1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dual head driver for Radeon VE query?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr.D, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    My HTPC is great . Nice and stable.
    Normally I wouldn't want to change the drivers for any of the hardware but I've recently bought a plasma screen and would like to use the dual head capability of my Radeon VE to drive both displays at the same time: nothing fancy both run at the same resolution I just want duplicate desktops on both.

The driver I'm currently using is a generic ATI driver rather than the one that came with the card: its the one that was recommended for Theatertek and again its caused no problems whatsoever.
    However it doesn't activate the second output: which is a DVI with a piggybacked analogue RGBHV output ( this is the output I'll be using on the plasma via an adaptor).

Getting a newer driver that activates the second output would seem to be the most sensible thing to do ( in preference to buying a vga splitter).

Firstly does anyone know of a nice driver that will activate the second output and not knacker Theatertek?

(I'll check out TT website too)

Something I've discovered. You only get the one overlay regardless on either monitor so nothing I do with regard to a dual head graphics card will give me what I want: same desktop into boths displays no fancy split workspace or anything just the same picture to both.

So what about a second PCI graphics card ? Will this give me what I'm after ? Identical displays on both the plasma and projector?

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Some of the latest cat drivers will give a dual overlay but not sure if it works with the VE, might need a newer card like a 9500/9600.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Got to grips with this last night.
    Piece of cake!

Able to run 856x480 into both my plasma and ae100 in clone mode and switch between them with only one minor issue: that being if the overlay is active when I switch between displays it gets offset about 50 pixels left or right depending on display. The actual desktop is fine though and restarting the relevant app sorts things out.

Also able to run with different resolutions on each display if I require which will be nice when I replace the projector.

So very soon I can replace my current standalone dvd player , vcr , gondigital box for the HTPC. Running with myHTPC frontend its getting simple enough for the missus and kids to use ( my 2 year old is already capable of running the vcr!)