dual layer dvd recorders?

nathsea

Hi all

Been thinking recently about getting a dvd writer - but heard rumours about dual layer ones being released soon or even upgrades for the ones that are aout now. Does anybody have any info or timescales.

Many Thanks

Nathan

nathsea

Intersting, so do you think I would be best to wait a few months and get one that comes with dual layer as standard?

Nathan

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I think I might wait a while as I've already seen people being advised to burn 2x DVDs on an 8 speed writer as this will be much faster than burning 1 dual layer DVD.

Wasabi

Plenty of dual layer news here - http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/archive

Manufacturers that I know, expected to release DL recorders this year.

Philips
Liteon
Benq
Sony
Pioneer
Aopen
BTC
LG probably

Wasabi

F

FoxyMulder

Its kinda funny when you think about, Sony own Columbia and surely its against their interests to have a dual layer capable recording drive on the market, wouldnt this lead to more piracy problems ?

I am interested in this because i have some discs which suffer from disc rot and i would like to back some of my own up just in case they go the same way.

KraGorn

Novice Member
Sony is a highly schizophrenic organisation, often their consumer electronics and PC hardware arms produce devices which give their media organisations apoplexy. :D

Also, although dual-layer DVD-ROMS hold 9.4Gb I've seen dual-layer DVD-Rs quoted at 8.5Gb so direct copying will still not be possible, although of course the amount of re-compression will be greatly reduced.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom