1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual boot options options with a HTPC ??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cosmic023, Mar 29, 2003.

1. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi All,

I need to know is it possible to set-up a dual boot system for use with a HTPC ??

One partition could be for HTPC use, and the other partition for everything else ??

Cheers

Cosmic023

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can create profiles, would that do?

3. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's nothing to stop you having a dual boot system if you need one, though profiles would probably be a more efficient solution. It all depends on your needs, really.

4. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Well i need a PC for day to day use, and a PC for HTPC use. I can't afford to have a dedicated PC for each use, so i thought this would be an easier solution ??

As this would be my first venture into the HTPC world, i would like to try it before i go head and set-up a dedicated unit for HTPC use and see how i get on with it.

What is the ideal OS for HTPC use ?? I use win2k for general day to day use, and i don't like XP, so it'll have to be between win98se and win2k pro.

What are your thoughts ??

PC Spec:
    Intel PIII 1ghz (Socket 370), Gigabyte GA6-IEML Mainboard, 512mb SDRAM, GE-Force 4 440 Graphics with tv-out, on board AC97 sound.

Cheers

Cosmic023

5. EuropeanBaron

EuropeanBaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the case above I'd definitely go dual boot to stop the day-to-day stuff affecting HTPC performance. Powerquest, amongst others, have utilities to make this easy.

6. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks for the help.........

I've got a copy of Partition Magic / Boot magic. So i'll go the dual boot option.

Is it possible to run two copies of win2k pro on the same drive ??

Cheers

Cosmic023

7. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Its easy to set up dual boot with 2K/winxp but you will need either two hard drives OR two partitions on one harddrive (or you will give yourself a major headache). You can mix OS but depending on which ones depends where they need to go.

win98 always needs to be on the primary partition of the first drive ie "C" and needs to be installed 1st. If you then want to add W2K or XP then just set the bios to boot from cd, insert the install disk and then install to the other drive/partiion. Windows will automatically sort out the boot manager for you.

You can use multiple versions of w2k or xp if you like or even create tri or more boot systems.

If you want to HTPC this is the only sane way to go about it.:lesson:

8. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi John,

Cheers for the info ! I had known about the info about win98 & win2k working together.

I've had this system working before, but as i'm really used to win2k, and due to the unstability of win98 i prefer to stick to win2k.

The only problem was i did a dual boot system with win2k (Primary Partition) & winXP (Second Partition) last summer, but i had problems with both programs sharing files.

I've now got used to using ntfs partitions for os use, and fat32 for data use. So i'll install a copy of win2k on each partition on my os drive !!

Is this ok ?? I can't see why it shouldn't be any trouble ??

Cheers

Cosmic023

9. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've never had 2 W2K but I've got a triboot xp and dual 98/XP amongst my machines, both on partitioned single drives. Just make sure that you install to the correct partition as some programs pick a default location that might be the wrong OS.

Another tip is to alter the boot.ini file into meaningful names so you know which one to pick.

10. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi John,

Many thanks again for the info.

I'm currently sourcing all the parts to build my exsisting computer into a HTPC / Regular PC.

Soon as i've done this, i'll build the PC, and reload win2k again.

Cheers

Cosmic023

11. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Running x2 W2K OS's will be perfectly OK as long as you put them in different partitions, so you wouldn't be able to use an automated install for the second one. You must specify its proposed location during setup.

It really shouldn't matter whether you have FAT32 or NTSC partitions from the perspective of file-sharing. I have used quadruple boot systems with various different file systems between them and triple and dual boots with the same ones; it makes no odds at all. All the Windows OS's will happily coexist and if you've had problems it wasn't because of incompatibility; something 'else' must have been at fault there. NTSC is the better one to go for on W2K and XP, whatever, for all drives and partitions.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.