1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual boot windows XP

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Pulsar, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello guys.

I have recently brought a plsama screen, and as I thought, it looks awesome when driven by my HTPC. The ting is, my LCD (20" Dell) and plasma (42" SD Panny) work best when fed totally different resolutions. I find that the plasma looks great for PAL when fed 1066*600 (600p) and the Dell it's native resolution of 1600*1200. Well, at 1066*600, the desktop is OK to use, but I think I would be better with a front-end like MyHTPC running.

The best way that I can do this, is to have 2 separate installs of Windows XP on the one system, and then I can choose at boot-up which one to go into. So my question is, can I do this with Windows XP pro?

If so, how do I configure it? Do I install both versions on the same hard drvie, or on separate partitions or what?

As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

2. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116

Yes...

Yes format the hard disk into 2 partitions, boot from the windows xp cd then when it asks you to format the hard disk create a xx size partition and install as normal, then once all finished, boot from the xp disk again, when it comes to choosing where to install it, specify the other non formatted partition.

Make sure you have all your info backed up and all the software.

3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi Buzz.

Thanks loads for the info.. i shall let you know how I get on.

Will I get to choose which windows to boot to when I start the computer?

Cheers

Rob

4. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Yes, you can change the names once XP is installed to make life easier, if you right click My Computer, go to Properties, Advanced tab, and click onto Settings button under the STARTUP and RECOVERY. You will see a EDIT button, click this and it will open up notepad and you will see this (this is what mine looks like)

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Cubase SX" /fastdetect

just change the names (the bits in blue) to what ever you fancy. and then save the changes.

Let me know if you have any problems

5. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    To me that sounds like the complicated option...My ATI card allows for attaching hot-keys to specific resolutions. In addition it also has got a triple head output and on each output I can assign a different resolution...
    That is a much simpler solution as you don't have to choose at start-up....

Oh and my computer is a laptop running natively at 1920x1200!!! So if you are talking desktop I would just upgrade the graphics card if it can't do it already...Actually as you computer can do those resolutions it should be able to do those tricks...

6. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi dejongj.

To be honnest, i wanted a dual boot system for more reasons than just the resolution. My first install that I use for general computer use and gaming etc can be used to test new drivers, and can be optomised without compromising my HTPS install of windows which is nice and stable. I have a Radeon X800 XT, it has VGA, DVI and component output, but I wasn't aware that I could run each head at a different resolution at the same time. Can you give me a quick guide on how to do this please?

Cheers

Rob

P.S It is all setup and working flawlessly. Many thanks buz :)

7. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    First I am glad it is all working the way you want it...

The X800 is a nice card, bet Doom3 is great on it...

To set different resolutions for the different outputs, right-click the desktop, select properties, select settings, select Advanced. You should now get the ATI control panels, or if you use the Omega drivers get their version. From within there select the displays tab, when a display is available the name is not greyed out. Then simply click the name and you get the option to set different resolutions. I took me a while to find it as the name doesn't look like a button, but it works perfectly for me...

I.e. in business meetings doing a powerpoint presentation, I have got the powerpoint presenters view on my laptop at 1920x1200 so I get a good overview. No business data projectors can take that resolution, actually powerpoint cant display at that resolution, so I set the projector (labelled monitor in displays) to 1024x768....Drawback of doing it that way is that you can only use 'official' resolutions, so no powerstrip stuff...