1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dual CPU

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Astaroth, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Currently I have a Hercules Prophet 2 GTS (32MB) graphics card in my PC

(Tyan Tiger 133 mother board, 2* Intel P3 - 733 CPUs, 0.5 gb RAM)

When I first put the graphics card in my PC it was outstanding and worked perfectly. I updated the drivers a few months later and it has never been the same since, the picture frequently freezes on any 3d gaming unless the card is limited as much as possible under the BIOS - and then of cause it is very slow.

Can anyone suggest a graphics card that will work well with my unusual dual CPU motherboard for under £150 as my Mrs is now wanting to play games on the PC again rather than the PS2

Cheers

2. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Sorry there - but i wouldn't reccomend you spend anyting on that machine!

You won't manage to run any recent game (at a playable level) anyway - since the performace bottleneck would be the cpus anyway!

What games are you trying to play?

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    It might be better to upgrade to a new Mother board and either an Intel CPU or AMD CPU.

Most people say that dual CPU systems are useless since most applications will ony use 1 CPU at a time leaving the other one ideling. Its best to have 1 high spec CPU than 2 medium or low specs CPUs.

Im sure there are benefits to having dual CPUs but those benefits wont work with games.

For gaming a good 64 bit CPU or High end P4 3ghz or above is best. 1gig Ram (PC2700/3200) and a Radeon or NVidia card. Most games these days are designed to run well on either one of these makers cards.
    Unfortunately it means that any other graphics cards makers are left out in the cold.

You might want to rebuild your PC and salvage as much as you can from your old one.