assumed they would just be read like dual layer movies once burnt.

9. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Even my Denon 2900 reads dual layer discs, so compatibility must be good. :smashin:

I burn on a Pioneer 108 and so far not a single coaster. I burn at 2.4 times, although x4 is possible.