Dual layer drive

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by bogart99, Apr 26, 2007.

1. bogart99

bogart99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Trying to back up my entire copy of DVD films using DVD X Copy which works fine. I have now arrived at the point that the remaining films are over the capcity limit of a single DVD. I dont want backup copies spread over 2 discs or compressed to much so is a dual layer drive the answer. If so is it straightforward to use, ie will DVD X Copy see the setup as a dual layer and not try and compress it or spread it over 2 discs?
    Cheers

2. RedRooster

RedRooster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD Shrink will do the job, and its free.
    Be warned, most dual-layer discs are still crap, the still can't seem to get it right after all this time.
    Verbatim DL discs are the best bet. Make sure the DVD drive you buy can bitset DVD DL +R discs to DVD-Rom Booktype, then you can use them and DVD DL -R discs. I would go for the Pioneer 112 drives.

3. Naqv

Naqv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    As above, USE DVDSHRINK and DO COMPRESS them. You will not notice the difference between a dual-layers backup disc and a single disc compressed using DVDShrink. I have done hundreds of single disc backups from my dual-layer original discs.
    Just try it, and let me know if you see the difference.

4. insomniak123

insomniak123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    if you use dvd shrink and set it to best quality, and remove any extras you don't want (like extra audio tracks for example) you'll get an awesome quality back-up that'll be extremely hard to distinguish from the original :smashin:

tis good stuff dvd shrink, only thing i use to backup my dvds

5. bogart99

bogart99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hi

Downloaded DVD shrink and got myself a Pioneer DL writer. Been messing about with both. One more question how do I get DVD shrink to write to a DL disc knowing it is such, it always wants to compress everything?
    Cheers

6. Big_Vern

Big_Vern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If you click "Edit" and select "Preferences" you should be able to select DVD9 (8.5GB) from the Target DVD size dropdown.

Regards

Big_Vern