Dual DIY build

scartlead

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all, yes I know, another advise and build thread :) I’d looked at doing this before, but am now in a position to do it! I’d actually been originally looking at adding another monolith + and leave it there. I do keep an eye out in the diy section and am very curious as to what going this avenue can give you.

I’ll add some basis to start with.

Room is practically a square so 14 by 13 ft.
Use is 99% movies.
Space, reasonably compact box

I like the bass the mono gives me, though as is usual with peeps, you want more. Yes it’s ported, but want to keep things simple and go sealed.

I’ve modeled in Winisd a sealed boxed 20 inch cubed, giving roughly 120 litres, adding filler gives a .75 qtc from memory, with the driver being an ultimax 15. Btw symmetrical is better so this will be a dual build. :)

Dsp will be handled by a minidsp ( future purchase )

So that’s a little background, drivers. The Dayton’s seem to be very popular, but are there better? Max budget for a driver is £300. Less is better :)

Order is in with Gordy, though I need to confirm if there are any amendments to box size, so do have an option to change driver and box size for a day or so.

Power, I have two ep2500’s for that duty, so can bridge each one for that.

So, what do you all think? Hopefully covered all bases.

Add a 2nd mono + or go diy? I don’t listen at reference levels, but like a decent level. The room is a bat cave, so two black boxes would fit in well, though not as good as the ‘furniture’ piece the bk subs are.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Can do 18's yes, but want to keep box size to what I've suggested above, but am open to using 18's for my budget. Any suggestions for that size?

I built a clone of the Monolith. Quite straightforward to do using 22mm MDF from B&Q. Bought a relatively cheap driver from eBay for £50 that is the same spec as the BK original. Sounds great with the original and clone working together.

I did an 18" Sealed build using a 20.5" Cube plus feet underneath.

This was using a Dayton HO18 - produces some outstanding bass in my room. Only downside is the driver is above your budget at around £400 ish if you can stretch, but its a quite compact cabinet consider the BK XXLs400 is nearly a 16" cube

Can do 18's yes, but want to keep box size to what I've suggested above, but am open to using 18's for my budget.

By my calculations a 20" cube, allowing for both driver and bracing, will leave just under 100 litres which is quite small for many 18" drivers, so given the size of your room I think 15" is probably the better option.

By my calculations a 20" cube, allowing for both driver and bracing, will leave just under 100 litres which is quite small for many 18" drivers, so given the size of your room I think 15" is probably the better option.

For most 18s possibly, but that's why I chose the HO18 as it models quite well in a small cabinet and I definitely have no complaints with the way it sounds:

Cone Excursion:
View attachment 1086695

SPL:
View attachment 1086696

the BMS drivers will also do well in a 100L sealed box

Hi all.

Revisiting this ( same room) and am looking for a sanity check. I've been enjoying 2 BK's for a few years now, but its time to step up and that'll be it all being well, with this upgrade.

The cost of a pair of replacements , like the Monoprice 12's, may be a little of a sideways step, so lets say 1.5k as a budget to work with going DIY, including 2 drivers and boxes.

I like the look of PSA subs, never heard them, but alot of people say good things about them from what Ive read. but as this is a DIY build, I'm looking to build my own version. Small sealed box, with a high powered driver.

So sanity check time.

How would 2 B&C 15DS115 in a 17 ish inch sq box sound? Now asking how something sounds is probably not the right question to ask, but from a generalized pov, if its good enough for PSA, then its probably good for me too :) Would you agree?

If I pass that sanity check, I'll model them correctly in win isd, but I believe PSA are using this driver in their subs, so should be good for the DIY'er too?

I think the B&C is designed for ported, looking at the Qes, For small sealed cabinet 15" subs perhaps something like the BMS 15N630 or SB audience 150B350 might be better, if this a fuller range subwoofer, you want to go below 20Hz ? If so it might be one of the more long Xmax, heavier MMS drivers, which dig deep but are perhaps less tactile (The car audio style high SPL drivers)

I think its really hard to make the right choice with drivers, I'd like to have a go to add some 15" to run from 35-70 Hz so my criteria is different but a lot of drivers seem to be designed for ported this driver is interesting for a full range SB acoustic SB42FHCL75-6 option and seems to have a good balance of driver weight, Xmax and Fs

Hi all.

Revisiting this ( same room) and am looking for a sanity check. I've been enjoying 2 BK's for a few years now, but its time to step up and that'll be it all being well, with this upgrade.

The cost of a pair of replacements , like the Monoprice 12's, may be a little of a sideways step, so lets say 1.5k as a budget to work with going DIY, including 2 drivers and boxes.

I like the look of PSA subs, never heard them, but alot of people say good things about them from what Ive read. but as this is a DIY build, I'm looking to build my own version. Small sealed box, with a high powered driver.

So sanity check time.

How would 2 B&C 15DS115 in a 17 ish inch sq box sound? Now asking how something sounds is probably not the right question to ask, but from a generalized pov, if its good enough for PSA, then its probably good for me too :) Would you agree?

If I pass that sanity check, I'll model them correctly in win isd, but I believe PSA are using this driver in their subs, so should be good for the DIY'er too?

These should work excellently for this application, but for £100 more per driver you could have the BMS 18N862 with 19mm xmax and super high power handling.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom