1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dual layer dvd writers

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by nathsea, Jun 15, 2004.

1. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    hi

thought it about time that I invested in a dvd writer, i saw this one on ebuyer
    NEC ND-210A , what do you think of this - i realise I might not be able to get the media just yet, but it will be here shortly.

Any other ideas?

Nathan

2. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Just bought one a few days ago and works fine on normal single layer. It is my first DVD writer also and is amazingly priced. I was also waiting for dual layer capability before buying.

Darren

3. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    thanks for the reply, does anybody know how long before the media will be available in the uk?

Nathan

4. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    @RIGMAN - does the drive generate much noise when spinning up? I'm looking at a quiet DVD writer for my new HCPC setup as my current Pioneer makes TO MUCH NOISE!!!!! I've heard that Lite-On's are the ones to go for.

5. kevlong

kevlong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I go the Liteon 832s which will be able to burn DVD+R DL when the media becomes available. It is noisier than the Sony DRU500 it replaced so not really for a HCPC I think.
    Media availability is an issue at the moment however plenty of manufacturers, e.g. Ritek claim that DL media will be available soon. Expect prices to be high initially though.
    For HCPC, I would say that quieter drives will be along soon.

You may also see from other forums that 16X media and blue ray will make choices even harder soon.

Kevlong

6. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    hi thanks for your replies.

Are the dual layers only +R or are they going to do -R in the near future, or is the "-" format dying out?

Many thanks

Nathan

7. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just ordered a NEC 2510 from microdirect. It's on special @ £57.52 inc VAT (the black front version is £58.69). I'm using it to replace a Pioneer 106 so I'll report back on how they compare noise level wise.

8. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My local computer shop quoted £5 a DL Disc, but they are not getting them in until they come down in price

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't blame them :rolleyes:

"Buy 10 DL DVD discs & get a dual layer DVD burner free" :rotfl:

10. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dual layer media will be expensive to start with but will drop in price. They are projected to cost not much more than a single layer disk once production techniques are refined. If you can't wait until towards the end of the year when -r dual layer writers start to appear then it makes good sense to buy a dual layer writer now rather than a single layer writer given the small difference in cost (approx. £10). The 2510 is only a 'calibrated' version of the highly rated 2500 and therefore capable of writing single layer disks at x8.

11. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    should i be worried about buying a dual layer writer that only does "+" and not "-", should I wait a few months, or do you think you will be able to flash upgrade to do both formats?

Nathan

12. rob12770

rob12770
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    It is my understanding that the "-" format is more compatable with more standalone players in the uk, however i have never used "+" so i dont know this for sure,...this is part of a reveiw " That should provide a further boost for the DVD+R/+RW format, which is increasingly seen as the successor to the older DVD-R/-RW spec., thanks to its full multi-session compatibility with both DVD-ROM and consumer DVD systems. Essentially, DVD+RW discs can be re-edited even when the session has been closed - of 'finalised' - to ensure compatibility with DVD video playback. That said, there have been some claims about the level of DVD+R/+RW compatibility with consumer DVD players; the consensus appears to be that DVD-R/-RW discs, suitably finalised, are more likely to work with any DVD player than is a DVD+R/+RW" this entire info is really about dual layer dvdr and is located here http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/03/8_5gb_dvd_r_discs/

I have fitted nec dvdr drives before ND2500A etc (not the dual layer model you guys are reffering to ) but I find them to be problematic with many IO errors and I only use Ritek discs,
    the idea of dual layer interests me as sometimes as you know you can only get 50% or so, not much good if you use a Projector :thumbsdow I went back to my pioneer 105 , never faild me yet, so I will wait for pioneer to bring out a dual layer writer, alas I only use printable Ritek so I may have to wait a little longer,, ah, well it should be worth it :D
    (afterthought) would there be a layerbreak with the dual layer dvdr's ?
    I hope not as clonedvd 2 does an excellent job at talking it out !

or..If + is not a problem, I might go for the sony DRU-700A
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/DVD_RW_Drives.html#aCD_2d027_2dSO

there is an ariticle reffering to another article saying that " Pioneer previously demonstrated their DVR-106 capable of burning dual layer discs during CES 2004 (January). The drive only burned at 2X, but considering the DVD-R DL disc was burned using only a modified firmware"
    this is a link to more info about this on another forum, (hope thats ok)
    http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14476

13. kevlong

kevlong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently DL disks are only + format, but expect - in the not too distant future. It is also likey that today's DL burners will be capable of burning - DL formats with a firmware change.

Kevlong

14. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Quiet PC recommends the NEC DVD drives, so I assume this means they are quiet enough for HCPC applications.

I'm thinking about getting the ND 2510A for use in the STRATA enclosure, and would be interested in users feedback on reliability and noise levels.

15. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    so is the NEC 2510A the best to go for dual layer writing aside.. I quite fancied the Pioneer DVR-A07XLB which you can get for about £70 including some software.. I just want a reliable drive for archiving thats does not sound like a space shuttle when running :)

Matt

16. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I wouldn't bother with the Sony DRU-700A buy the LiteOn 832s and write 'Sony' on the front. It'll save you a packet!

Look here for more info.

The LiteOn is still about £20 more expensive than the NEC 2510a.

Media compatibilty does seem to be an odd one. Reading through various forums I keeping finding conflicting reports on writer and media compatability. I.E. one person saying my 'XYZ' writer works great with 'ABC' media and then another person reports that they get coasters with the same combo. I bought my Pioneer because it appeared to be the best for compatibilty with different media. In practice for me this hasn't worked out although I know it has for plenty of others.

My 2510 should arrive tomorrow. I'll hopefully report back my first impressions tomorrow evening.

17. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    BBD

Have you received your NEC drive yet ? If so what are your impressions as regards quality, reliability, and noise ?

18. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I was gonna buy an NEC yesterday but was put off by many people talking of reliability problems. IN the end I couldn't resist buying a Pioneer 107 for £49 from the local computer shop. Not a bad price I thought.

I am also just a little dubious of these mfrs claiming to offer an upgrade to DL writing with a firmware update. Surely if it were that simple all the mfrs (especially Pioneer) would be offering it? And if it is that simple (laser recalibration via firmware update) then who knows, we may even see Pioneer offer it at a later date (we can always hope). End of the day, at £49, I can just buy another when Pioneer bring out a DL version.

19. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I read on cdfreaks that you can firmware update a 2500a for dual layer but as the laser is meant to be stronger in the 2510a for reading the second layer I guess theres the chance you could knacker the 2500 in the process after a time.

I cannot decide whether to get a NEC or something like the pioneer. I reckon the price of dual layer is going to be expensive for a while.. and the write speed are so slow you could do 4 single layers in the same time..Need to buy a burner though as my discs are full to the brim :)

Matt

20. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Sorry for taking so long to reply

The drive is very quiet compared with all the other drives I have owned although as I said it is my first DVD writer and my other DVD rom drive sound like a jet engine in comparison. I would say it was less noisy than the fans on my Barco 808s and should be okay for HCPC work.

Hope that helps
    Darren

21. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    smallangryboy - Yes I have received my NEC drive. Simple answer on the noise front - yes it is very quiet. It doesn't spin-up to warp factor 9 like my pioneer 106D this is without using any drive speed limiting utilities.
    On the reliability front I'm still having similar issues to my Pioneer drive 106 drive (see my post 'My Pioneer 106 doesn't like its own disks!'. It will read disks written at x2 without any problems but x4 are a bit hit and miss. I like to see a perfectly smooth curve on Nero's 'CD-DVD speed' test utility. This is better than my Pioneer both on the reading and writing front but still not ideal. I suspect the media I'm using is the culprit. I don't mind writing at x2 until I've used it all. I've also managed to write to and read reliably from x2.4 rw media which my Pioneer struggled with. So overall a definite improvement on the Pioneer but I will need change media to get the best out of it. Dual layer trials will have to wait until prices are more sensible!

22. bond007

bond007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There will be a layer break because there is a layer change on the dual layer disk. The break/pause occurs because the transition between the 2 cells on the disks are marked as non-seamless for the layer break, and when re-encoded this flag is set to seamless so that it doesnt have the pause when on a single layer, but it is required on the dual layer, as there is a break. The amount of pause will depend on the write strategy used, if it written so it reads from inner to outer section on layer 0 and then on layer 1 if it then reads from either outer to inner or inner to outer (the former producing less of a pause).

I didnt have a look at the link provided for this, but this was just a rumor that started that it was just firmware that was changed on this drive, but it turned out it also had modified hardware. There are a few 8X DVD writers that work with modified firmware (unofficial) for dual layer support now. DVD-R DL is supposed to be released at the end of the year, and the initial speed is supposed to be 2x but it is thought that it may be increased to 4x due to DVD+R DL having the head start and also burning at 2.4x