• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Dual BK XXLS400 vs REL T7i solely for music

craig808

I have just ordered some REL T7i's but now wondering if I should have gone for the BK's

So if anyone has had experience with both I would love to hear your views? They will be set up in my 2 channel HiFi system using the Arcam SA30 and MA Silver 8's

wine man

Wrong choice IMHO, BK are much better value. Remember their subs are ex factory so there is no dealer mark up, a £500 BK would be approx £800-900 in a shop which brings it up to the level of the REL T7i. I am using a XXLS400 with a £4000 pair of speakers and it sounds stunning. I have heard the REL, it is very good but the BK matches it to my ears and is a lot cheaper for the reasons I mentioned. Your decision of course but what influenced your decision?

dazed&confused

I have a BK XXLS400, which is used in a very competent Lyngdorf based system .

I couldn't say I am particularly unhappy in any way but the two things that come to my mind are 1) I have heard better, albeit in an expensive home cinema system rather than stereo, and 2) I've had my BK for a very long time now - seems a bit lazy that they're still selling the same model; couldn't they have made improvements by now?

p.s.s I have zero knowledge whatsoever of REL

craig808

Yesterday I spoke at great length with Tom from BK and Rob from REL. I have absolutely no doubt at all that both brands are excellent and have many attributes.

After a lot of deliberating and based on what they both offere for my individual needs, I went with REL.

In the end I decided to change my order from the T7i’s to the T9i’s

gibbsy

REL do make really good musical subs, very fast and responsive. I've had my modest T5 for over eight years now. Late last year it required a visit to the doctors to replace a blown resistor, not bad as it has been used almost on a daily basis. It's really too small for my room and I'd be far far better off with a T7i at the very least but the boss is very much against a big sub, she really does hate bass and we don't use it for stereo music just multi channel.

DrH

Yesterday I spoke at great length with Tom from BK and Rob from REL. I have absolutely no doubt at all that both brands are excellent and have many attributes.

After a lot of deliberating and based on what they both offere for my individual needs, I went with REL.

In the end I decided to change my order from the T7i’s to the T9i’s
Interesting to know why you choose the Rel?
I have had the XXLS400 for 10 years Underpinning Kef Q300 soon to be R3’s.
The last thing I have not changed in my set up
It is tamed with an anti mode in my set up

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom