1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual boot questions

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Endeavour, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Endeavour

Endeavour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am about to rebuild my main general purpose PC which is kindly donating its existing parts to a HTPC. I use the GP PC for everything from Sage to gaming. One of its main purposes will be encoding video and audio material to put into a NAS based media library which will be accessed by MCE machines. I wanted to keep this task of the HTPC itself because it is already going to be busy enough being a PVR and DVD player etc.

This machine has been in service a long time and is probably on its third major hardware upgrade. Parts of the setup go back to 98/ME. As you might expect, its now bloated with redundant software, orphaned dll's and is getting ever "quirkier" in operation. However, the thought of doing a clean install and having to identify the useful software and reload it all has never been that attractive. :(

What I would like to do is to start afresh but using XP 64 as a base. This is to make best use of the new Athlon XP64 chip (and an XP64X2 later) and its better performance on jobs like encoding. I am not confident that everything will work on XP64 yet, so I want to keep the existing 32bit installation. When I have everything up and running I might remove the existing 32bit installation and do a clean install, probably using MCE.

I haven't done dual boot before so I have a few questions:

• Will XP64 have its own independent registry?
    • Do I have to reinstall the software I want to use whilst logged into XP64 before I can use it in XP64?
    • If so, can I reinstall the software into the same folders or will I have a duplicate set of "Program Files"?

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    each os on a multi boot machine will have it's own registry.
    Yes, you'll need to install it seperatly on every OS you want to use it with

The thing with XP64 is that to take full advantage you need 64 bit drivers and apps...and there aren't that many apps available yet.... ho the joys of being an early adoptor

3. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I would advise you to either use seperate hard drives or create 2 partitions on your single hard drive i.e one for each instalation.
    I have an AMD 64 bit PC I was running X64 now I am back to 32 bit XP simply because X64 is too new and not many 64 bit drivers are out yet I am going to install it on my other HDD though for dual boot like yourself then when all drivers are released do the move because as its making use of the 64bit CPU it is much faster and is very stable like 32 bit XP.

4. Endeavour

Endeavour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Skunkpipe

Am I able to reinstall applications over the top of themselves for the 2 OS's to save space or will I need 2 lots of programs?

I seem to recall reading that XP64 creates a 32bit and 64bit Program Files folders but I presumed this is just to keep true 64bit apps apart and nothing to do with dual booting.