Dual amplifier set up

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Chrisp7091, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Chrisp7091

Chrisp7091

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone know if its possible to buy some kind of switch allowing one set of speakers to be used with 2 amps?.

What I'm hoping to do is have separate amplifiers for music and movies and be able to switch between the two using 1 set of main speakers. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers.

2. CDphobe

CDphobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Yes, its certainly possible. QED used to make suitable units, although they're discontinuing them (see MA19 at http://www.qed.co.uk/acc/acc.html). There are probably other commercially available products, or you could make one yourself. My guess is that you'd need to make sure that you have a break before make switch, and also that the switch is AFTER the amplifiers so that the outputs of the two amplifiers are not connected to each other at any time. This is at your own risk though, and remember that the absolute purists will point out that the extra connectors and switch contacts will degrade the overall sound quality.

3. Chrisp7091

Chrisp7091

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers for that. Do you have any idea just how much the sound would be affected?. Would it offset the benefits of keeping the music and movie amps seperate?. The alternative approach of trying to find an amp that serves both ends seems fraught with difficulties and compromises. Unless I spend a fortune on high end gear, getting my hands on amplification that works well in both areas seems nigh on impossible!.

BTW, as the QED switch is now discontinued, does anyone know of another manufacturer producing these devices (just in case I can't get hold of a QED switch)?.

Ta.

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    qed still make a switch, but it is designed to be wallmounted, meaning a bit bigger price tag!

5. Chrisp7091

Chrisp7091

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Any idea what the model number is?.

6. CDphobe

CDphobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Blimey Chrisp, with the information that there are wall mount switches available, and the details of the QED web site address, I'd have thought finding the WM19 would have been straightforward :eek: ! Its on page http://www.qed.co.uk/acc/wallmount.html and you can source it for £44.99 at http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=2482, or £42.50 at http://www.hificables.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/11026/groupID/712/categoryID/2409/v/ amongst others

As for sound quality, difficult to say, but i'd say you'd just just about be able to hear it in my set-up, but only if you really tried to.

7. Chrisp7091

Chrisp7091

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes - sorry, I was being lazy. It's been a long day!.

I did find it after I mailed. Looks quite neat. I'm currently using QED Silver Anniv biwire, which can be a bit bright with some amps I've tried - wonder if the switch would show the same tendencies?. Still, for 40 quid or so, I geuss its worth the risk to see how it effects the sound I get. It'd certainly solve my problems if it works well.

Cheers.

8. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've used the WM14 and that didn't really cause any change in sound that i could hear.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    Chrisp7091

I don't suppose your AV Receiver/Amplifier has Line Outs that would enable you to 'cascade' the front LR signals down to your Stereo amp.

Best regards

Joe

10. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, depending on what amps you have (I have nad c350 stereo amp and yamaha 620 av amp) - now, I use the nad to drive the main speakers and the yamaha to drive the rest...the sound quality excellent! much better than using a speaker swith I would have thought...

the amps are connected together using a interconnect

the only downside I have with my setup is -
    when I'm switching between listening to cds and watching dvds I have to remove the interconnect between the amps and plug my subwoofer to the respective amp that I'm going to use, but thistakes 2 minutes...

hope this helps