Dual Core and P4 motherboard compatibility

Ninjapaul

Novice Member
Hi there.

I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 that I got from my work. It has a P4 3.0Ghz cpu, 2GB RAM, ATI 1650XT gfxcard. My problem is that the processor is letting the system down for gaming and DVD encoding. Is it possible to swap it out for a dual core cpu. Online I have seen that it is LGA775 but will the mobo be compatible with dual core? Thanks in advance.

bjd

Distinguished Member
Didn't Dell do a dual-core PentiumD model of the 620? If they use the same motherboard in it, then it should be OK. Why not give them a ring?

Ninjapaul

Novice Member
Could do, my mate works in their support call centre. I was basically just a bit confused as to whether there was some sort of difference between a P4 mobo and a dual core mobo, even if they use the same socket type.

treacle

Novice Member
Hi there.

I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 that I got from my work. It has a P4 3.0Ghz cpu, 2GB RAM, ATI 1650XT gfxcard. My problem is that the processor is letting the system down for gaming and DVD encoding. Is it possible to swap it out for a dual core cpu. Online I have seen that it is LGA775 but will the mobo be compatible with dual core? Thanks in advance.
775 is the CPU socket, you need the moboboard Model.to check the spec.

Also the manufacturer

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom