Dual Format HD Players

thelawns

Established Member

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
Denon are rumoured to be working on one... but then I guess all major manufacturers will have one in the pipe lines.. Until we actually have them on the shelves it's all pure speculation. :(

meltonboy

Prominent Member
Although not in the industry, i have been keeping an eye on this, and to my knowledge the LG and Samsung are the only confirmed dual format units.

If you keep an eye on the front page of AV forums, news is quick to be published there. Otherwise i tend to monitor these 2 sites for news:

http://avzombie.com/blog/
http://www.hdtvuk.tv/

New players are big news, so it they will be published.

In terms of 'forthcoming' units, that would be speculation...

thelawns

Established Member
Yeah, I didn't mean 'forthcoming', I meant actually in the pipeline as the LG and Samsung are... :thumbsup:

Rasczak

Outstanding Member
Yeah, I didn't mean 'forthcoming', I meant actually in the pipeline as the LG and Samsung are... :thumbsup:
We may see some announcements at CES in January - or at least get a clearer idea who is positioning themselves for dual format support. My guess would be the high end brands first: Denon, Pioneer, Arcam, Onkyo etc. Although for some it may be a little early for annoucements. As for mass market brands I would suspect Hitachi and Liteon are top candidates.

ripclaw

Established Member
There was a hint from NAD that they are working on a universal HD player.

This was a thread appearing on the Aussie DTV Forums by a guy who attended a NAD product launch. I am a NAD fan, so this is indeed good news. I only hope that they bring this player to market soon. I don't want to decide between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. I am quite interested in both.

Jas H

Established Member
I am looking forward to buying a dual format HD player BUT will ONLY buy one when one is released that is totally multi-region for DVDs as well as HD/BD discs.

ani4ani

Prominent Member
I am looking forward to buying a dual format HD player BUT will ONLY buy one when one is released that is totally multi-region for DVDs as well as HD/BD discs.

I doubt you will be buying one anytime soon!

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
I doubt you will be buying one anytime soon!

true, but im taking the same stance as him.

might aswell buy a pc tho as blu-ray internal drives are only £130! :eek:

when the hell did this happen?

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
br play only drives are under the £200 barrier, altho iirc you still need to buy BR software to watch films....the ones i've seen dont come with it in the drive box......BR recording is still prohibitively expensive :(

jakey

Established Member
I built myself a HCPC with internal HD DVD and Blu-ray drives, so my dual format player is here and now with non of the restrictions that you guys seem bothered about

• Multi-region SD DVD and Blu-ray playback.
  • Rip your SD and HD discs to HDD if you like.
  • Plus you can play all your downloaded stuff.
  • Store and playback your music collection on it.

I have mine connected by HDMI to my Sony 55" SXRD and the picture is stunning from HD, does a great job of upscaling SD too. All this fully and as easily controllable as a normal player with the iMon remote.

Not the solution I suppose for the feint hearted as this is cutting edge stuff for the PC also, but well worth the effort if you're happy do some tinkering.

Overall I'm over the moon with my multi-format player :)

If you're interested in taking this route it's worth a visit to the computer section of the board where quite a few of us have built sytems now.

ani4ani

Prominent Member
It is the best way to go in my view....

Mine is semi-built, still waiting for my Pioneer BD drive to come from Overclockers. [it may well have done, but I am abroad at the moment]. Are you using PowerDVD Ultra?

I understand that there is a retail version of the Pioneer drive with software, but I haven't been able to find it yet.

booth1976

Established Member
I built myself a HCPC with internal HD DVD and Blu-ray drives, so my dual format player is here and now with non of the restrictions that you guys seem bothered about

I have mine connected by HDMI to my Sony 55" SXRD and the picture is stunning from HD, does a great job of upscaling SD too. All this fully and as easily controllable as a normal player with the iMon remote.

Not the solution I suppose for the feint hearted as this is cutting edge stuff for the PC also, but well worth the effort if you're happy do some tinkering.

If you're interested in taking this route it's worth a visit to the computer section of the board where quite a few of us have built sytems now.

I doubt I'll go down this route but it's interesting stuff. Thanks :)

alpha10

Prominent Member

I'm totally with you on this Dubious, I bought the cheap Pioneer Blurry drive and have the Xbox addon for HD-DVD, so just over £200 plus PowerDVD Ultra and I'm completely format neutral, I don't think that is too bad at all.

I am just waiting now for someone to hopefully bring out a Gfx card with full HDMI 1.3a compatability so I can run the HD sounds to the amp.

Cheers

thelawns

Established Member
On the subject of Multi Format for PC's, then I guess the new LG drive, that is the same drive in the Dual Format player mentioned in my first post would be a good purchase!

LG Super Multi Blue Bd Rewriter GGW-H10N

Keeps things a bit neater inside the PC doesn't it??

:rolleyes:

alpha10

Prominent Member
On the subject of Multi Format for PC's, then I guess the new LG drive, that is the same drive in the Dual Format player mentioned in my first post would be a good purchase!

LG Super Multi Blue Bd Rewriter GGW-H10N

Keeps things a bit neater inside the PC doesn't it??

:rolleyes:

It depends on how deep your pockets are and whether you need to be able to right to Blu-ray or not. If you just want play back of both HD-DVD and Blu-ray then for £250 you can buy both the two readers, it only takes up two drive slots, most PCs should have that.

Cheers

MikeK

Prominent Member
I agree - >£200 extra seems a high price to pay just for the ability to write BD-R/BD-RE, expecially when you look at the cost of the blanks :eek:

The single drive would be good for SFF HTPCs though!

Docta teef

Established Member
I ve been toying with the idea of a dual format htpc for a month or two but two things have been putting me off the lack of an hdmi 1.3 gfx card but also the ability of an htpc to decode the new hd sound formats. Does any software/soundcard exist to decode these. Ideally i would be looking to do this to 7.1 analogue to save having to buy a new amp.

Ned Senior

Prominent Member
carrying on with the pc drive thoughts, I wonder how long will it be before you can buy a pc off the shelf from the likes of compaq etc who have bomb tested the components to just work together no hassle which has a dual format drive even if it is only a player... I would take one when it is time to put my machine to sleep ( never been one for home or backstreet shop built computers, the three I have had have always failed often)

adspence

Established Member
Yes I am, it works very well, I did buy it seperately but worth the money IMO.

I use Zoom Player for SD DVD and all other file formats.

Unfortunately PowerDVD Ultra only works (for HD/BD) on the primary monitor. Something that won't work for me as the HTC also doubles as the lounge PC, with the primary monitor a 24" LCD. Cyberlink say that their R&D dept are working on an upgrade...but I will have to keep my $99 in my pocket. Thankfully I found this out before I'd purchased the product.

Docta teef

Established Member
carrying on with the pc drive thoughts, I wonder how long will it be before you can buy a pc off the shelf from the likes of compaq etc who have bomb tested the components to just work together no hassle which has a dual format drive even if it is only a player... I would take one when it is time to put my machine to sleep ( never been one for home or backstreet shop built computers, the three I have had have always failed often)

Id have thought it would be some time before a computer company got their head round the concept. Ive noticed overtime that in the media if you read mags like HCC when a Htpc comes up they will tell you its got some kind of gfx card and its got a hard drive and runs media center or vista with a tv card thats single/dual tuner but they make little mention of advanced video formats. Conversely if you read custom pc you get a detailed report on what the hardware is but little detail as to how well it would function in a home cinema setup. I really feel that unless your into av and pc's in a big way and can do it yourself a multiformat pc that ticks all the boxes is going to be unobtainable for a long time.

Ned Senior

Prominent Member
Id have thought it would be some time before a computer company got their head round the concept. Ive noticed overtime that in the media if you read mags like HCC when a Htpc comes up they will tell you its got some kind of gfx card and its got a hard drive and runs media center or vista with a tv card thats single/dual tuner but they make little mention of advanced video formats. Conversely if you read custom pc you get a detailed report on what the hardware is but little detail as to how well it would function in a home cinema setup. I really feel that unless your into av and pc's in a big way and can do it yourself a multiformat pc that ticks all the boxes is going to be unobtainable for a long time.

Cheers Doc :D
Hopefully my machine will last that long as I want a new amp and livingroom BD player first am thinking us ps3 lost in thought over the amp tho'

Cyprio

Prominent Member
I have my PS3 for Bluray duties, and will shortly be buying a Toshiba Quosmio Laptop with built in HD DVD Drive, this will serve as a Media Center PC when at home, plus be used as a notebook when away from home. This way i have all three bases covered. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Amazon Fire TV Cube Gen 3 Review: Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom