1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual Disc?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Spooky, May 12, 2005.

1. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Are these a good recomendation? Curious if the DVD side has a *real* DVD-A Soundtrack or if its just 5.1 sound. Would like to hear John Mayer in high resolution.
    Just bought a Denon 2910 and wanna have a play ;) I got a SACD ( Peter Gabriel - So) to test the set up but wasnt totally blown away, so fancy trying out DVD-A or Dual disc next.
    Where is best to buy SACD, DVD-A and Dual disc (if there any good)
    Spooks

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I have ordered a few from amazon.com or you can get some from towerecords as well.

They are being released here this month but the list of titles was crap compared to whats already in the US.

matt

3. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a couple of problems with this format. Mainly them not being able to play in all players, them being a daft double sided disc (eww) and the resolution of longer albums being restricted by only being on DVD5. Double-disc is a far better solution IMHO

Now that aside, a fair number have a DVD-A soundtrack in somewhere between 24/48 and 24/96 quality. There are some though that just have stereo in LPCM 16/48 and 5.1 in Dolby Digital and/or DTS.

Don't dismiss SACD on the basis of one disc though. There are some great multichannel discs out there, hope you can find some to your tastes. (See www.sa-cd.net for the full list and reviews)

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Spooky, as a Denon owner I think you should read this before investing in Dual Disc.

Like Mandel, I really do have reservations about this format.

5. spuddler

spuddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi,there's a free DualDisc with 'Hi-FiChoice' Magazine out now in shop's,music on it is good IMO(Mag £3.80 July2005 edition on cover)
    Cheer's BOB

6. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Pretty much have reservations myself, may buy one and try it out but after listening to DVD-A and giving SACD another going over Im more than happy with these 2 formats :smashin: without jumpin into a rushed format like Dual Disc, about the only good thing about it is it has more mainstream artists using it
    Thanks for the replies
    Spooks

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yes, but don't forget that not all are putting DVD-A on the DVD side, merely DD 5.1 mixes.

I bought the UK version of the latest Springsteen album which in the USA is a Dual Disc (it's 2 separate discs in the UK). In terms of dynamics, resolution, detail, ambience and timing -and any other area you care to name- the CD played on my CD deck completely buries the 5.1 mix played on the DVD player (and I'm using an £800 DVD player).

8. spuddler

spuddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi,the FREE DualDisc which come's with Hi-Fi Choice Mag feature's track's taken from full DualDisc release's.The DVD side as the same track's as the CD side but in DVD-Audio(MLP Lossless encoding)+ video clip's etc.
    BOB

9. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dolby Digital is a :rolleyes:ing joke when it comes to multichannel music. Full bitrate DTS would make it a bit more worth handing money over for. :mad:

10. spuddler

spuddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi,to expand on my previous post,the free DualDisc has 16bit/44.1kHz stereo on CD side and 24bit/96kHz multichannel DVD-Audio +DolbyDigital 5.1 on the video footage on DVD side.I know the CD side is not Redbook,CD side will play on my Panny DMR-E55 and Sony Radio/Tape/CD Player but my Limit900se will not load the CD side.
    BOB

11. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    This months' Hi-Fi Choice is giving away a free Dual Disc so now's yer chance to try it out :thumbsup:

Also Ringo Starr's new album Choose Love will be available in both CD and Dual Disc form in early June :smashin:

13. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Just received 3 dualdiscs from amazon.... more after I play..will have spare copies (DD) of Miles Davis and NIN Downward Spiral in the next couple of weeks..

14. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Got Hi Fi Choice with the free disc today.

"CD" side plays OK in my Marantz CD deck, and the DVD-A side plays in my Pioneer DVD 757ai through a Pioneer AX5i.

However - I cannot for the life of me get the DVD-A side to play in hi-res 5.1 - it only plays in 2 channel. Plays the DD 5.1 track fine.

Only menu options are 5.1 hi-res and 5.1 DD.

All my other DVD-As and SACDs are playing in his res-multi channel with no problem.

15. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    very strange :eek:

16. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The plot thickens.

The on-screen readout of the DVD player states that it is playing in hi-res 5.1, but the speaker indicator on the amp is showing 96kHz (hi-res) but only the L & R fronts lit up, and that's all I'm getting soundwise. Not getting this problem with any other DVD-A disc.

Also just popped the disc into my PC drive and it will not access the DVD-ROM content (plays standard DVD content OK). Menu screen flashes on for a second then disappears.

Seems like the dread DualDisc compatability problems.

Especially ironic with the DVD-A content as Pioneer is one of the companies involved in the production of the disc. :rolleyes:

17. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    OK - firing on all thrusters on the audio front. 5.1 Hi-Res achieved.

But get this. It would appear that the act of loading the Dual Disc had the effect of resetting the audio output on my DVD player.

This is what happened. Put in DualDisc and could only get 2 channel sound. Thought this was an amp problem as the DVD display was showing 5.1, but the amp was showing only L & R fronts.

Powered down both DVD and amp as I thought it might have been an i-Link sync problem. Powered up again then tried a few more DVD-As. No problems - all 5.1 Hi-Res. Put in the DualDisc and everything went 2 channel again. Re-tried a DVD-A that had been fine a few moments before and like the DualDisc, suddenly it would only play 2 channel. Tried a DVD-Video and again only 2-channel. :mad:

After trying everything at the amp end, I explored all the menu options on the DVD player and discovered that the default audio output had been switched from 5.1 to 2 channel. Now there is no way to do this other than through the menu, and I have never been there since the day I set the machine up, almost a year ago.

Problem seems to have been solved by changing the audio output to 5.1 while the DualDisc was loaded. Even after power-down then switched back on it still works. Almost if it had "learned" to stay in 5.1 when the DualDisc was loaded.

Very strange. :confused:

PC still doesn't like the DVD-ROM layer, neither does the laptop. :(

18. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Are you aware that the 5.1 mix on the DVD side of Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" is not Hi-Res DVD-A but merely Dolby Digital?

No real point in buying this when there is a Hi-Res SACD Hybrid version available.

19. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My universal player has a similar glitch that's owing to a software bug. I have the default setting for SACD set to 5.1 (should be no great surprise if you've read any of my posts in this thread :) ). If I put in an SACD that doesn't have a MCH layer, it automatically plays the two channel mix, as it should. However, the machine defaults to two channel in SACD and I have to go into the setup to re-select MCH as the default. It's annoying, and I was very upset about it when I first discovered this problem (I'd been using it for months in two channel only as I'd not set up the MCH speaker/receiver gear). After a week or so, I calmed down and realized there were far worse things to worry about in life. Marantz would fix it if I bothered to send it in (requires upgraded operating software) but it's not such a major hassle. Your DualDisc experience reminded me of this. Perhaps the operating software in your machine has trouble with the format and defaults back to two channel.

Eh, all these newfangled formats. Maybe we should just stick to windup grammophones. Lot less trouble. ;)

20. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yes that's what I thought. Though as I've said, it seems to have "learnt" what to do. Just popped the DualDisc in this morning after the kit had been powered down over night and everything is hunky dory.

Did an A-B-C comparison of:

A. The CD layer in the universal deck

B. The DVD-A layer in the universal deck

C. The CD layer in the CD deck

In the universal the DVD-A layer definitely wiped the floor with the CD layer as expected. However once again the CD player shone over DVD-A. Much more sense of scale and body to the music, with more fine detail realised.

For example, on the opening track there was more of a sense of realism and body to the slide guitar sound. On the video extras you can see she's using various Dobros/ National guitars (the ones with the metal centres like on the "Brothers In Arms" cover). Well the CD layer instantly conveys the "metallic" acoustic character of the instrument much more realistically than the DVD-A deck.

The music on the CD deck overall had an improved sense of pace and timing too.

Once again I am left wondering, how much am I going to have to spend on Hi-Res equipment to be truly "wowed" by the formats. :confused: