Dual format owner disappointed in BD

cj

For those of you who don't frequent the AVS forum, here's an interesting post from a dual format owner, who has a pretty good (;)) setup: HD-DVD player and PS3 via Lumagen HDQ into Sony Ruby.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=777024

Having invested in a PS3 and 17 Blur-Ray movies to try out BD, he doesn't appear to be trolling: -

BangoO said:
Hello,

So... I have a Sony Ruby on a 100" screen, a Lumagen HDQ to output 1080p48 to the Ruby, a Toshiba HD-A1, and a PS3.
I have the Toshiba HD-A1 since months now, and I have watched something like 50 movies. I have been very impressed by some of them, such as King Kong, MI3, etc.

I recently bought a PS3 (firmware 1.32, configured in 1080i60 in HDMI YPb/Cb Pr/Cr, connected to the HDQ to output 1080p48) and 17 movies, and I tested some of the Tier 0 and Tier 1 ones, and have not been impressed at all.
X3 is very good, but still not as sharp as King Kong or MI3.
Ice Age 2 is very soft.
KOH is a bit soft and not very impressive.
BHD, same as KOH.
LXG is sometimes sharp, but most of the time a bit soft.
Pearl Harbour is quite sharp, but still no King Kong or MI3.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
For those of you who don't frequent the AVS forum, here's an interesting post from a dual format owner, who has a pretty good (;)) setup

Having invested in a PS3 and 17 Blur-Ray movies to try out BD, he doesn't appear to be trolling: -
Pretty much what the rest of us dual format owners have been saying for awhile ;)

Will A Newbie Be Impressed By BluRay?

Dave2

Dam a sony Ruby... I wonder if he will swap for 3 hd-dvds and £10 :D :D

SAH

Banned
Sorry, but there are far more duel format owners who believe theres zero difference between either formats, given good quality titles, than those all too predictable rants about how 'poor' BR is etc.

KOH and Ice Age 2 are spectacular while Pearl Harbour is being touted as the best title on either format, I wonder why those comments have not been linked over here, lol!

Look, I could understand someone saying KOH is not QUITE as good as King Kong, but to suggest it's 'a bit soft and not very impressive' is laugable!

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Sorry, but there are far more duel format owners who believe theres zero difference between either formats, given good quality titles, than those all too predictable rants about how 'poor' BR is etc.
I disagree - have a look at the thread I linked to ;)

BadAss

Banned
Heres a thread from AVS which suggests KK in not much better than DVD.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=776974

Heres someone not happy with the HD-DVD 2007 line up.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=776185

Heres some one whos returning there HD-A2 to go Blu-Ray.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=776311

I could go on but its pointless. Its better to choose the films you want, the best player you can afford and sit back and enjoy the HD experience.

I'll be sitting down to watch Pearl Harbour tonight but if the Hulk and King Kong floats your boat then HD-DVD may be a wise choice.

cj

Pearl Harbour is being touted as the best title on either format, I wonder why those comments have not been linked over here, lol!
Oh do you mean these comments: -

Is Pearl Harbour the best HD Title?

patrick99 said:
To answer your question: No. It's not.
or

TWISTED BULLET said:
You didn't see the artifacting then? There's blocking in the sky throughout the entire movie. In my opinion it doesn't even come close to the best HD title, and certainly doesn't touch king kong on HD DVD.
HiDefDigest gave BD Pearl Harbour 4 out of 5 for video quality - King Kong and Hulk HD-DVD both got 5 out of 5 for video.

Anyway I've seen neither so I'm unable to comment personally.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Heres a thread from AVS which suggests KK in not much better than DVD.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=776974

Heres someone not happy with the HD-DVD 2007 line up.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=776185

Heres some one whos returning there HD-A2 to go Blu-Ray.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=776311
Not quite sure wat any of that has to do with the subject matter? Other than the fact BluRay is taking (another) beating and you're trying to flak deflect :)

Its better to choose the films you want, the best player you can afford and sit back and enjoy the HD experience.
I quite agree. Thankfully, as a dual owner, I can sit back and watch any film in high def :clap:

Back to topic...as a dual owner I am yet to see any BluRay that blows me away. Some are very good - but none have made me simply drop my jaw in awe as, for example, the picture and sound of V for Vendetta have. But that's just me...I'm a movie fan not a format fan.

SAH

Banned
I disagree - have a look at the thread I linked to ;)
Evrythings not rosy in the Blu-Ray gardern admitedly.:D

However, I do check out AVS regularly, and recently there have been far more Blu-ray titles that have matched the tier 1 HD-DVD's, there appears to be a consensus both format are now delivering great PQ.

On the HD-DVD side the best titles still pack a punch but there is constant grumbling about the lack of AAA titles, little marketing, player shortages, player glitches etc. yet few if any of these reports are posted over here.

I guess it will be 6 months down the line when reality dawns, as it's begining to do in the US.

BadAss

Banned
Not quite sure wat any of that has to do with the subject matter? Other than the fact BluRay is taking (another) beating and you're trying to flak deflect :)
My point is I could start several negative HD-DVD threads, but at the end of the day its poinless a bit like this thread.

Some are very good - but none have made me simply drop my jaw in awe as, for example, the picture and sound of V for Vendetta have. But that's just me...I'm a movie fan not a format fan.
But if I sit tight long enough I'll be getting V for V and BB on Blue-Ray in 2007and enjoy the same quality, no need to spend £400 for a few dodgy Universal titles. :smashin:

SAH

Banned
Oh do you mean these comments: -

Is Pearl Harbour the best HD Title?

or

HiDefDigest gave BD Pearl Harbour 4 out of 5 for video quality - King Kong and Hulk HD-DVD both got 5 out of 5 for video.

Anyway I've seen neither so I'm unable to comment personally.
'I watched the entire attack sequence and a few selected scense (the opening childhood in the plane, the followup chicken sequence, and some of the closing scenes) on my SXRD, and there is not a shred of artifacting. Anyone seeing that has problems with their displays or setups. Same with people seeing banding in Ice Age:Meltdown.

Sorry, but it's getting old to see people claiming BD disks have artifacts that just aren't there. '

'Having seen both Hulk and Transporter 2, it is close, but Transport 2 does beat it out for both PQ and AQ. Hulk is good though. To me Hulk is about like Tears of the Sun on Blu-ray. I saw a bit of artifacting in the action sequences with Hulk, whereas I saw absolutely none on Transporter 2.'

'I think that those that own both formats that are seeing glaring differences between the formats may want to have their ISF guy back to check things out (if they used one in the first place). The differences are so minimal they are impossible to enumerate. Both look fantastic on my 1080P set up and ISF calibrated Qualia - on the whole, one format is no better than the other in terms of PQ. '

I watched Tears of the Sun, KOH and Ice Age 2 the other night, all three are every bit as as good as V for Vendetta and Tokyo Drift.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
My point is I could start several negative HD-DVD threads, but at the end of the day its poinless a bit like this thread.
99% of the threads on here are pointless - including many of the negative HD DVD ones you do start - but ultimately we all rise to respond to each thread. Saying it's pointless is petty IMHO.

But if I sit tight long enough I'll be getting V for V and BB on Blue-Ray in 2007 and enjoy the same quality, no need to spend £400 for a few dodgy Universal titles. :smashin:
Good for you - I think the odds of our Samsung getting a Dolby TrueHD upgrade not to mention Warner actually giving the BD version a lossless sountrack - are slim to non-existant. That scene just won't be the same unless you have the lossless soundtrack to accompany it :oops:

cj

But if I sit tight long enough I'll be getting V for V and BB on Blue-Ray in 2007and enjoy the same quality, no need to spend £400 for a few dodgy Universal titles. :smashin:
Providing they're released with the correct region for your Blur-Ray player of course ;)

SAH said:
recently there have been far more Blu-ray titles that have matched the tier 1 HD-DVD's
And therein lies BD's inherent problem - always trying to "match" HD-DVD...

JamesL

Novice Member
Agree with Raszcak; I have owned a Toshiba AX1 since June, and recently got myself a Sony BDP1. Both are fantastic and the Sony is the better player; it's faster, responsive and looks great. But the Tosh HD-DVD is the better for picture quality. I've got 12 BR releases and not one matches the best of HD-DVD. KOH is certainly no match for King Kong. BR looks very good, HD looks great.

NB: Posted this earlier but the forum seemed to be having problems.

kourosh

Distinguished Member
why do people keep posting these usless info about my player is better than yours:mad:

why cant they just leave people to enjoy what format they have:(

its like blimmin school children "mine is better than yours" i would expect my 10year old daughter to go on the way some people do on here.
for god's sake people just grow up and enjoy what you have:smashin:

SAH

Banned
And therein lies BD's inherent problem - always trying to "match" HD-DVD...

Forgive me, but whats the problem?

HD-DVD came out of the blocks flying and set the benchmark.

Now, at last, the best Blu-Ray titles match the best HD-DVD titles.

I paid £80 less for my Blu-Ray player than my A1, have a greater range of titles that I personally am interested in available to me, and can still look forward to the likes of V and Batman Begins coming to Blu-Ray.

I have every confidence Blu-Ray will suit my needs, if others are happy with HD-DVD, great, let's see what the next few months brings.

andythescientis

This thread might be pointless to you, as you've already made your mind up that BD is for you.

To many of us we have not made our minds up yet, and i found the comparision interesting in the thread. I suspect it's more to do with the PS3 not being as hot a player as everyone though at first inspection. This guy has spent a fortune on his kit and bought a tonne a disks and he's giving his honest opinion. I find that useful, when taken along side the comments of a number of member who have both (unlike yourself) who's views seem to mirror the OPs thoughts. Some of us are dying to get into the new formats but don't want to make the wrong choice and for us these threads are useful.

SAH

Banned
If you don't mind me askink how how much did you pay ?

AVI

£330 for a US Samsung.

Check US sellers, I bought mine from ebay, latest firmware etc.

No way am I paying £600+ for a UK model.

It's strange how attractive the Blu-Ray catalogue is when you finally discover a player within your price range, lol.

Spoonhead

This thread might be pointless to you, as you've already made your mind up that BD is for you.

To many of us we have not made our minds up yet, and i found the comparision interesting in the thread. I suspect it's more to do with the PS3 not being as hot a player as everyone though at first inspection. This guy has spent a fortune on his kit and bought a tonne a disks and he's giving his honest opinion. I find that useful, when taken along side the comments of a number of member who have both (unlike yourself) who's views seem to mirror the OPs thoughts. Some of us are dying to get into the new formats but don't want to make the wrong choice and for us these threads are useful.
Exactly, without this forum, I would never have bought (or even know about) a HD-A1 from the states. "Discussion" threads can be just as helpful as the "info" ones IMO. Sometimes though the line between them gets a bit blurred :D

Gazza

SAH

Banned

There are also many threads from users that see no difference, with equally impressive set-ups, but these threads are not liked over here.

Many believe the PS3 is the best player, others say there's little difference between the lot, it's personal opinion.

I'd just ask you to check out the AVS HD-DVD sections, most praise HD-DVD, but many shortcomings of the format are openly discusssed rather than ignored or glossed over.

Personally I stick with High Def Digest for software reviews, they were very harsh on Blu-Ray to begin with, so if they give good marks I respect it.

BadAss

Banned

I guess I've got different priorities too others. Priority number one for me is choice. Having the widest choice of movies in HD is more important to me than having one or two movies with the best PQ. Of course I'd like the best PQ available but if it means not seeing 4 out of 10 movies released on HD then you can keep your Hulks and King Kongs. In six months I've never once thought I've picked the wrong format.

When we all had DVD's we bought the films regardless of PQ/AQ. I don't see whats so different now. Film first, PQ/AQ second.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
There are also many threads from users that see no difference, with equally impressive set-ups.
And many that do - undoubtably the difference is in the quality of people's kit. Certainly when I'm watching on my Plasma then the differences are harder to spot - put it on a projector though and some of the differences can be :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published