1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Dual KEF PSW3000's? Want to get something that will reach the lower Hz? < £600

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by curlywurly01, Jul 18, 2005.

1. curlywurly01

curlywurly01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have at the moment 2 x KEF PSW3000 linked together in my system, Yamaha RX-V640RDS, Kef Q7’s (Front Channel A), Kef Q5 (Front Channel B) and Kef Q4’s (Rears), I have a Kef Coda 80 Centre Speaker. This system maybe very tuneful and detailed at medium volume on the Yamaha about -50dB, but at higher volumes the speakers override the subwoofers, say about -26dB - -20dB. Bass and Treble dials turned full to the right and listening mode is NEO: 6 Music. Main Channels set at 0dB, Centre set at + 2.5dB, rear surrounds set to + 9.0dB, the subwoofer is set to -5dB. The system has tight and detailed bass response and also has very natural vocals arising from KEF UNI Q drivers, but the lower ends of the spectrum, are very…. lacking. Or no existence, for that fact. I was thinking of buying a Yamaha yst-sw1500 to reach the lower bass frequencies and to sell the too kefs. IS this a stupid mistake, and can you recommend me another sub that is worth thinking about < £500. Please do not offer me anything to do with Tannoy, Wharfedale, Sony, MJ acoustics, B&W, Mission, REL as I have tested nearly all of them and they do not integrate with system like a subwoofer should, and yes I have tested all the different settings possible, placement, phase, level, frequency, adjustments from the subwoofer before you question my motifs. You may suggest the higher range kefs, but money is slow to come by these days as only being on £3/per hour.

Kind Regards

Oliver Thornton
    7th June 1989

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If size isn't an issue the SVS PB-10 should tick all of your boxes and leave you with change as they currently cost a little over £400

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    What sort of problems did you have with the subwoofers that you've tried from that long list of manufacturers?

Rather than jumping straight in with a new sub I think that there's a different underlying issue that you need to resolve first. :)

4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Indeed!

What are your room dimensions Oliver....?

Nimby

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    This may be more down to your amp and cross over than the subs to blame, maybe your sub interconnector is getting crossed by the speaker cabling? as tyhis could cause interference.
    Also a strange thing I found was that when my entire system was on the wll outlet wasn't providing enough power for my sub, which worked on its own but when the entire system was on it got pretty much no juice.

6. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    This is most unlikely (unless of course you are using kilowatt upon kilowatt to supply power amps and inducing massive line sag - which is still pretty unlikely in a domestic enviroment).

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As Steve has already suggested,this is a practical impossiblity,as if your system was drawing that amount of power,a line fuse would have blown long before...my own system has a number of old Class A Krells running in it,plus an SVS sub etc,and despite a very high loading,nothing like this has ever happened.....also,a mains socket is not selective in providing power for some parts of the system,and not others,when all are connected to a common outlet.

It's much more likely that room interactions,or possibly between the 2 subs also,that maybe the root of the problem.

8. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    It was from a dual socket, and all my stuff except the sub is pluged into a belkin av multi socket my sub was pluged into the other socket.

I found the sub worked when doing test toine and stuff (i.e. only it was on) but whent he entire system was on it didn't come on.

I moved it to a different socket in the room and it works fine now, its is an old house so maybe thats the explination.

9. curlywurly01

curlywurly01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *lafs*, well i live in an old pub, and the walls are 3ft thick, but my room is on the second floor, this in all means that the floor does suffer. I have recently re timbered my floor and all coleration has dissapated and my systems now is what ive always wanted to here, the problem is that all though the kef psw3000's work fantantic as a pair, they have a reach on down to 32Hz. At -5dB so this is the lacking deeply in the lower Hz. The subs that i have tried and tested, well dont suit what my system is, none of them even come close to the kefs never mind the lower frequencies. Me thinks that ive got more chance of finding hens teeth, that to get what im after.

10. curlywurly01

curlywurly01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My rooms sizes are = 500 in x 172 in. (40.5ft x 16ft) :thumbsup:

11. curlywurly01

curlywurly01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    great help, i only join the other day!! bloody amazing :)

12. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    40ft x 16ft! This is a huge space to drive with an "ordinary" sub or even a pair of them. It's time to get serious! :cool:

If funds are tight I'd be looking at a secondhand SVS powered cylinder (or two or three or four or ..) :devil:

It's by far the cheapest way to get some real bass into your room. Your space is so large you won't even notice half a dozen of these big tubes!

Your present set-up isn't giving you any more bass than many floorstanders can manage in an average-sized room. I find my single SVS 16-46 PCi will give me at least 105dB at seriously low frequencies in a 30 feet open-plan room on two floors.

You should get a decent output to around 20Hz at reasonable levels even from a single SVS. Which model you get doesn't even matter really as it will still make a serious difference to your present lack of bass.

If you email SVS technical support with your room size and musical/film tastes and volume levels they will advise on which sub to aim for and how many you need.

Nimby

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    With a room the size of yours I very much doubt that any sub within your price range will give you deep bass at high sound levels as there is just too much air to pressurise.

Whatever you buy you will probably need at least a pair and whilst the SVS PB-10 that I originally suggested will probably be an improvement on your pair of KEFs I doubt whether it will give you what you want unless you buy at least two of them or move into a smaller room.

14. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would take your time and try and look for a ex dem or 2nd hand bargain - A velodyne HGS12x went on ebay for £570 this week (slight damage to corner) or you could try and check the Sunfire True on - http://www.audusa.com/exdemo.htm for £600 rated at 18hz and 110db review here - http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/sunfiresub/

And as said SVS would appear to tick all the right boxes for you if you can find one within your budget

Best of luck

15. curlywurly01

curlywurly01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the help guys, there is another room in the house that is just a box room, the dimensions of this room, are 12.09ft x 14.04ft, me thinks that that this is alittle on the small side but then my arms and legs wouldnt have to be donated to the local hospital for research :) in order for me to get one of these babies. thanks again.