DUAL DVD recorder at ASDA

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by moghm, Jun 24, 2005.

1. moghm

moghm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,

I am trying to find a review for a DVD reorder on sale at asda for £99

Has anyone heard about these ? The make is DUAL

I do hear that DUAL is quite a good company

many thanks

2. CheekyKid

CheekyKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I would be very skeptic in buying something from ASDA.

3. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took the plunge and bought one after seeing them yesterday and not able to find anything about the units. Feeling that if it's dire it just goes back.

So whats in the box
    Full Width DVD Recorder in a silver finish with a black fascia. DVRw1 produced exclusively for Asda - helpline number on back of manual is 08453007775.
    Manual
    Scart Lead
    Aerial Lead
    Remote Control
    2*AAA Batteries for remote
    1*DVD+R blank disc

Main Unit
    Draw is on the left, controls in the middle and display on the right.
    Front flap drops down ( plastic possible to break over time I think ) to reveal S-Video and Composite inputs as well as Left/Right audio phono connectors.

On the back
    Aerial in/out ( for terristrial tuner )
    SCART In ( RGB Enabled )
    SCART Out ( RGB Enabled )
    Audio L/R Phono Out
    S-Video Out
    CVBS Out
    Digital Audio Optical and Coaxial connectors.

Power button glows blue when its on.
    Display is green.
    Unit uses DVD+R/RW discs

Multi region out of the box - Tested with Region 0 disc, Then R1 RCE disc , then R2 disc and all played without issue.

Recording modes
    60, 120, 180, 240, 360 ( 1, 2, 3, 4, 6hrs )
    I did a short test recording in all 5 from a recording on Tivo using the front CVBS input so should be bad case for initial quality.
    60 min - No issues , pixelation etc not noticed.
    120 min - No real issues, you have to look hard to see any blocking at any time.
    180 min - Blocking starts to appear but nothing drastic certainly useable for most of the time
    240 Mins - started to notice the blocking without looking for it.
    360 Mins - still watchable but any fast transistion you notice the blocks.

Asked wife who didn't know what to expect and she didn't notice any difference between the 60/120/180 levels but commented that the 240 and 360 were a bit grainy but still watchable.

Units plays MP3, JPG, SVCD, CD and MPEG discs as well.

Overall it seems like a good unit for the price. First unit so nothing to compare against, but from horror stories read this doesn't appear to be a problem.

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As with all DVD+ models there is no variable bit rate/flexible recording and no fancy editing .But at £99 who can complain?
    But the old adage "You get what you pay for" is usually true.However,if the machine performs all the functions you want then good luck

5. gtd2000

gtd2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll check out that model tomorrow - need to buy a replacement for the "Umada" recorder that is going back to Maxtv tomorrow.

Does it have Video Plus+ by any chance?

6. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    lol I bet the drive is 10x better the the POS in the Tosh 32 aswell :rotfl: :rolleyes: :(

7. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No , just basic timer.

Andy

8. KDH

KDH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. gtd2000

gtd2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I picked up the player today and setup was pretty easy.

Build quality is very light to say the least and I'd be quite honest to say it is the cheapest feeling remote to date ;)

So far I've noticed some problems:
    When choosing SCART input from VCR all I get is a blank (black) screen and audio - no video signal. If I turn of the DVD Recorder (the vcr is daisy-chained through it) I get the signal. For some reason the DVD Recorder is cutting or blocking the video when powered up?

Menu takes an age to show up - screen stays blank for a good 30-60 secs.

The manual mentions MPEG4 640x480 (Page 50, 7. Specifications) but the player locked up when I insterted a Divx movie - even the power switch would nto turn it off.

The menu screens are almost identical to the Umada900 recorder which was returned this morning. The Umada although not well presented in the on-screen menu department appeared to be of a higher grade than this player.

The only player that had really been user friendly and simple to operate (without quirks) has been the 4Kus from Asda so far.

I assume I'm going back to Asda tomorrow to get a replacement unless anybody has any idea why I get the blank screen when trying to record from the VCR player via SCART?

10. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks nothing like the Walmart product.

Will change wiring on mine later and advise on pass-thru or not.

11. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unit has two Powersave modes, On and Off. Out of the box it is OFF. RGB loop through works fine then. If you turn Powersave on and other feature non mentioned in the manual is that the AV-2 Scart socket doesn't loop through.

Used Freeview box and changed settings from CVBS to RGB and back with it in Standby and can see the difference on screen to prove the RGB was working.

Andy

12. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After checking the RGB passthru I thought I'd see if I could check out your VCR issue.

Connected Sony SLV-SE820 TV out to the SCART-2 on the DVD Recorder. Recorder left in SCART RGB mode.
    In standby mode picture comes through fine from VCR, tuner or tape. Tried a few commerical tapes inc Disney stuff so should have tripped any Macrovision type issues I'd of thought.

Turn on the DVR unit and change source to Scart RGB and on the banner it has (Macrovision) and there is sound but no picture. Stop the tape and still no picture. Into setup and and change the AV-2 setup to SCART CVBS and Tuner picture is shown. Still states (Macrovision) on the display banner.
    Try to record and states 'Paused Copy Protection'

Replaced standard Scart lead with a projector friendly type cable (Mac Buster) , and repeated the above process. No change except the record could now take place .

So it seems rather strange, but do any VCR units output anything but CVBS on the Scart sockets so possibly not an issue.....??

Hope that helps somewhat and probably confirms that your unit isn't faulty, its a design feature/fault/issue of some form.

Andy

13. LynseyFTM

LynseyFTM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purhased one of these recorders - never owned one before.

I got everything set up and working except for my freeview.

I have the freeview connected via a scart lead - when I go into set up and try to view through the Scart RGB option the sound is there but no picture. I then tried changing the setting to SCART CVBS (think thats right) the sound the the picture appear but the picture has red and green lines running through it - what am I doing wrong?

As I said I am a complete novice - and was recommended to this website via a friend. :lease: help.

14. gtd2000

gtd2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LynseyFTM
    Does that sound familair then?

15. gtd2000

gtd2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi AndyFox - I've been on the phone to the helpline and not had the returned call from the technician yet (been 2 hours now at least).

What you replicated is exactly the problem that I have experienced and also the same for LynseyFTM by the "sound" of it :D

I'm just transferring some of my old VHS-C tapes to DVD which has been performed very easily with the 4Kus & Umada DVD Recorders without any macrovision protection.

I assume that it is a faulty "macrovision" type protection issue at fault here.
    I assume that the "projector friendly type cable" is one that removes the macrovision signal or suchlike? (I'm not up to speed on these SCART cables as I've not lived in the UK for 10 years).

I'll get on the phone to Asda again and see what the score is :rolleyes:

16. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had it setup that way last night to test the RGB passthru. I have a Bush DFTA7 setto RGB and that all appeared to work fine in both Standby and Recording mode. I can't be 100% sure as I didn't do a recording to keep for my memory proof so I'll retest tonight to confirm if I get any of the symptoms.

For you I'd check your freeview box is set to RGB and you have the cable plugged firmly in etc, as the problem sounds like the one gtd2000 was having with his VCR which I suspect doesn't output RGB on it's SCART.

Andy

17. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully this reply is a bit quicker then :)
    Yeah the cable suppresses the Macrovision signal so units can be connected to devices which misbehave when they see the signal.
    The specs show the DUAL recorder uses Macrovision 7.1.
    As you say it seems to be a faulty implementation at some point, as the cables must be wired correctly for the RGB passthru to work. Only a problem when in Power On mode.

Why did the 4Kus unit go back then as that was the unit I wanted but sold out by the time I found out about them, then these Dual units turned up - wasn't going for the Goodmans X-Pro units!

Andy

18. LynseyFTM

LynseyFTM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that does sound familiar. would there be any other way round this problem e.g. being able to set my freeview on an actual channel on the TV instead of through the AV??

19. LynseyFTM

LynseyFTM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy I will try that and see what happens.

20. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Taken the plundge and called technical about the issues and now awaiting the call back from technician. Told that should be before 4pm today.

Advisor seemed to think the unit was faulty and should be returned , will wait to see if technical agree of if another solution presents itself.

Andy

21. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only if your Freeview has a RF Modulataor built in. Many don't the pair of aerial sockets being for RF loop through rather than output of the Freeview picture.

Other alternative , if the box has 2 Scarts is to plumb one to the TV and one to the Recorder.

Or set the Scart-2 on the recorder to SCART-CVBS and see how that goes

Or return unit.

You can always ring the techical line - 0845 300 7775 - and describe the problem to them and see if you get a solution. I'd personally press on for a technician to speak to you - requires them to call you back, as I don't think teh advisors are upto speed on this model yet.

Andy

22. gtd2000

gtd2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK problem solved - went into the setup and changed the setting from RGB to CVBS and bingo the audio and video playback is working - now tranferring my old Hong Kong and China tapes to DVD as I type :)

I'm still not 100% about this machine as it does feel very cheap by comparison to the others.

The 4Kus was returned after recording Top Gear the other week and then attempting to view the recording the following morning over breakfast - all the machine did was display HELLO and nothing else would function (eject buttons useless etc).

I tried powering it off (for hours) and on all day long and it was stuck in the HELLO mode :(

Took the unit back to Asda and got a refund due to seeing the divx & recorder combo over at maxtv which supposedly also had Video Plus+ (which it didn't).
    (http://www.max.tv/product.asp?prodID=461)

The 4kus has been the only unit that I've actually considered to be a well designed and excecuted product so far.
    It is a pity that there were no more in stock as I'd take that over the Dual too.

23. gtd2000

gtd2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something that I noticed that happens with the Dual & Umada recorders is that (not the 4kus) when I finish a recording and review the clip via the menu I cannot put another title onto the disk even although there is more time/space available.

I've not yet figured out if this is a compatibility problem or not but it is weird strange.

It keeps telling me that the disk is not compatible and needs to be formatted. This is just after stopping the disk?

Any ideas?

No call from Tech Support yet btw....

24. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did my firsts tests on Philips DVD+RW discs. Each test at differing qualities and was able to playback each one and then add to the disc without issue.
    All this on the DUAL. Never did a 'Make Compatible' as no intention of using the disc elsewhere. That I THINK stops you recording to the disc as well.

Next batch was to archive some childrens epsides from the TIVO onto DVD+R discs. This is a MIRROR x4 disc.
    Recorded a couple of episodes and then played back to check they work/look ok.
    Then added couple more episodes.
    Then turned off machien and ejected disc. Some more to get recorded tonight but not expecting a problem doing that - hope not anyway.
    One the disc is near full I'll be doing the 'Finalise Disc' option so it will work in other players. This essentially turns the DVD+R into a DVD as far as the otehr players are concerned and no more recording can be done to it.

Well thats as I understand it - maybe helpded explain your problem.

Oh and no call here either....

Andy

25. gtd2000

gtd2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy,
    I'm about 2.5 hours into an "LP" quality DVD+RW transfer of old holiday VHS-C tapes right now.

I had to start again and just make the disc a continuous clip as each time I stop the DVD then choose the source as the SCART it just tells me that the disk is not compatible and must be formatted to continue etc :(

What I do (so far anyway) is record all my clips to DVDRW then do a disc copy via Nero (on the fly) which is then finalised and then re-use the DVDRW.

I've got 2 x silver tops, 1 x Maxell & 1 x Fuji disks (RW's) to test out but will need to wait another 30 mins or so to check it out again :)

It is quite a hoot to see some of these old tapes from 1993 thru 2001 and to see just how much I've aged!!! Sorry, "matured"....!!!!
    Back later.

26. gtd2000

gtd2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've been trying to do the "make compatible" function with Maxcell and a silver top but it does not give me the option to do this when it is a "blank" disc - I'm currently doing a 30 mins OTR of the TV to see if I can add subsequent recordings.

Back laterz.

27. KDH

KDH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No Dual recorders in my local ASDA today only the £119 Goodmans 301R and the £99 Cyberhome 1600

Going back to the RGB throughput...........does the DUAL recorder actually record the RGB signal as well as loop it through ?........the 4Kus was guilty of only recording in composite but DID throughput an RGB signal from a Freeview box to a TV

28. gtd2000

gtd2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also thought that the local Asda in Edinburgh did not have the Dual units in stock.

They were in a separate location in the store away from the main AV section.

It was just by chance that I noticed them.

29. gtd2000

gtd2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I figured out why I was having trouble adding new recordings to the DVDRW's after making a previous title on the disk.

With the 4kus recorder the unit automatically selected the empty portion of the disk when you chose to record - the Dual unit does not do this.

You need to select the empty portion and then tell it what you want to do.

All seems to be working fairly well now.

30. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Goodmans is meant to be a standard stock item according to one of the staff at our local. Thought the Cyberhome was brought in as short term replacement for the 4Kus special - maybe just stock left.

I believe the DUAL to be another special.

Back on the real detail - recording.
    It seems to have more bearing on the Scart setting in the Dual menu than the source settings.

Have Freeview box on source and in passthru I can change from RGB to CVBS and can see the change in picture on the TV.

Turn recorder on, Scart set to RGB.
    Freeview box on RGB and start a recording.
    Then go into the Freeview menu and change to CVBS and pciture stays sharp and menus clear etc.
    Change back to RGB and no obvious change in recording.

Then change SCART-2 on DUAL to CVBS and immediately pciture degrades, shifts and a touch brighter in places. start recording and repeat above changing Freeview from RGB to CVBS and back. again no noticeable change in picture - remains the bright not so crisp CVBS picture I'd expect.

Hence my comments that appears to be setup at recorder end controlled as well as the source. Also sort of follows from the Video recorder issues earlier, well in my mind anyway.

If there is a better way to determine , then please advise so I can do it the right way.

Regards,
    Andy