1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual 26" & Hitachi 26LD6200, Setting the record straight!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by DaveP, Jul 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In various posts I have expressed concern about the 15:9 aspect ratio of these sets.

Tonight I decided to compare the VE Geometry test running on my 36" Sony CRT and the Dual 26" running via a DVD Player and from a PC.

Here are the pictures

Sony 36" TV

Dual 26" from Panasonic S95 DVD Player

PC Connected via DVI at 1280x768

PC Connected via DVI at 1280x720 (note the thin bars top and bottom)

You can see, rather worryingly for me, that the Sony from a Denon 2900 DVD player exhibits the same cropped picture as the Dual!

Whilst this probably raises more questions than it answers I thought I would share it with you!

I tried the various zoom options on the Dual when playing the disk in the panny player but I was unable to reproduce the true 16:9 picture obtained when the PC res was 1280x720.

Apologies for the flash!

Dave

2. Alan_Semple

Alan_Semple
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you/Could you do these again with the DVD player set to "4:3 Letterbox" please ?

I did something similar recently which displayed as a small picture, it did not have "borders", and I had to use the "Zoom" option, but it was while I was in ASDA so I could not get much time to assess the picture properly.
    What setting was the Sony set to ?
    Normal (4:3) Auto or Smart ?

Where are the "circles" in relation to the screen borders when it is set to Normal/4:3 ?
    I was wondering whether it's the "Width" and "Height" (engineering settings) on the set which is "Overscanning".
    ie How much of the actual picture is "missing" ?

Perhaps this could be caused by a "Smart WSS option" triggering a "Wide" setting because it is confused by all the black sections in the test scene.

Some BBC test cards can be found at:
    http://www.meldrum.co.uk/mhp/testcard/index.html
    When I used to work in the trade, I would set TV's up to "Overscan" by just about half to two thirds of the coloured squares framing the borders.

FWIW
    http://www.meldrum.co.uk/mhp/testcard/bbc_test/testcard_w.jpg
    The markers along the horizontal line look like 16:9, 14:9 and 4:3 respectively.

Apologies if I have asked this question before:
    Does Media Cemter allow you to "tailor" the TV "output" display resolution ?

Thanks for all your efforts so far
    Alan

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, such a lot to take in! I'll see what I can do when I have the time.

How do you want the TV screen displayed? 4:3 or full (15:9)?

It was set to "Wide" ie, 16:9. This is a forced wide mode and remains no matter which mode is presented to the screen.

I'll try to get pic later.

Thanks for the links

You can "Zoom" within MC in full screen mode in a similar way to a w/s TV. You can only change the screen res in the usual way, as far as I know.

Thanks for the interest

Dave

4. Alan_Semple

Alan_Semple
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At your own pace
    What I want to know is how the DUAL reacts when it's the DVD player that is doing the compression of the anamorphic material on the DVD.

If it's not the TV doing the compression perhaps DVD pictures will be displayed correctly.
    ie not taller than they really should be.

So I would have thought that "Normal" (4:3) failing that "Letterbox" or "Auto" on the Dual should allow it to react to the Scart voltage levels applied to Pin 8.
    Certainly not Zoom or "Fill All" :)

FWIW
    It's nice to see that I am not alone in finding this aspect ratio switching issue confusing:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-19640.html
    In your own time

Your welcome

So are you running MCE at 1280 x 720 ?
    It's mutual

Thanks
    Alan

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I gave up with auto switching years ago with the Sony. It never got it right! It just coudn't cope with 14:9, 4:3 and 16:9. A DVD movie at 2.35:1 was mutilated!

These days I never watch anything on terrestrial (14:9) so I am manually switching between 16:9 and 4:3. I just wish there was a quick way to do it rather than scrolling up the various other options.

I run MCE in 1280x720 yes, as I do to watch the odd DVD using PowerDVD. Otherwise it's 1280x768. I use powerStrip to quickly switch between them.

Dave

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I set the player to be Letterbox and I set the TV to be Normal (4:3).

This is 16:9

This is Letterbox

And this is 4:3

Is there anything else you'd like to see?

Cheers

Dave

7. Alan_Semple

Alan_Semple
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Dave

No flash on Pic 2 and Pic 3 ?
    The frame on both pictures show up as completely blacked out.

Am I correct in assuming that Pics 1, 2 and 3 all occupied the same amount of space on the Dual's screen ?

ie a shrunken picture as shown in Pic 1

Odd how with the DVD flag set to 16:9 that the set is now cropping the source shown in Pic 1

With your standard DVD player source now set to 4:3 Letterbox rather than at its "Wide" 16:9 setting.

Did any of these tests leave you with a "Mode" which you feel is the most "accurate" to use ?

ie did the "Letterbox" setting in conjunction with any other "image" setting leave you with something that was the closest to what you get with MCE set to 1280x720 ?
    ie the correct aspect ratio

My "flexible friend" breathed a sigh of relief today.
    My local ASDA now has "holiday items" (suitcases) on sale in the demo area today.

Some were wide and some were tall ........ :)

Alan

BTW
    Where did you get your Test Disc ?