Dual 505 - Low Audio Level

miket67m

Standard Member
I have recently replaced the needle (not the whole cartridge on the end of the arm) in my Dual 505 in readiness to start recording my vinyl on to CD. It has been connected to a Harmon Kardon AVR300RDS which has inputs for CD, DVD, Vid1, Vid2 and Tape (no gram deck). Irrespective of the input I use, I am getting very low audio levels. The AVR needs needs to have full vol up, to get any, albeit small, sound. The HK HD720 CD player is working fine on the CD inputs. Any ideas?

Mike:lease:

miket67m

Standard Member
Aaron,

Thanks I did wonder if that was the problem. It used to work with my old Yamaha amp but that had a specific input for a vinyl deck.

Off to the shops .......

Mike

sirlayabout

yeah I probably would reccomend the project phonobox as it is great (used to have one) but it depends really on how many vinyls your converting and if you think its worth it. :)

- Aaron

miket67m

Standard Member
hifigear,

Thanks. Do you know what cartridge comes standard with the dual. I no longer have the manual.

Mike

miket67m

Standard Member
Phonebox arrived and working great (thanks Geoff). Had to get rid of a 50Hz hum, but then found the grnd from the deck had dopped off the amp. Need to work with the levels on the PC and in Audacity to get the recordings right - but pretty good so far. One new odd feature of the old dual 505, occasionally when I start it, it goes backwards, which is the first time it has done that - any ideas?

Mike

formbypc

Novice Member
One new odd feature of the old dual 505, occasionally when I start it, it goes backwards, which is the first time it has done that - any ideas?

None, apart from that I would start the turntable rotating in the right direction by hand before switching it on. Or just leave it rotating 24/7/365

I have a Linn LP12 and Rega 3, and always start their platters rotating by hand before I engage the motor.....

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom