1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual CS Ultras, K1, Rane and a little black box

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Infinity, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Infinity

Infinity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted to tell somebody :)

I read this forum for about a month before my flexible friend started crying.

I wish to thank you all for the knowledge that I was able to flick through.

Needless to say I felt that the UK was a couple of CS Ultras short, so after several mails to Ron I was happy to order.

A few notes to any others considering purchasing SVS.

Their service is second to none. Shame that people living in England have to contact a different country to recieve that level of service.

Their advice is not pushy. Ron advised that there was no way I would need TWO subs for my room ( but it would be fun )

K1 amp does get very warm. Consider airflow in AV rack before shunting amp behind closed doors. I have bought a few very quiet 120mm computer fans to help keep things call on long runs of music/film. However, even though the heat on the amp was surprising ( certainly hot rather than warm ) the thermal overload showed no sign of cutting in - which leads be to believe that it was only stretching its legs. The fans therefore are for my piece of mind.

The PERFORMANCE.
    Simply stated I have never felt anything like it. They sound good too.
    Have only had one friend to visit this week and the look on his face during Jurassic Park III - running into the stampede to get away from the Raptors was well worth every penny.

UK import tax and VAT.
    I am slightly miffed that I can order something from the States that constitutes great value for money, and then get hit my our Government to the tune of 4.5% import tax, with a further charge for VAT on top.
    We even have to pay VAT on the import tax :(
    20% of my outlay went straight to the Goverment.

As soon as i sort the rest of the room out I am inviting a few friends over to watch LOTT trilogy. I think they are all going to be surprised ... but as stated on the SVS site, when the fear subsides the grins appear.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'll be your friend :D

3. Infinity

Infinity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian - having already browsed your informative input to many people I'm happy to say that the structural damage deing caused at my home is partly your fault :)

Tried Jurassic park III again today and headed straight for the stampede.

It was a new sensation, I have never felt my nostrils vibrate before :)

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    Get your nose checked out then - either that or stopped sniffing the sub driver ;)

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There's a pretty good stampede in Return of the King when those giant elephant thingies come thundering in but if you want to try something completely different give Moulin Rouge a whirl and if you haven't felt that film before you will be pleasantly surprised. That is assuming that you are one of the 50% that love it and not one of the 50% that hate the film

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    and heres me thinking you were Mr 10% :D

7. Infinity

Infinity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean correct placement of two sub tubes is not one up each nostril ?

Have not seen Moulin Rouge yet, not sure that it would be my cup of tea. My better half however has seen it and i think would like to watch it again with her friends.
    Will give it a try.

Now, just need to find something to do tonight.

First - checklist.
    Girlfriend out = Yes
    Windows shut = Yes
    DVD's lined up = Yes

Looks like i will be about later. Right now I am getting the urge to go and give those subs some company :)

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    :laugh:

Enjoy the testing:)

9. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Infinity

Have you contacted Tom at SVS about the heat produced by your amp?

I wouldn't take it for granted that it's supposed to run hot just because it does.... :suicide:

You know you've made an awful lot of SVS owners (and others) very jealous don't you? :devil:

I don't even want to imagine how they sound.

I'm a complete wimp above 110dBs @ below 30Hz myself! :blush:

Nimby :D

10. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56

Infinity - I agree 110% with you. Dealing with SVS is an almost startlingly good experience, and that's not because they do anything that special, it just shows up the shortcomings that I am sure many of us have experienced in this country.

11. Infinity

Infinity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nimby - have not had a chance to set them up properly, been too busy at work :(
    I have had the pleasure of about 4 hours of cd listening and 4 films sincs the black towers of destruction arrived.

Pink Floyd upset my neighbour whilst he was is bed, He said he could feel vibrations through his bed, on the second floor of his detached house :) :) :)

Little unfortunate because I do not wish to upset the fellow and did not have the amp cranked any near full.

The K1 amp does produce a HUGE amount of heat. I discussed this with SVS beofre purchase and had a look around several US sites selling the Crown. Apparently there is no fan, the whole casing is one huse heatsink, just need to allow airflow around the case for convection to do its thing. However, if considering rackmount with limited air flow a few fans to help the air circulate does not go amiss. I will build a rack for the gear under the stairs, and will put some ( 4 ) 27db computer 120mm fans into the rack to make sure everything keeps nice and cool.

I figure that I need to have my close neaighbours all go out, and be feeling really brave ( stupid ) before i crank that amp to full.

Will report back on setup when I get a bit more free time from work.

Wishing you all the best.

Infinity

= SVS customer wearing silly grin :)

12. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

The Crown K series are definite "heat engines". They actually produce more heat when at idle than when supplying a lot of voltage to the subwoofers. Very good amplifiers though...I like to leave a few *on* during winter just to keep the place toasty..:)

Tom V.