dual boot problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by paul1672, May 24, 2005.

1. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    hi there.
    i've recently been having virus problems with my htpc and couldn't solve them with virus software so decided a clean install was the way to go.
    upon doing this i encountered some problems and now i have a dual boot scenario where one of the operating systems boots and the other don't exist if selected.
    it seems that its leaving traces of the operating system even after i've formatted the drive.
    i will add i have an ide h/drive and two sata drives and the sata drives are unrecognised until the operating system is installed and the sata drives are enabled.......
    this is totally freaking me out as i dont even want dual booting.
    i just want one operating system installed.......
    i've tried formatting the ide drive 3 times now and each time upon installing a fresh operating system i still end up with two windows xp operating systems.....
    i'll also add this operating system is mce2005....
    does anyone have any idea what is happening?
    please help me....
    a desperate paul

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was this how it was before? I had a similar problem (Ghost though not a virus) and somehow the Bios changed the boot disk order. This put the boot.ini on a different disk.

Dave

3. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    i never experienced this problem before i tried to do a clean install and i get the impression this has nothing to do with the viruses i had.
    before i attempted the clean install the operating system was on one of the sata drives but,due to the sata drives now not being recognised until operating system is installed i'm having to attempt to install it on the ide drive.
    it just seems somewhere along the line the install went wrong and now i seem to have traces of the first attempt i had of doing the fresh install on my c: drive and everytime i try to correct it by formatting it i still get the same result of dual booting with one not even being of use.....
    very weird....
    surely this can be fixed????
    paul

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds like your SATA disks were in compatibility mode and now aren't.

Check the Bios. That's what happened to me. At first the PC wouldn't boot. I changed the boot order but XP couldn't see the SATA disks to boot from. I changed the mode and then I was able to recover the installation.

Try disconnecting the IDE disk altogether until you have XP booting from SATA.

Dave

5. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    well,i sorted it.
    maybe the long way but at least i got there.
    i had to swap the operating system from the ide drive to one of the sata drives using seagates discwizard program.
    this still gave me dual booting problems.
    i then disconnected both sata drives,formated the ide drive and re-installed the operating system on the ide drive.
    i then re-connected both sata drives and converted the operating system to one of the sata drives and just re-formatted the ide drive.
    all is now fine and dandy.....
    long morning but got there in the end.
    and all because original fresh install went wrong......
    damn pc's.
    thanks for the advice though mate.
    paul