Dual layer DVD+R playback problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Boggie, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Boggie

Boggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am a DVD Author working in London and for some months now we have been using NEC 3500AG dual layer burners to send check discs to clients prior to replication. We use Verbatim double layer DVD+R stock which was recommended to us as the most stable media available.

One of our clients is having difficulties playing the dual layer discs on their aging players so they bought themselves a brand new Sony DVP-NS355. Unfortunately this has not helped the situation much as it struggles to play the DVD9 discs successfully. Menus are not properly displayed, sometimes not at all and when Mpeg streams are played the picture quality is very poor with excessive macro blocking and mosquito artefacts. We are using an old Pioneer DV-454 which plays the discs fine but as it is discontinued I cannot recommend it to the client as a way around the problem.

I would be very grateful if anyone out there has experience of players that will handle dual layer discs without issue so that I can pass on the recommendation.

Thanks in anticipation,
    Boggie

2. joegib

joegib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You mention +R in the heading but -R in the body of your message. I presume you mean +R since D/L -R has only recently been released. A few points:

1. I believe your burner is capable of "bitsetting" i.e setting the disk "signature" to DVD-ROM. I've seen reports that this does work with D/L disks too. Maybe a disk produced in this way would be more compatible with your client's machine.

2. The reports here:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?selectmedia=1999#comments

— suggest that the Verbatim D/L disks are most compatible with Panasonic and Pioneer players of various vintages. The rest are a bit of a mixed bag.

3. There's one report here that bitsetting on D/L worked for this player:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=NS355&Search=Search&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25