1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dual graphics cards/ dual processor help

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by wormvortex, Oct 20, 2005.

1. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    so i'm looking to update my pc and found my motherboard has basically got as far as its gonna go so gonna update that, thats when i noticed i can get a relativly good one that supports both the dual graphics and processor features was thinking of getting a geforece 6800gt:

http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=3MFV&CategorySelectedId=11003

and getting a second one at some point. question is, is it a good card for todays games fear/quake 4 etc... or is it not all that good for the price. Also will having two off them make me a noticable huge difference?

next question is about the dual processors, currently i have a 754 pin 3400+ running at 2.4ghz, i was looking at dual ones and they aint cheap! however the 3800+ version is within what i'd spend. however its only a 512kb where the others are a 1mb one and its also only 2ghz where as my current one is 2.4. However having in a sense 2 processors in one will this be noticable as i can use one for all the **** like norton,msn etc and the other for gaming (i assume) can anyone recommend it being a good idea or not. I'm likely to need a new processor anyways as i can only fine one motherboard that supports sli cards thats a 747pin version.

heres the one i was looking into:

http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...lectedId=11147&NavigationKey=11147,4294958572

sorry for the long post, but i aint too knowlegable on the dual cards subject

2. fathazza

fathazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    just a quick correction in that the processors you are talking about are actually dual core as opposed to dual processor...

youd be much better of getting a 7800gt instead of the 6800gt and they are only a tad more expensive, (around £260 at a lot of retailers) and will provide a serious performance boost over the 6800. first link i came up with... http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=249092

as to the cpu if you are using your pc primarily for gaming i dont think you will see that much of a performance increase at the moment to warrant the cost of going dual core because most games arent coded in parallel yet... The real benefit you will see in multitreaded apps and if you do alot of multitasking... (and i guess future multithreaded games if you think that far ahead ;) )

cheaper x2 3800 link http://www.lowestonweb.com/Products/DisplayInfoMain.asp?e=A3270BAC-3C4B-4D65-9A3D-CF1CBC7C038F

3. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    yeah dual core, thanx for pointing that out. I'm still not sure about it though but the reason i was considering it was that i will need a new processor no matter what and that was not much more expensive than the 3800+ standard 64bit i was looking at.

Thanx for the sites as well

4. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I use the 6800 GT myself and it's a very good card and I haven't had a problem with recent games, however with the 7800GT out now which is even more powerful you would probably be better off with that.

5. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
  6. fathazza

fathazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    going for the 7800gt is a no brainer to be honest, its only a tiny bit more expensive for almost twice the performance in some games...

If you dont want to spend much money you could just buy an agp 6800gt and use it with your present system which would still be a pretty viable gaming system for new releases...

personally i dont think dual core is worth the money yet, theres an interesting review here http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q3/athlon64-x2-3800/index.x?pg=4 where you can see that the dual core really doesnt add anything at all to present games

7. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read a gaming test on one of those sites like sharkys or something. Where they compared dual core Athalon, with single core , and also San Diego core with Venice core.

For games purposes a faster single core is better than a dual core at a slower pace. Games just don't take advantage of dual core yet.

Stuff like rendering and video burning and paintshop pro is much faster with dual core, but not games.

The key here is , at this time. As 360 and PS3 and Revolution are multi core/chip, this will drive prorgammers and developer kits to take advantage of this. But games or runtime evironments need to be architedted to take advantage of this.

So what I would do , and did, is buy a slower core now, with a motheboard that can upgrade to dual core later on when games can take advantage of this.

Also by that time dual core will be more reasonable in price and hence more bang for buck.

And even a Venice core is faster for games than the equivalent speed San Diego core, so even more savings in the short term.

Then you have a fast but affordable processor now.

What I bought.

AMD A64 3500 VENICE S939 OEM
    ASUS A8N -SLI PREMIUM
    HIS X800 IceQ II Turbo - graphics adapter - RADEON X800 - 256 MB (would have bought ati crossfire mobo but none out at the time)

I also did the same with SLI graphics. Bought a board that could software switch Nvidia SLI, but only bought one fast graphics card.

Then when 7800's are cheaper buy two of those bad boys and flog my old card. (if my 360/ps3 hasn't made my PC redundant by then!)

8. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    yeah i'm really aint sure about one, but like i said i need a new processor and the one i wanted which was a 4000+ (i think) clocked in at 2.4ghz and was only a few £ cheaper than the 3800+ 2.0ghz which is dual core which is the other one i want.

will the fact that one is 1mb and one is 512kb and the 400mhz less make any difference at all

EDIT: Just saw your post, thats a good idea getting a faster single core now and when games actually start using dual core i'll get one for less ££££ like u said.

9. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

That's just what I was going to reply! :D

4000 now, then dual core later. You should still be able to sell your 4000 for good cash to fund your dual core purchase later on.

EDIT -

Again it's the same with graphics card. The 6800gts are quick, and dual is very quick for shear frame rate.

But If your looking at top graphics quality and enabling features on direct x 9 like Shader 3.0 then even dual 6800 gts get their booty kicked by a single 7800. Dual gts simply can't run the new top shader and effects in dx9 at any decent speed according to test I;ve seen in extreme pc running Splinter Cell Pandoras Box in shader 3.

I would get a fast 6800 gt/xt now, then upgrade to 7800 when the price has dropped, then dual 7800 later on. It's what I'm looking at anyway.

Plenty of upgrade potential and your not going to break the bank in the short term doing it.

10. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    is windows xp 64bit out yet?

11. fathazza

fathazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    it is out and has been for a while but pretty much useless as hardly anyone released drivers for it, and im not even sure that MS still support it...

Everyone is awaiting the next windows os codenamed vista i think

12. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    right decided on the 7800gt (one for now, one maybe come christmas time :thumbsup: ) processor wise gonna go with a single core for now and sell it and get a dual core when they actually become really useful in a game. Only thing now is i'm gonna get a 2.2ghz processor but do i want 512kb or 1mb of cache. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes having one or the other. Main feature of course is gaming besides that i'm just gonna be web browsing and the occasional cd/dvd burn virus/spyware scan

13. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
  14. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    damn the no-vat included saw £199.95 and was like woooooooo, still its cheaper, thanx for the site

15. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What;s the price differance? If they there the same core and theres not too much differential the extra cache will make a differance.

I'm guessing it's quite a bit more expensive ,as on chip cache is what pushes up the transitor count and hence the price.

There are limited gains though , so you may only see 5-10% improvement from 512 to 1mb of cache, except for high data load apps (like server apps).

looking at misco for prices.

AMD ATHLON 64 3500+RETAIL BOX 939PIN CPU
    £158.63 inc VAT

AMD ATHLON 64 3800
    £251.04

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ (PIB) 939PIN CPU
    £270.25 inc VAT

Thats a lot more , maybe 40% more in price.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/athlon64-fx55/index.x?pg=7

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is it worth the extra. I don't think so. Buy the 3500, then wait 6 months and get dual core.

Good choice on the card. Try Splinter Cell with shader 3.

16. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    yeah the 3500+ is the one i was thinking of, thats the 512kb. the 1mb one is around £30 more on most sites and is the 3700+

17. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's what I'm running for the same reason. Very fast, got BF2 in max settings at 1280*768.

A good mobo and overlclock will give the extra speed that another £200 on a processor will do.

18. mdhome

mdhome
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I just recently used a dual-core amd4200 box with a single gt7800. It was able to smoothly play doom3, HL2, Fear and Quake4 with resolutions ranging from 1600*1200 to 1900*1280 with medium to high details (no AA).

19. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice. Still it's probably only using one core for that. Maybe Quake 4 is mutlthreaded?

EDIT---

In fact I am sure that quake 4 and unreal 3 engines can utilise multiple CPUS as they are shipped with PS3 and 360 which are of course multi core.

20. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I wouldnt bother quoting 3dmark scores to copare cpu performance mate. its a graphics card-bound benchmark.

If you want some useless stats, here's my 3200 venice a64 and my £150 x800gto2, scoring just a tad over 6400.....

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1342189

Highest i've scored is just over 6600 but pushing my mothboard that hard knocks my onboard NIC out, and i couldnt upload the score:p

21. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    just found out my new motherboard needs a 24pin EATX plug, where the hell do i get a psu with one off those i cant find any?

22. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right, it also says that in the test, I just put in both for comparison and to show the differant graphics cards. I couldn't be bothered to include all the other text as it was in the test.

I'll have to run a benchmark on my htpc.

23. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    I wouldn't go single core anymore. Best bang for buck is x2 3800. £225ish gets u a cpu that can surpass x2 4800 levels on water.

Ok, it has 512 cache instead of 1mb, but that is not noticeable in games.

However if you are dead set on 3500, I happen to have one for sale, was/is with a mobo but if your interested I'm sure we can work summat out :D PM me if your interested.

24. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's cause you have hardcore setup. :smashin:

25. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Lol.... seriously tho, they run just as fast as current single cores, and are future proofed for when games are coded for dual core. It opens other things like playing a game and burning a cd/zipping/etc at the same time....easily done on dual core with no performance issue on games, whereas with a single core they would have to be done one after another.

Makes life easier, and faster :)

26. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    yes and they're also a lot more expensive.

27. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Not really. An x2 3800 is around £230 brand new. A single core 3800 is about £20 less....now unless £20 is alot of money in your book it's a no brainer.

But when the same cpu, slightly overclocked is making an FX chip look crap, which incidentally costs about £500, then things are made even more obvious.

28. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    you cant compare the two even if the pr numbers are the same.

the x2 3800+ is a dual 2ghz cpu.
    the a64 3800+ is a 2.4ghz single core.

One is faster all round in windows, the other is much faster in games. Horses for courses indeed, it depends on the application.

The a64 3200+ is a singel 2ghz core, and depends on what your doing with it may be just as good, in which case were talking £90 new, not £230.

even my £90 3200+ can do that, albeit single core;)

29. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Disagree. the x2 3800 can overclock like a mofo. Even on air it can get near 2.4, then for the £20 difference what would you prefer?......and you can't compare a 3200 to an x2 3800, the only similarity they have is the stock mhz level. Yes the 3200 is also a very good overclocker, but put them to the test the the x2 will crush it......Put it this way, you ever played a game full settings and when you've stopped, windows is laggy as hell and your pc seems to take a bit to recover? With dual core that is none existant. It's little things like that.

At the end of the day games will, and have probably already been started being coded to take advantage of dual core. Then the differences will be even bigger. Not only in games but in all round pc usage.

All IMO, but I don't see the point in ppl looking at buying a new system to play games at the highest level and spending say, £200 on a gfx card to then skimp on a cpu. Get a cpu for £90 that you'll use for a few months, then have to sell and then buy dual core. Or spend on a more future proof cpu that u could keep a lot longer. Probably spend the same amount both ways, just going dual core now, u have the faster pc. Seems obvious to me.

:D

30. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    like i said, my 3200 venice get and passes 2.5ghz on air which is the norm. why are you comparing an overclocked 3800 x2 to a stock 3200?

You can also overclock a 3800 you know. then we're talking 2.7ghz;) again, horses for courses.

Because right now, my cpu is faster than a 3800 x2 in games. That's what important to me atm, since performance in all over area's is still more than acceptable. When it comes to upgrading my cpu, ill spend another £100 and get something faster still which will again keep me on the right side of that curve, and at the end of it, i still would have spent less on my cpu(s)

:)

That doesnt honestly bother me. i dont mind waiting 10 seconds for the swap file to catch up if it means saving £200 :thumbsup: Now dont get me wrong, multiple cores are the way to go, but right now.....the pro's dont outweight the cons for me. Gaming is what takes all the power for me, and right now i can do the same with my winchester than you can with your x2. When times change and dual cores are taken advantage of with regards to gaming, then ill be looking at dual cores:)

By that time though, that would be much cheaper anyway :cool: